Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radbacker

well finished American Gods while on holidays and glad i stuck through the first few chapter, got a bit of a Clive Barker feel to the whole thing and certainly didn't go the way I thought it would.
GOt the last two 100 Bullets collections to read now but think I'm gonna have to go back throught the first 11 to remember whats goiung on.  Also got V7 of Fables to do and V5 of Ex-Machina too.
Book wise I'm waiting for the new Stephen Erickson Malazan novel, Dust of Dreams (i think) lots more magic and destruction on the way.

CU Radbacker

SmallBlueThing

Way of the Barefoot Zombie, by "Jasper" Bark of this parish.

Had been put off by so-so reviews and jumped to 'Tide of Souls' first- which I thoroughly enjoyed. However, a hundred and thirty pages into Barefoot, and I'd say it was not only just as good- but also has added laffs.

Definately worth a punt.

SBT

mogzilla

johnathon strange and mr norrel...well i will be reading it in a bit .got a first edition  today.

The Legendary Shark

Just finished Paul Auster's New York Trilogy.

What the f**k was that all about, then?
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Kerrin

I started that a couple of weeks ago and got as far as the odd chap who hires him, then a load of zap bang SF books turned up so I'll get back to it. I take it you you didn't fully engage with the book then Sharky.

The Legendary Shark

I tried, Kerrin. I even persevered with it all the way to the end. But I missed the point. (Unless missing the point is the point, in which case I got it...)

It's one of those books I'm going to have to read again as I'm certain that it is very clever indeed. Unfortunately, I am not very clever indeed.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Odd_Bloke

Just started reading Neil Gaiman's Sandman.  I really need to get this in GN form, as reading off of a screen really isn't the same.

Paul faplad Finch

Quote from: Odd_Bloke on 14 September, 2009, 01:10:29 AM
Just started reading Neil Gaiman's Sandman.  I really need to get this in GN form, as reading off of a screen really isn't the same.

Tell me about it.  I'm currently reading Swamp Thing off a website. (You may remember me ranting about Swamp Thing collections being crap) The thing is, the site is not exactly official and isn't the most technicaly sound. It doesn't handle double page spreads very well, varying between simply scanning them as seperate pages, which makes no sense storywise or scanning the spread in its entirety with a huge crease down the middle. I suppose I should be grateful the site exists at all really or eldse I'd be knackered trying to read this series.

All I need to do now is find a site that will let me ead al the Hellblazer issues I can't get hold of in GN form.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Bouwel

Just completed the latest Felix Castor book by Mike Carey of Hellblazer fame. Not a bad read and I wouldn't say no to another book in the series, please.

-Bouwel-
-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 14 September, 2009, 12:15:14 AM
Just finished Paul Auster's New York Trilogy.

What the f**k was that all about, then?

I'm a big Paul Auster fan and while I have no doubt at all I don't get all the meanings etc I always find him an enjoyable read. Typically his books deal with indentity and effects chance and random events have on life... well that's my take but I'm certainly no expert!

Richmond Clements

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 12 September, 2009, 04:30:48 PM
Way of the Barefoot Zombie, by "Jasper" Bark of this parish.

Had been put off by so-so reviews and jumped to 'Tide of Souls' first- which I thoroughly enjoyed. However, a hundred and thirty pages into Barefoot, and I'd say it was not only just as good- but also has added laffs.

Definately worth a punt.

SBT

Yup- I've written a review for the 2000adreview site- hasn't went up yet- but I'd agree this is a damned good book.

Kerrin

"Transition", the latest Iain Banks novel turned up today, so I'll put the "Viriconium" omnibus by M. John Harrison on hold. Quite a strange book "Viriconium", there's a dreamlike quality about the atmosphere created by Harrison, intershot with lucid, infrequent moments of action and sparse exposition, not entirely taken by it to be honest.

And I'm off to see "The Thing" (John Carpenter) on the big screen tonight, hur-hur-hur, I love that film, "... on the menu tonight...Dog Surprise!"

Tiplodocus

OOh I used to love those VIRICONIUM books.

Strangely, a lot of the way Sinister Dexter talks about the city reminds me of them.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

stacey

Quote from: Bouwel on 14 September, 2009, 07:49:39 AM
Just completed the latest Felix Castor book by Mike Carey of Hellblazer fame. Not a bad read and I wouldn't say no to another book in the series, please.

-Bouwel-

Is that Naming of The Beast? I'm halfway through it and flipping well loving it.  This is one of my favourite ongoing series, Mike Carey owns the gritty urban fantasy as far as I am concerned, the man rocks the big one!