Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerrin

Ooh, just finished the first TPB of Transmetropolitan, it's ruddy good.

James Stacey

Reading the new HHGG book at the moment. Still not sure yet though. There is a lot of good about it but too many niggles, and too much blatant fan service. The style is nice and although the Guide appears to be more invasive than the Adams books (actually commenting on the narrative rather than an aside to the narrative) and the characters are well handled. There is however so much of it. Adams was exceedingly economical with his writing but this book, everything is cranked up to 11. Having [spoiler]Cthulu [/spoiler] appear was an odd choice too. Gonna stick with it though.

Thinking of getting Triumff next. Anyone read it? Doesn't appear to have been out in hardback though :( I hate paperbacks.

HOO-HAA

Still working my way through Neuromancer by William Gibson.

It's an odd read. Very compelling and delightfully character-driven, yet at times I must admit to feeling a bit lost in all the techno-jargon...

Roger Godpleton

Just started my third reading of The Crying of Lot 49. I think it's probably my favourite book ever written.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

HdE

Quote from: Kerrin on 10 November, 2009, 01:54:44 PM
Ooh, just finished the first TPB of Transmetropolitan, it's ruddy good.

Ah! I have that on my shelf, waiting to be read. I read the first story arc 'Back On The Street' a while back. It is indeed the dog's danglies.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

TordelBack

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 11 November, 2009, 12:48:58 AM
Just started my third reading of The Crying of Lot 49. I think it's probably my favourite book ever written.

That's the one with the historian of postal companies, Genghis Cohen and Dr. Hilarious?  If so, it's the only Pynchon I've ever read. I don't think I enjoyed it as much as you...

strontium_dog_90

Just received the new Stephen King book in the book, all whopping 900 pages of it. Have had a quick read of the first few pages and am looking forward to getting stuck into it. There's really nothing like a brand new King book, I look forward to it every year, I'd be lost if he ever truly did retire :-)

COMMANDO FORCES

Thanks for the heads up on that SD90, I always get the latest Stephen King novel for the missus and now I've just seen it on Amazon for £9 so I'm well happy.

strontium_dog_90

Yeah, I got it for £9, too - bargain purchase, considering I don't get my first pay from my new job til the 28th! But some things are worth finding the cash for, and a new King book is definitely one of them :-)

Alski

just read "The Umbrella Academy - Dallas"

just as good as the first volume, with Gerard Way showing immense promise with a tale that feels like a bit of vintage Alan Moore (before he went mad). In line with this, Gabriel Ba's art is like a nice cross between Kevin O'Neil and D'israli.

Well worth picking up, but you should read vol 1 first.
"Cool Stuff You Will Like"

Music, Comics, Books, Video Games, TV and Film reviews/articles.

http://cool-stuff-you-will-like.blogspot.co.uk/

Kerrin

Excellent, I thought the first volume was pretty good but then I didn't really have much of a clue who Gerard Way was, so having no preconceptions may have helped. Just lent it to a mate who's a bit of a muso and his immediate reaction was "Gerard Way? Are you sure?". Looking forward to a bit more expansion on the back story, such as, how the guy ended up with the body of a gorilla.

Alski

You'll have to wait for that explanation! There's more to come though.
"Cool Stuff You Will Like"

Music, Comics, Books, Video Games, TV and Film reviews/articles.

http://cool-stuff-you-will-like.blogspot.co.uk/

Richmond Clements

Quote from: strontium_dog_90 on 11 November, 2009, 04:55:00 PM
Just received the new Stephen King book in the book, all whopping 900 pages of it. Have had a quick read of the first few pages and am looking forward to getting stuck into it. There's really nothing like a brand new King book, I look forward to it every year, I'd be lost if he ever truly did retire :-)

Agh! I forgot about this- that's another one to add to the pile...

I'm almost finshed rerading El Sombra by our pal Al Ewing. It really is wonderful, and it's helped by hearing Al's voice in my head while reading it!

HOO-HAA

Quote from: strontium_dog_90 on 11 November, 2009, 04:55:00 PM
Just received the new Stephen King book in the book, all whopping 900 pages of it.

Good Lord! That man needs an editor!  :P

Some of King's work is amazing. Other books, however, I find terrible.

I hear this is meant to be a return to form, though.

Kerrin

Is that the "Under the Dome" one? Now I'm sure I'm wrong, and I am a King fan ('IT' is my fave) but I couldn't help thinking "Jeez, I wonder if he saw the Simpson's movie and thought 'now there's an idea with legs'".

And, I got Transmetropolitan vol2 for £2.20 on eBay, free postage.  ;D <Does smug smartypants dance>