Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

Quote from: faplad on 02 November, 2009, 12:35:42 AM
Well, while I know that there is something of a baklash towards The Wire at the moment...
Really?
We never really die.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Kerrin on 03 November, 2009, 09:44:10 PM
And The Sirens of Titan is fantastic,  I'd forgotten how much I love Kurt Vonnegut's writing. It's one of those books I wish was longer, I'm getting worryingly close to the end.

Yeah his writing style is such a delightful breeze to read, especially when you consider the dark subjects he covers.

Mike Gloady

I'd not thought of it like that, Colin, but you're absolutely right.  He really IS very easy to read which is odd considering the darkness of the material.  THere's a very wicked sense of humour in there too, a fine writer and one that I'm ashamed to say it took me so long to discover. 
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Hoagy

Not only the darkness of the material but the amazing amount of complexities to understand in Sirens initially would have been, by any other writer, very difficult to absorb.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

HOO-HAA

Just picked up a couple of Durham Red GNs to settle me back, gently, into the world of 200AD.  ;D

COMMANDO FORCES

Excellent choice there, great stories and superb artwork.

Paul faplad Finch

Quote from: The Cosh on 03 November, 2009, 09:46:34 PM
Quote from: faplad on 02 November, 2009, 12:35:42 AM
Well, while I know that there is something of a baklash towards The Wire at the moment...
Really?

Well, maybe I'm imagining it a little but I've definitely seen anti Wire sentiment in a couple of places on the web. I seem to rmember it getting a bit of stick on here a little while back. A  thread to do with shows that people didn't like despite everyone else raving about them. I remember The Wire bing quite a (un)popular choice. That and I've overheard a couple of conversations recently with people bemoaning it's popularity.

Maybe I'm making more of it than what there is. As I say, I'm still a massive fan.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

radiator

About halfway through the audio book (does that count?) of Into Thin Air by John Krakauer, a first hand account of an ill-fated 1996 attempt to climb Mount Everest. It's gripping stuff.

HOO-HAA

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 04 November, 2009, 03:48:10 PM
Excellent choice there, great stories and superb artwork.

Just about halfway through Vermin Stars. I must say, it's great stuff. Engaging and fun, with some fantastic characters. Godlokin is particularly cool.

Zarjazzer

"Ravenor" trilogy and Star Wars Invasion-Colin Wilson,(yes it is he) is art droid on that.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

TordelBack

Somebody at the local library must really like Bendis-era Avengers. Sadly, after four TPBs of the stuff, I do not.

Colin YNWA

Oh man oh man the Bendis Avengers brings out the sore nerd in me. I'm a massive traditional Avengers fan full runs (well if you include the Essentails up to 120ish) up to 320 of volume one, Full run of volume 3 and stuff like that. I REALLY gave the Bendis Avengers a full chance 'cos it was quite good comics BUT after issue 48 I gave up and let the death of [spoiler]The Wasp[/spoiler] be an end. It was an ok comic that wasn't the Avengers as I understood them. I completely accept that I'm in the minority as its so massively popular so I just need to get over it.

IAMTHESYSTEM

The Ghost stories of M. R. James. >shudder<
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Paul faplad Finch

Alice In Sunderland. My first Bryan Talbot, apart from that one shot he did for one of the christmas progs. Got it out of the library on a mad whim since it's not the kind of thing I normally read but it's beeen bloody wonderful so far. He's made a fan of me.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

Mikey

Yeah, it's a cracking read Fappers. I've been warming up to re read of it myself.

I'm up to date with Interzone and have 3 or 4 Black Static to read, then it's a full read of Transmetropolitan (got the last couple of books last xmas!)

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.