Main Menu

New 2000AD Covers Blog

Started by Pete Wells, 06 July, 2009, 06:33:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emperor

Quote from: Pete Wells on 26 August, 2009, 12:44:43 PM
Nice big Carl Critchlow flavoured update today folks!

Link: http://2000adcovers.blogspot.com/

Oh that is very nice - I love the sketches and being able to see the original of the fully-painted work. Exactly the kind of thing you'd wish for from such a blog and you are really delivering the goodies. ;)
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

mygrimmbrother

Pete, if I could hug you I would. Personally, I'm beginning to see Carl Critchlow as one of the modern great Dredd artists, up there with JOck, MacNeill, Flint and Kev Walker. Granite-y indeed, plus his palette is masterful. Favourite blog ever!  ;D

Mike Gloady

In total agreement with MGB on all points. 

Thanks for such a brilliant, informative and fun blog.  Have a gold star, Pete.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Kerrin

Just caught up with the blog Pete, the Critchlow pieces are awesome. I think you're right about the colouring on that Dredd cover, masterpiece.

Robin Low

Just thought I'd mention, CC didn't do Vendetta in Gotham. That was Cam Kennedy. CC did The Ultimate Riddle.

Regards

Robin

Mike Gloady

Robin beat me to that nugget.  All I'll say is that Vendetta in Gotham was the only Dredd/Batman tale missing from that collection DC/Rebellion put out a few years ago - which was daft as the last story "Die Laughing" actually referenced it.  A shame as Cam Kennedy's art is always amazing - a masterclass in clear, exciting storytelling.

"The Ultimate Riddle" was a complete embarrassment - awful.  Beautiful to look at though.  Presumably it was included because, like Judgement & Die Laughing, it was painted.  Silly and short-sighted in my view.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Pete Wells

Agh, I'm an idiot! Cheers for pointing that out guys!

Thanks for all the great comments from everyone else too!

Robin Low

Quote from: Mike Gloady on 31 August, 2009, 05:58:30 PM
Robin beat me to that nugget.  All I'll say is that Vendetta in Gotham was the only Dredd/Batman tale missing from that collection DC/Rebellion put out a few years ago - which was daft as the last story "Die Laughing" actually referenced it.  A shame as Cam Kennedy's art is always amazing - a masterclass in clear, exciting storytelling.

"The Ultimate Riddle" was a complete embarrassment - awful.  Beautiful to look at though.  Presumably it was included because, like Judgement & Die Laughing, it was painted.  Silly and short-sighted in my view.

Pretty much agree with both those points, although CC's painted art isn't really that good. Vendetta is probably the best of all the cross-overs in terms of art, story and getting the right feel of the characters interacting. Die Laughing has some moments - notably Dredd in hand-to-hand combat with Death - but by and large there's not much there.

To drag this back on topic, I don't mind CC's art, but I far prefer his Thrud from White Dwarf days. The move from curved line to jagged scratch is not a step forward in my book (see also Kevin Walker).

Regards

Robin

Pete Wells

Updated with Richard Elson's fabbo cover, roughs and inks - yay!!!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Robin Low on 31 August, 2009, 06:50:39 PM
The move from curved line to jagged scratch is not a step forward in my book (see also Kevin Walker).

I have no intention of going round the houses with you on this one again, Robin, but have you seen Kev's most recent work (Marvel Zombies 4, I believe) ...? I noticed that there was more shading and detail creeping into 'Mutie Block', and his latest stuff, although still recognisably Kev, is showing a much more detailed ink style:

Just curious ...

Cheers

Jim

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

Y'know aspects of that rather wonderful double page (the kid crying, the waves) actually look a bit like Kev O'Neill?   Bloody fantastic stuff.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: TordelBack on 05 September, 2009, 10:05:51 PM
Bloody fantastic stuff.

Our boy's wasted on this zombie nonsense ... get him back in the Prog, Green Bonce -- you know it makes sense!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Pete Wells

Blimey, I'd never have guessed that was Kev! It looks like we may get to see his work in the next Megazine too, according to the news bit front page of the site.

Pete Wells

I've just uploaded a whopping Simon Fraser Nikolai Dante post on there, featuring an uncensored version of Lulu's latest cover!

James Stacey

Awesome job Pete, but don't spuff your load too quick  ;D Tease the updates out.