Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smith

Also,I was meaning to ask;anyone here reading IDW's TMNT?Cuz,you should be.

Michael Knight

Dark Horse Comics 'Baltimore'. Absolutely love this series by Mike Mignola. Fans of 'Fiends of the eastern front' will enjoy particularly if they pick it up from the start. Great stuff!

Pegasus P Artichoke

One of my friends in work has been loaning me the Bad Machinery collected volumes by John Allison

Never read any of his stuff before this and I have been really enjoying them

Very well written with great characters and some really funny lines of dialogue

We'll give them back their heroes

Rately

Quote from: Smith on 03 April, 2017, 05:48:25 PM
Also,I was meaning to ask;anyone here reading IDW's TMNT?Cuz,you should be.

Is this the John Lees written stuff? Been toying with getting it when collected, as i'm a huge fan of Quilte, ATEWG.

If they've an Iain Laurie variant cover, I'm in!

Smith

Not sure what you mean there...
For the most part its Kevin Eastman and Tom Waltz.And it really freaking great.

Rately

Quote from: Smith on 06 April, 2017, 10:13:36 AM
Not sure what you mean there...
For the most part its Kevin Eastman and Tom Waltz.And it really freaking great.

I'd read somewhere that John Lees was writing for IDW's TMNT, so thought that maybe you were reading his stuff.

Love the early TMNT, so may just wait and grab all the Eastman stuff digitally.

Smith

Hes writing some of the TMNT Universe issues...But ofc,you cant jump into that without reading the previous stuff.

Rately

Quote from: Smith on 06 April, 2017, 11:18:31 AM
Hes writing some of the TMNT Universe issues...But ofc,you cant jump into that without reading the previous stuff.

Cheers. I'll look into it, so fingers crossed we get another IDW Humble Bundle before long.

Smith

Get on that.Its freaking awesome.All the best elements of all the previous versions are in there.And there is plenty of new awesomness.Old Hob for example.
:)

Zarjazzer

"Aloha from Hell" a James Stark novel very good and a fun read but very much the tropes of devils angel on Earth (and then in Hell(s)) , I enjoyed it and hadn't read any of the previous books by Richard Kadrey before.

The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

positronic

Quote from: Paul faplad Finch on 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

And finally Robusters.  I was assured that the dreaded Mr. Mills was actually good back then. I was lied to. Tripe, and not even enjoyable tripe. I'll finish cos I started but I don't hold out much hope.  After that it's The VC'S  by Finley-Day. I'm sure he won't let me down.

So thats what I'm readin. What about you?

Have to disagree on Ro-Busters. Different tastes for different readers, I guess. Although in general the art in Vol. 1 (most of the Starlord numbers) isn't quite as good on average as later episodes from 2000 AD, I really enjoyed the old-school 'comical'-type comic book stories in these. I just took an instant liking to Ro-Jaws, with his 'Mockney' slang and 'faulty courtesy and obedience circuits'.

Then again I was reading the two Complete Nuts and Bolts hardcovers interspersed between the more recent A.B.C. Warriors hardcover collections Return to Earth and Return to Ro-Busters which I also loved (and was impressed by Clint Langley's artwork).

After that I read A.B.C. Warriors: The Mek-Files 02 hardcover (containing Khronicles of Khaos and Hellbringer), which was quite a grind for me to get through. Ah, the early 1990s era of excess and pointless over-the-top megaviolence... I don't miss it a bit. If it were only a part of a solid story with good characterization, I guess we could let slide, but here the plot is very thin indeed, with some jokey dialogue pasted in (it feels oddly non-sequitur though, unlike the earlier Ro-Busters). Kev Walker's artwork is colorful and nicely painted, but I didn't particularly care for his caricature style and his actual storytelling skills need improving, as what was going on in various panels wasn't always apparent at a glance, and the story didn't seem to flow in a way that led your eyeballs in a natural progression from panel to panel. Pat Mills sort of phoned these in, I would guess, as an indulgence to either the editor at the time or to Walker's tastes in what he preferred to illustrate (or maybe both). There's about 200 pages of artwork here for a couple of stories that could have been told in 50 or 60 pages.

About to start on Return to Mars...

Oh, and yesterday I was reading Please Tell Me! Galko-Chan Vol. 1, a fairly kooky slice-of-life high school manga.

@Paul faplad Finch -- So what did you think of The VCs? I have (what I think is) the first volume but haven't read it yet, so it may be sooner or later, depending on what you thought.

Whoops. I just realized that was 400+ pages ago. Sorry.

Smith

Metabarons.That was funting epic!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Smith on 11 April, 2017, 06:51:46 PM

That's good to hear it rapidly (well less so these days) chargin' up my to read list.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 11 April, 2017, 09:07:37 PM
Quote from: Smith on 11 April, 2017, 06:51:46 PM

That's good to hear it rapidly (well less so these days) chargin' up my to read list.

It really is fantastic. The only detraction is the way it's framed. It's a narrator claiming these stories are the greatest ever told. You don't get to write your own reviews.
You may quote me on that.

Smith

Granted,the robots can be annoying,but even the framing sequence has its payoff.