Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smith

You are right,ofc.My mistake,thou I cant say how that mixup happened.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Smith on 22 March, 2017, 06:33:30 PM.
Was the 4th always obsessed with Jelly babies? :)

Very much so!  :lol:
@jamesfeistdraws

Colin YNWA

Absolutely love those early Doctor Who strips. From the Wagner, Mills Gibbons stuff, through to the Steve Moore and Steve Parkhouse strips all the way to the Morrison and Ridgway stuff its all really good stuff. About the first 5 or 6 of those Panini collections are just pure fried comics gold.

Smith

Iron Legion is probably the best story here.Im guessing a bit of City of the Damned made it to Mega City One.Beep the Meep is a great twist on "dont judge the book by its covers" moral.Time Witch is okay.Feels a lot like a Future Shock.Well,everything feels a bit 2000AD-ish.Which isnt all that surprising considering the creative team.

Rately

About to have another read of the Game Of Thrones series.

Thankfully on my kindle, so i don't have to throw my back out carrying the paperbacks about.

Theblazeuk

Struck by some nostalgia, I have read 6 David Gemmell novels in a week.

God I love those books. The writing gets a lot better by the time of Waylander 2 and Druss, and they are all very similar in tone and content, but Legend is practically perfect as a debut novel.

Bolt-01

Currently working through 'Finders Keepers' by the usually rivetting Stephen King.

This is the sequel to Mr Mercedes I'm just not 'getting' it. All the igredients are there, but for whatever reason it just hasn't grabbed me like Kings books usually do.

Theblazeuk

I found Mr Mercedes the high point of that series, but still thoroughly enjoyed Finders Keepers for it's Holden Caulfield Gone Wrong antagonist.

Bolt-01

ABOMINABLE GLORY by Martin Hayes and Chris Askham.

Commando vs the Yeti- in glorious B&W. Chris was pimping it at the time of release but I've only just managed to read the copy I bought. A fantastic slice of boys own adventure and I'm chuffed to bits to see more creators start to claw their way up into print!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 30 March, 2017, 12:41:08 PM
ABOMINABLE GLORY by Martin Hayes and Chris Askham.

Commando vs the Yeti- in glorious B&W. Chris was pimping it at the time of release but I've only just managed to read the copy I bought. A fantastic slice of boys own adventure and I'm chuffed to bits to see more creators start to claw their way up into print!

Yeah its great fun isn't it.

Apestrife

James Ellroy's Perfidia

Brilliant insane cop procedure. Bunch of copers sees opportunity in Japanese americans are getting detained in Los Angeles, days after Pearl Harbour. Among others Ltd Dudley Liam Smith (Benzodiazepine fueled opium demon, diabolical schemer, former Irish assassin, sleeping with Bette Davis) is planing on housing rich japanese people in tunnels and make them record smut films.

My only grip is one passage where a character delivers a Ayn Rand length speech on how/why he killed some people. The rest of it is mad and brilliant.

Wish there where an Ellroy type of Dredd story.

Colin YNWA

So 15 issues into Y the Last Man and by God I'm enjoying, its really a gripping read.

HOWEVER

And its a big however, its so like the Walking Dead in that its an absolute exercise in suspending your belief for the sake of engaging with and enjoying the story and characters. Just 15 issues in the things that make me go 'Huh what the fuck' include...

1. Why hasn't someone collected samples of Yoricks sperm to distribute to safe places to test his fertility and assuming that okay start and in semination programme to see if more males can be produced. Cos it would seem sending him on a wild goose chase after a cloning expert, whose success I'm thinking is yet unknown is a much better idea... when you don't even know if he's fertile.

2. Given Yorick insists on his adventure why send him - with one fuckin' person.

3. And on bloody foot when you know there are miltiary helicopter available

4. Why weren't the major roads cleared as a priority to enable communication and contact between major cities.

5. Given that its established that major roads are a problem why didn't they leave on motor bikes OR have resource to expliot the established government rail network?

6. Are the amazons and Heroes story really working and convincing?

7. Why if you don't trust other American's do you feel that going to the special forces of a nation well known for doing extreme and terrible things in its own self interest is that your second choice?

I could go on I really could. I know each of these 'decisions' have been made as a 60 issue series about a man being kept in a secret safe place jacking off for a couple of years and the adventures of insemination isn't too appealing but chist its a stretch.

Phew getting those out my system has really helps. I'll now return to burying my head in the sand so I can enjoy this absolutely compelling read.

Smith

Im making my way thru Abe Sapiens series...and its pretty boring.Just hanging around with a group of survivors and scavenging for supplies.Its like a low key Walking Dead.

TordelBack

Quote from: Smith on 02 April, 2017, 12:03:29 PM
Im making my way thru Abe Sapiens series...and its pretty boring.Just hanging around with a group of survivors and scavenging for supplies.Its like a low key Walking Dead.

Interminable stuff, I agree. I gave up after the Sacred Places Collection  (Vol 5?). In fact, I've generally been disappointed with the BPRD spinoff stuff I've read. I found 1946-1948 repetitive and disjointed.

Smith

I thought '46-'48 was okay.But I found the whole Hell on Earth cycle boring so far.