Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Albion

Thrill-Power Overload as I have finally got a copy. Hurrah!
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Goatilocks

Received in the last couple of days:

Nemesis Book 2
Marvel Essential - Tales of the Zombie Vol. 1
DC Showcase - Strange Adventures Vol. 1

Waiting for JD # 9.

TordelBack

Quote from: O Lucky Stevie! on 20 March, 2010, 02:02:02 AM
Quote from: Mikey on 19 March, 2010, 09:50:04 AM
I picked up Ark by Stephen Baxter last night and realised it seem sto be a continuation or sequel to 'Flood'. Has anyone read Flood and should I read it before I get into Ark?

Absolutely. I read 'em back to back in the new year & they're two of Baxter's finest.

Just started into Flood on Stevie's recommendation - it is indeed very good, even if all the characters will talk like they're characters in a Stephen Baxter novel.  I was completely gripped from the scene where [spoiler]the waves start to surge across the carpark of the Millennium Dome as it's being evacuated...  [/spoiler] Very John Christopher, and very scary.

Robin Low

Currently struggling with Bill Hussey's Through a Glass, Darkly. A friend of mine once told me that he threw The Da Vinci Code across the room in disgust, and I nearly did the same with this on the bus today. I'm not sure whether I'm more annoyed by the amateurish writing and frequently lousy dialogue, or the staggering number of glowing and enthusiastic reviews on the net.

Regards

Robin

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Goatilocks on 30 March, 2010, 02:05:50 PM
Marvel Essential - Tales of the Zombie Vol. 1

Uh never got around to this one. It looks bloody lovely let us know how you get on with it.

I, Cosh

Quote from: TordelBack on 03 January, 2010, 01:19:25 PM
Reading Dozois' Best New SF 22 (that's No. 26 to US readers), and am happy to report that so far it is a vintage year.   There's an Alastair Reynolds short in there with ideas that could happily power a half-dozen novels.
Despite not being blown away by Revelation Space, I got Reynolds' short story collection Galactic North from the library and I'm glad I did. I'm enjoying his stuff a lot more in concentrated form than I did at novel length. It's also interesting to see him fleshing out some of the stuff that I had to just accept without explanation in the novel. Good show.

The library are also doing a good job serving up trades of Ex Machina. I'm up to volume 6 now and still finding it quite enjoyable even though it seems that getting a job in the mayor's office is a doddle.
We never really die.

Kerrin

Just finished Alastair Reynolds "Terminal World". It's a damn good read and a pleasant change for being a more personal, character driven piece to his previous novels. You're spot on about his short fiction prowess Cosh, "Zima Blue and Other Stories" is particularly good value now they've finally reprinted it. "Diamond Dogs and Turqoise Days" is also fantastic.

TordelBack

The thing about Revelation Space as a novel is that the Demarchist universe draws a lot on the shorts that precede it (Great Wall of Mars in particular).  Add to that a bunch of pretty unlikable characters and I think it can be quite a hard sell as the first novel in a series.  

On a similar note I just saw a newly published Baxter Xeelee omnibus that only has the novels, not the shorts.    Not to say all the contents aren't brilliant (they are), but the shorts do a lot to give them context.

I love a big novel, even a big smelly series, but SF's optimum form is the short story.

Zarjazzer

just finished "Emperors Mercy" by Henry ZHou.The most entertaining book I have read in ages -just what i like military sci-fi (WH40k) with twists,betrayals and a blasting a plenty.

On to "Doomtroopers" mostly bought as I liked the cover. Still establishing the chracters though given the breathless speed of the book I just finished it seems a bit slow. Still early days yet.

After that I have one of Neil Ashers "Polity" books to read "Prador moon". I like my a blastng- the- xenos sci- fi I do. Not tried any of these Asher books before so looking forward to it.

Blimey this post is almost a novel in itself. :D

oops just realised it's called "Deathtroopers" not doom troopers that can be my novel... :P
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Mardroid

Had a birthday relatively recently (well last month) so I splurged on a 2000AD GN: Judge Dredd: Origins.

I'd just started buying the Prog while that was ending, so I figured it would be worthwhile to grab the rest in collection form.

I largely liked it. The historical stuff was interesting enough, and the present day stuff, while seemingly quite a basic story had a lot more complex things to say. Particularly interesting in light of the stories it spawned.

And the two headed mutant character(s) from the first story were great comedy.

I just recently (literally today) finished Captain Britain: A Hero Reborn volume 2.

I found the collection in the library recently and borrowed it mainly out of curiosity as I've read a lot of good things about Captain Britain.  This stuff was terribly corny though, although not unamusing.  I realise it wasn't really aimed at me though, this being back in the days these comics were aimed at kids. I think I might well have liked it back then too, and it was entertaining enough even now, albeit for the wrong reasons. (Sorry comes across very snobbish.)

I'm curious to see how the Alan Moore take compares with this. The basic premise of the character and his abilities, powers, etc, is interesting enough.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Mardroid on 05 April, 2010, 01:39:03 PM
I'm curious to see how the Alan Moore take compares with this. The basic premise of the character and his abilities, powers, etc, is interesting enough.

Its a mile above and beyond the early stuff its great as is the stuff by Delano and later Davis after it.

The Black Knight stuff is different again and while not as good still very entertaining.

Mardroid

Cheers for the feedback Colin, I'll keep my eye out for them.

mogzilla

finally giving halo jones a go.

IAMTHESYSTEM

McMafia by Misha Glenny. Suffice to say some of the Balkan wars were more to do with expanding various drug empires than nationalism. Europe is wide open to these wide boys and there Kalashnikovs and their friends from Columbia are even allowed to pop over and machine gun people they believe [rightly] were cheating them.

Globalization eh, ain't it wonderful?
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Roger Godpleton

He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!