Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nev

Reading A Clockwork Orange. Horrorshow novel.

Roger Godpleton

My take on Killing Joke is that we're not supposed to take the origin sub-plot as canon in the strictest sense. It "could" be the true story, but it's anyone's guess as to whether it is or not. The fact it's in B&W shows how ultimately futile and irrelevant such guesswork is when he's crippling Barbara in colour.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Paul faplad Finch

A long bus journey means that I've finally finished the paperback I've had on the go for weeks, Descent of Angels (part of the Horus Heresy) and gotten well stuck into my next, Bare Bones by Kathy Reichs. 

After that it will be books 4 and 5 of the Felix Castor books and then more Horus, with the return of Dan Abnett to writing duties. All told I'm quietly confident I've got some really good stuff ahead of me.

No surprises though, since they're all parts of ongoing series but Castor 5 I'm all caught up with that series so I have to pick out what to put in the fantasy/horror slot of my ocd rigid rotation.

So it's between Memory Sorrow And Thorn by Tad Williams, a couple of Clive Barker books (Weaveworld and something else the name of which escapes me) or a little series about a guy called Brak the Barbarian, which I think is just the 3 books I have, and seems to be some sort of Conan style thing.

Any suggestions which I should go for first? They are all completely new to me, yes, even Clive Barker.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

Radbacker

Weave Worlds a good Barker book to start with.  Modern fantasy story with magic and demons and all that jaz.

I was trying to explain to my non comic reading friend why i was laughing so hard at that last episode of South Park twas a good thing and I picked up what was going on really fast which is unusual for me.

Mt current toilet book is The MArs Mystery - A tale of the end of two worlds.  Its one of those non-fiction books where they grab a whole heap of scientific data and speculate about stuff, in this case trying to prove two geat civilizations existed at the same time on MArs and Earth between 10000 - 60000 years ago both wiped out by the same catastrophy.

CU Radbacker

Zarjazzer

Thousand Sons of the Hous Heresy series. 120 pages in little has happened. Damn knew I should have tried a Pax Britannia books instead.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

strontium_dog_90

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 23 April, 2010, 11:17:58 PM
My take on Killing Joke is that we're not supposed to take the origin sub-plot as canon in the strictest sense. It "could" be the true story, but it's anyone's guess as to whether it is or not. The fact it's in B&W shows how ultimately futile and irrelevant such guesswork is when he's crippling Barbara in colour.

True. But there was a Shadow of the Bat two-parter that flashed back to the same backstory as The Killing Joke, so I'd always thought it was an accepted part of the continuity.

Christov

Been blazing through the hardback of Morrison's Batman & Robin.

Fackin' lahhhhvely.

mogzilla

Mardroid

I've finally got hold of A Storm of Swords 2: Blood and Gold. Trouble is, it's been a while since I read the last book so I've forgotten some of what's happened before, although the general gist is easy enough to pick up.

Good read though.

Major spoilers! Don't highlight unless you've read the book. [spoiler]What a shocker though! I expected treachery at the Frey castle (things seemed to be going too well) but I didn't expect that to happen. I've read George R R Martin is renowned for killing of main characters but it's still quite a shock when it happened to characters that main. I say characters, Robb has taken rather a back seat after the first book, taking part in major events behind the scenes but with no POV, so I suppose its not that surprising he'd die in hindsight. The other character though...?

I'm just hoping that what happened to Arya was a bit of misdirection. (Don't tell  me, I'm only about a quarter through so far.)[/spoiler]

Daveycandlish

The new Modesty Blaise collection. Brilliant stuff!
Isn't it about time they made a decent film version of this?
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

House of Usher

I've just added to my reading pile 'The Audit Society ~ Rituals of Verification' by Michael Powers.

I've really had quite enough of audit and its rituals of verification in my past 3 jobs and my present one (which even involves devising them), so I thought I'd cheer myself up by reading an academic critique of the phenomena.
STRIKE !!!

HdE

Just finished reading volume 1 of 'Chew' by John Layman and Rob Guillory.

Best comic book I've read all year. Bloody brilliant stuff! It's highly original, side-splittingly funny and ... god dammit! I think I'm gonna read it again soon!

Y'all OWE it to yourselves to check it out. Go on - Google it!
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

COMMANDO FORCES

My comic shop man keeps pushing that GN to me. I think I know the whole tale by now.
Apparently it was one of the top sellers of the last quarter and the first comic sells for about £100 at the moment.

HdE

YIKES!

'Tis a quality read, big time. I got the trade for about eight quid. Pee'd myself laughing all the way through!
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

HOO-HAA

Just received DOMAIN by James Herbert, which I will read alongside the SD case files (4).

An excellent combo, I hope!  :D