Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Stacey

Chronicles of Narnia are arsom. Yeah they wear their intentions on their sleeve, but great childrens books.

I'm reading TPO. Finally got a copy. Looks like Mongoose are selling loads of 2000ad graphs on ebay cheap for some reason. It's a cracking read and makes you appreciate the fact the comic got past prog 50 let alone 500 and 1500

Tiplodocus

THE BROKEN WINDOW by JEFFREY DEAVER.

It's a Linoln Rhyme novel, apparently.  I haven't read one before but the main hero is a criminologist quadraplegic with a tough feisty girlfriend cop who used to be a super model.  No really.  It wrings a bell actually, I think I saw the uniformely excellent Denzel Washington play a similar character in a film whose name escapes me.

I am kind of dreading reading it because of the fantastical characters but it's alredy made some valid points about the drip feed of personal information into the public domain (though these seem to be quoted from elsewhere at times).

I'll bet a lot of us have posted enough on this forum for a determined person to work out names, domestic status and partial adresses.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 19 March, 2010, 01:32:11 PM
I'll bet a lot of us have posted enough on this forum for a determined person to work out names, domestic status and partial adresses.

And in some cases, genital peculiarities.

Kerrin

I can make mine look like the batmobile.

Just started "Terminal World" by Alastair Reynolds, and just finished "The Goon" vol 9 from Eric Powell, which was, as usual, awesome.

Zarjazzer

"Titanicus" by D.Abnett and  "Star Wars omnibus Emissaries and assassins" TPB. not too bad.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

blakaam kaplow

Fahrenheit 451 and Bury my Knee at Wounded Heart, can't recommend the former but the latter, I'm half way through and it's the best history book I've read bar none.
?

blakaam kaplow

Bugger; Bury my Heart at wounded Knee
?

Mike Gloady

HA!  Dredd gets to you, eh?
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Roger Godpleton

Acme Novelty Library.

Brilliant, but every so often it does kind of get to the point where you want to go down to Dixons and buy a whole bunch of shit before heading to Burger King to stuff your face just because you think it would annoy Chris Ware.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: Mikey on 19 March, 2010, 09:50:04 AM
I picked up Ark by Stephen Baxter last night and realised it seem sto be a continuation or sequel to 'Flood'. Has anyone read Flood and should I read it before I get into Ark?

Absolutely. I read 'em back to back in the new year & they're two of Baxter's finest.

Be warned: [spoiler]Flood is relentlessly bleak. Ark is just brutal.[/spoiler]
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

TordelBack

Quote from: O Lucky Stevie! on 20 March, 2010, 02:02:02 AM
Absolutely. I read 'em back to back in the new year & they're two of Baxter's finest.

That's good to hear - I used to read everything he put out (his NASA books remain some of my favourite SF), but his previous three series (Time's Tapestry, Destiny's Children and Manifold) did increasingly little for me to the point that I stopped reading.  Last one I really enjoyed was the utterly bleak Evolution, a corker.  Shall pick up Flood for my proposed camping holiday some months hence.

Mikey

Cheers Stevie - the fanboy in me proably couldn't have hacked reading a second book first! Although in P6 I read Dinosaur Planet II and never read the first.

I thought the first two Manifold books were great, but wasn't so fussed on the third right enough. And Evolution was a good 'un - have you read the Mammoth books? I loved them!

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

TordelBack

Quote from: Mikey on 20 March, 2010, 11:07:54 AM
Although in P6 I read Dinosaur Planet II and never read the first.

Dear god!  The only good thing you can say about the ludicrous Dinosaur Planet is that it isn't as bad as Dinosaur Planet II.  It's hard to imagine how anyone could make books about a dinsoaur planet so utterly crap, not to mention wasting a perfectly arsom title.  I've been partial to a bit of McCaffrey in my time, but those books... shudder

House of Usher

I've been reading the hardcover graphic novel of Black Hole by Charles Burns. It's depressing stuff, and I'm glad I've finished it. It's a pity the gripping mystery that unravels at the end doesn't build over the course of the story. Things happen earlier on and you just think "huh; that's weird." You don't actually see that they were part of a mystery until the solution appears.

Critics have said the story is supposed to evoke the atmosphere of a '70s teen horror movie, but to me it just seemed melancholy and surreal, with far more pathos than horror.
STRIKE !!!

mygrimmbrother

'Bout a hundred pages in to The Mist, which a student kindly let me borrow. BIG fan of the film, and although the novella is quite enjoyable, I must admit that the movie trimmed a lot of flab. First Stepehn King I've ever read, and I dunno, seems a bit... excruciating at times. Not doubting he's a fabulous ideas man, but I suppose I'm just one from the minimal, get-to-the-point Bukowski/Hemingway/McCarthy school.