Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Stephens

Got Hellboy : The Wild Hunt and The Boys : Herogasm for Fathers day. Just started on the HB one....Duncan Fegredos work on that is exceptional. :D
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

M.I.

Mario Puzo - The Sicilian
Terry Pratchett - The Wee Free Men
Haruki Murakami - Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World - yes, this is mainstream, but I want to know what awaits me in the end )

HOO-HAA

Just started Cujo by Stephen King. If you've read his book, On Writing, you'll know that Cujo was written during the worst of his alcoholism meaning he can't remember actually writing very much of it. That said, I'm actually really enjoying it so far. Quite different style of writing to the last book of his that I read; Duma Key. 

House of Usher

I'm reading The Weight of Numbers by Simon Ings. I didn't know quite what to expect. It was lent to me by a work colleague who knows the author.

It's a very well written historical novel of the 20th Century, of unlikely small-world coincidences and degrees of separation. It's impressively well researched, convincingly authentic and difficult to put down. The tone, trajectory and descriptive detail remind me of reading Iain Banks.

The plot: the prologue is a mess of fragments of the various characters' lives, then a girl called Kathleen, who has a natural mathematical aptitude, wanders around London during the Blitz and dreams of using her talents to help the war effort. College drop-out Saul Cogan flirts with the 1960s counter-culture after winding up at a squat in the aftermath of an Anti-Vietnam rally. Anthony Burden, former student of Alan Turing, struggles with his sexuality in war-torn London and marries a Jewish girl before resorting to eletro-shock therapy to make him 'normal' - that's the first 200 pages.

From the reviews on Amazon I'm expecting a great big let-down of an ending, but I don't know how much Amazon customer reviews can be relied upon. I don't care if the ending is good or not, it's just nice to have something to read that is skilfully written.
STRIKE !!!

mogzilla

faker by mike carey and art by some fella called jock entertaining stuff but [spoiler]couldnt help wonder what happened to the "poor "prof the girl blackmailed[/spoiler]  ;)

pay day and grandville later this week!

willthemightyW

waiting for Alan Moore's future shocks to arrive, bought and re-reading strontium dog: The Final solution. Hoping to get some more hellboy.
They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.

Roger Godpleton

A third of the way through Bodyworld. You need to read this too.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

puggdogg

Last night I just finished reading V for Vendetta which I had owned for a couple years but was too lazy to pick it up and read until now.

Then I started the complete D.R. and Quinch.

Kerrin

Just ordered "The Fuller Memorandum" by Charles Stross, the third of his "Laundry" books, having recently reread the second. More adventures of Bob the techy secret agent and his dealings with the denizens of the vasty deeps.

Emperor

Quote from: Kerrin on 26 June, 2010, 08:13:16 AM
Just ordered "The Fuller Memorandum" by Charles Stross, the third of his "Laundry" books, having recently reread the second. More adventures of Bob the techy secret agent and his dealings with the denizens of the vasty deeps.

Oooooooo it is out? I thought it wasn't being released until next month (or did you pre-order it?). Exciting!!
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Kerrin

Yep, it's in stock at Amazon, click the link in my previous post. Ordered "The Boys" vol 6 and "Betelgeuse" vol 3 as well.

Strontium Jimmy

The First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. I'm halfway through the second book Before they are Hanged. A enjoyable romp.

Zarjazzer

Joe Abercrombie's ace!

I'm reading Hammers Slammers a military sci- fi,(oh what a surprise! :)) book written by a Vietnam vet (and it shows) -brutalising and chilling.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

House of Usher

I finished reading The Weight of Numbers by Simon Ings. The negative reviewers on Amazon are just carping. It does tie up and it does have a proper ending. It's quite a bold move to make a human trafficker the hero of your novel. I think the readers who didn't like it were expecting something more than just a novel, so no wonder they were disappointed.
STRIKE !!!

HOO-HAA

Still hammering my way through CUJO by Stephen King and thoroughly enjoying it. If this is the kind of writing that alcoholism breeds, I need to get myself a drink :)