Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

Quote from: Smith on 04 March, 2017, 12:37:27 PM
Odd coincidence is that Im following Forever war now.
But yeah,the third book is the best one IMO.On the Halo herself,she is kinda bland.She just kinda goes with the flow and is tossed around by the story.She doesn't really exhibit an influence on her own life/story.

I dunno. When she[spoiler] gave her boyfriend that final cuddle at the end of Book 3, I think she did something very decisive for the future of herself and the war in general.  She kind of goes with the flow to start with, then puts her foot down and says "no more"! Actually she does that in book 1 too by leaving the loop.[/spoiler]

Smith

I guess you could make that point...
I recently read The Bojeffries saga.That was hilarious. :)

Theblazeuk

Quote from: Booster Gold on 28 February, 2017, 08:37:50 PM
Just read through the first 3 issues of Black Hammer, and I've got IDW's Judge Dredd: Mega-City Zero at the top of my stack. Living in Canada I'm pretty much limited to whatever Diamond decides is worth shipping. I have, however, been diving deep into older books. Titles as recent as Grant Morrison's Batman saga, all the way back to old Whiz Comics and Captain Marvel (Shazam) stories.

Canada has less access to comic books than the UK? It's always hit and miss getting comics from my local but if you ask in advance, you eventually receive...

JLC

Slaine: Time Killer. Not enjoying it to be honest.

TordelBack

Quote from: JLC on 06 March, 2017, 12:51:31 PM

Tell me you at least enjoyed Dragonheist, the Maestro's greatest ever work. How my heart broke when Brainbiter did! And Tomb of Terror is a lot more fun if you actually play the (awful) game at the same time. But yeah, the body of the book is an acquired taste.

Hawkmumbler

Slaine is arguably the most marmite of all the 2000AD staples. Some love it, some loath it, some enjoy it well enough but it's not their prefered spreadable thrill.

JLC

Quote from: TordelBack on 06 March, 2017, 01:35:15 PM

Tell me you at least enjoyed Dragonheist, the Maestro's greatest ever work. How my heart broke when Brainbiter did! And Tomb of Terror is a lot more fun if you actually play the (awful) game at the same time. But yeah, the body of the book is an acquired taste.
Yes, Dragonheist is good but the rest, yuk! Aliens, 'Leyser' guns etc? I remember enjoying it as a kid but not so much now, partly the inconsistent artwork.

Tony Angelino

The Wrong Side of Goodbye by Michael Connelly. Most of his books are worth a read.

Smith

I finished Mean Team.That was weird.It starts like a blood-sport then switches to a dark fairy tale.Then everyone dies.

TordelBack

Quote from: Smith on 08 March, 2017, 06:05:17 AM
I finished Mean Team.That was weird.It starts like a blood-sport then switches to a dark fairy tale.Then everyone dies.

It doesn't get much weirder than Mean Team, the Highlander 2 of sports stories.  Its second series may be my least favourite 2000AD strip, but I loved the first run. "Note: Poochie died on his way back to his home planet". 

Did you get as far as the very curious Survivor, aka Wow Massimo Draws Lovely Panthers, Doesn't He?

Smith

Yes,I did.And I admit that its a lovely panther,but once again-its weird.And it does leave an option for a sequel. :)

Smith

Something I forgot to mention;2000ad presents Sci-Fi thrillers.It was a mixed bad.Colony Earth,Visible Man,Future Shocks and SuperBean were pretty good.Maze,Family and Universal Soldier were mediocre.Tribal memories and Xtnct sucked.
Homer the Barbarian was probably my favorite story here.

sheridan

Quote from: TordelBack on 08 March, 2017, 06:35:59 AM

It doesn't get much weirder than Mean Team, the Highlander 2 of sports stories.  Its second series may be my least favourite 2000AD strip, but I loved the first run. "Note: Poochie died on his way back to his home planet". 

Did you get as far as the very curious Survivor, aka Wow Massimo Draws Lovely Panthers, Doesn't He?

?  I thought Ron Smith drew Survivor?

TordelBack

Quote from: sheridan on 11 March, 2017, 11:59:54 AM
Quote from: TordelBack on 08 March, 2017, 06:35:59 AM

?  I thought Ron Smith drew Survivor?

He did indeed - had Bellardinelli on the brain when I wrote that. They both drew lovely panthers.

Smith

After seeing just how atrocius is the revived series is(#UpYoursMarvel),I realised just how awesome the original Thunderbolts were.From start to finish,thru multiple writers and retools,the title was consistently great.
Btw,during Jeff Parker/Kev Walker era there is a visit to a bad future strongly reminiscent of Judge Dredd. :)