Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daveycandlish

Just got Rainbow Orchid volume 2 by Garen Ewing in the post this morning
Loved this when it was in BAM! all those years ago and can't wait to start on this!

An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Paul faplad Finch

Today I returned to the library a lovely coffee table book by Alan Barnes and someone else whose name escapes me at the moment that's all about Hammer films through the years.

I'll confess that I got it primarily to look at the pictures, because there is a wealth of stuff in there, from reproductions of posters, portraits of the various bits of totty  and all sorts of behind the scenes shots of cast and crew. I got sucked in by the ext though, which I expected to be not much more than glorified captions but was anything but. There is a 2/3 page article on every genre film they produced, and overviews of their other titles, like the war movies and their forays into adapting sitcoms for the big screen.

It's a few years old now I think so anyone on here with any interest has probably seen it but if not it's well worth a look. It's certainly got me on the lookout for some of the titles it talks about. I hadn't realised how prolific they actually were.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

Roger Godpleton

Finished "The Grass is Singing" by Doris Lessing and it's probably the most overwhelming book I've ever read.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Richmond Clements

Super Human by some guy Carroll...

vzzbux

The missus is hammering her way through the Twilight saga at the moment.
I on the other hand am going to go through my Titan Nemesis Book 2 followed by Judge Death.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

flip-r mk2

Flu by our very own HooHaa.

filip
It's all right, that's in every contract.
That's what they call a sanity clause.
You can't fool me, there ain't no sanity clause.

http://flip-r.deviantart.com/

http://forflipssake.blogspot.com

http://weeklythemedartblog.blogspot.com/

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana

Emp

Just finished "The Whispers" (a Charlie Parker novel) by John Connelly. A good book made better if you've read all the ones before.

HOO-HAA

Quote from: Paul faplad Finch on 07 July, 2010, 11:07:47 PM
Today I returned to the library a lovely coffee table book by Alan Barnes and someone else whose name escapes me at the moment that's all about Hammer films through the years.

I think I saw that on sale at Forbidden Planet - it was too pricey to pick up, but looked delicious. There was another one beside it called something like 'The Women of Hammer' which also... er... looked rather tasty.

Quote from: flip-r mk2 on 08 July, 2010, 11:07:25 PM
Flu by our very own HooHaa.

flip! Thanks so much for taking a chance on flu! I really hope you enjoy it, sir.

I'm currently working on the edits for my next release through Snowbooks, Drop Dead Gorgeous. Due out January 2011. Bang on time for Hi-Ex! :)

Devons Daddy

Medium Rare, by Anthony Bouridan.

his follow up to kitchen confidential, this is mid life crisis version, of acknowledgement to world of change in culinary terms.

great read. but am in the same place as the author, no longer a chef, and acknowledge that at this stage its a good thing.incredible details and descriptoins that truly encapsulate the meals he has eaten. how we see the industry as insiders now on the outside.

not sure how this will play to the rest of the world, but the hospitality mid lifers will enjloy this as much as his Kit/Con. the rest of the world, i think you will be intrigued and enjoy.
on amazon and Ibooks as a great download,not sure of the hard back or soft back at USD $13 its a steal.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

flip-r mk2

Quote from: HOO-HAA on 09 July, 2010, 09:42:09 PM

flip! Thanks so much for taking a chance on flu! I really hope you enjoy it, sir.

I'm currently working on the edits for my next release through Snowbooks, Drop Dead Gorgeous. Due out January 2011. Bang on time for Hi-Ex! :)
120 pages in and really enjoying the Flu(never thought I'd ever say that)glad you didn't go with running zombies(hope they don't start speeding up later).Hope to make to Hi-Ex and maybe 2D next year if everything goes to plan, then I can get you to sign my copies of Flu and Drop Dead Gorgeous when it released.

filip
It's all right, that's in every contract.
That's what they call a sanity clause.
You can't fool me, there ain't no sanity clause.

http://flip-r.deviantart.com/

http://forflipssake.blogspot.com

http://weeklythemedartblog.blogspot.com/

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana

Zarjazzer

Gave up on Hammers Slammers i just couldn't get into it though the initial stories were good but it was so light on any sort of plot/interesting characters that in the end I didn't give a damn if the protagonists and their hover tanks got blown away or not.

Back to star wars with the Shadows of Minbar-okay but a bit odd as Luke is still new to the force yet can juggle/control an already  flying ship which just smacks too much of that Force Unleashed drivel that I shall say no more!

Also read some comics -AFter Dark written by Wesley Snipes of all people-quite good and more Star Wars TPB of Empire-good but with some wobbly art here and there.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

HOO-HAA

Finished Stephen King's Cujo. A heart-breaking, powerful read centred around a rabid dog. For me, this is King at his best - simple, character-driven horror that leaves you moved at the finale. Wonderful stuff.

Going to move onto David Moody's Dog blood now.   

TordelBack

Read the first Young Liars trade, which finally showed up in my local library.  Oh dear.  I don't think I get Lapham at all.  More distasteful disjointed over-narrated nonsense, and seems solely to exist to set up a few ker-ay-zee splash pages.  How it's like "a really good rock-and-roll song", as the endorsements claim, I have no idea - limited range, repetitive beat and makes no sense, maybe?  It's all very nicely drawn, I admit, but basically I want that hour of my life back.  There's a reason songs are only a few minutes long.

willthemightyW

Requiem Vampire Knight vol.1 by Pat Mills and someonefrenchwhosfirstnameIcan'tremember Ledroit. It arrived today, and so far it's very good.
They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.

puggdogg

Last night I finished reading the final TPB of the Goon. I read through all ten volumes. Now I'm having withdrawals. Damn Eric Powell has created a masterpiece series. I think tonight I'll start on Dredd Case Files Vol 04.