Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dweezil2

Punishermax is absolutely on fire at the moment.
I didn't think anyone could top Garth Ennis on his run, but this comes pretty darn close.
The 'Bullseye' story running at the moment is all kinds of arsom, with a side order of more arsom!
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Ignatzmonster

Quote from: dweezil2 on 24 May, 2010, 11:13:44 AM
Punishermax is absolutely on fire at the moment.
I didn't think anyone could top Garth Ennis on his run, but this comes pretty darn close.
The 'Bullseye' story running at the moment is all kinds of arsom, with a side order of more arsom!

Oh good I'm a fan of Aaron's Scalped but not his Weapon X work. i'm glad to hear he's a good fit for Punisher.

strontium_dog_90

Anybody else picked up a copy of Stephen King's new novella "Blockade Billy" yet? It's a really great read, quite stripped down for his style, and has a creepy little short story thrown in as a bonus. It's highly recommended for fans :-)

Darren Stephens

Just started on Hellbazer : Pandemonium. Seems great so far. Jocks the man as far as I'm concerned.  :D
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Richmond Clements

Quote from: strontium_dog_90 on 30 May, 2010, 06:07:28 PM
Anybody else picked up a copy of Stephen King's new novella "Blockade Billy" yet? It's a really great read, quite stripped down for his style, and has a creepy little short story thrown in as a bonus. It's highly recommended for fans :-)
Didn't know this existed- but I shall track it down.

HOO-HAA

My main criticism of King has always been his verbose style; I love his characterisation, his storytelling and his style of writing, I just think he often overdoes it in terms of word count. For me, his best writing has been his more economic writing; Cell, Carrie etc. 

Roger Godpleton

Finished Atwood's "The Year of the Flood" today. It's a sort of sequel to "Oryx and Crake" if you're interested.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Paul faplad Finch

Finishing off Bare Bones by Kathy Reichs.

Then it will be Legion by Mr Abnett. I'm finding the Horus Hersy books a curious read because individually they can seem qite slight reads but the series as a whole is a quite involved Universe building exercise that manages to surpass it's big men with guns game tie-in roots and become something rather special. At first I resented the fact that the books seemed to back track and go over a lot of the same ground several times but I've realised that there is always something new in each interpretation. The series isn't designed to be a linear narrative so much as a series of snapshots. It's really grown on me. Not bad for a series that was shoved on me by a pushy mate and I never would have touched were it not for Dan Abnetts name on Book 1.

I was gonna delve into Weaveworld by Clive Barker after that, my first taste of Barker, but I've had the Joe Pitt books by Charlie Huston  brought to my attention so if the first one of them arrives at the library Mr Barker will be put on hold again. I do like an ongoing series over a standalone.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

puggdogg

Last night I finished reading 'Cursed Earth Asylum' by David Bishop. Now
i don't know what to read next. Maybe 'Nation' by Terry Pratchett.

Robin Low

The Fabric of Sin by Phil Rickman
A Very Short Introduction to Logic (one of the huge and excellent V. Short Intro range)
Glorantha: The Second Age (a roleplaying book, all setting, no rules as such)

Regards

Robin

Richmond Clements

QuoteI was gonna delve into Weaveworld by Clive Barker after that

This one jockeys for the postion of Best Book Ever with Iain M Banks's Use Of Weapons.

strontium_dog_90

Quote from: HOO-HAA on 30 May, 2010, 09:41:18 PM

My main criticism of King has always been his verbose style; I love his characterisation, his storytelling and his style of writing, I just think he often overdoes it in terms of word count. For me, his best writing has been his more economic writing; Cell, Carrie etc. 

Yeah, this one is more in line with those, and close to the "Different Seasons" set of novellas - very conversational style of writing. It's made me quite excited for the next King release, which (I think) is going to be another set of novellas. After "Lisey's Story," which I've never been able to read, it's great to be getting excited about his work again :-)

Stuzzle

I, perusing through my local Waterstones today, am a bit late on the discovery train I realise, but I have now found Garth Eniss' "The Boys" Volume 1 'Name Of The Game'  :D
I don't draw so good and I don't know the artists off by heart. I eat more than I probably should and don't yet know the stories from the start. I like films and can't speak Spanish, but DAMMIT I can Twitter

Bolt-01

This weekend I read issues 12 & 13 od Sgt Mike Battle- And loved 'em. Graham really does this so well. I've got 14 & 15 ready and waiting a little further down in the pile, so I'm looking forward to those immensely.

About to read Lady S from Cinebooks.

Richmond Clements

How Not to Grow Up by Richard Herring.
Very good so far. As expected it is funny and more than a little purile in places, but ti is also astonishingly moving and bravely honest.