Main Menu

Eagle Awards- voting proper...

Started by Dog Deever, 12 July, 2009, 01:35:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dog Deever

Anyone know when the voting proper for the Eagle awards?

Also, does anyone have some sort of list of the final nominations, or is that secret until voting starts?
(I missed the nominations bit...  :-[ )
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Emperor

Unless we have someone on the inside I doubt we'll know the answers to that until they start the voting. So keep watching the site:

www.eagleawards.co.uk

It has been saying voting starts "very soon" for quite a while now. :(
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Emperor

So as not to get Bolt's hopes up by bumping the nomination thread I'll post here. The question of what is happening have just popped up on the FP blog and only a week or so before I raised a similar point on Down The Tubes (which produced some interesting news about another British comics award). Hopefully, more people are getting on the case which might just kick things into gear, possibly. Timing might be crucial as I don't think you can bin the 2008 nominations or no one will bother nominating anything for the 2009 awards (as there is no guarantee there will be a 2009 round of voting) so you'd need to run the voting now (ish) and then use the momentum to roll straight into the next round of nominations and you could have both sets of awards at Bristol or hold the 2008 ones at a slightly earlier event (Hi-Ex?). All this means it really needs to get started up again as soon as possible.

Anyone heard any more on this?
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Mike Gloady

New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Emperor

Quote from: Mike Gloady on 30 December, 2009, 04:28:54 PMHow can I do my part?

That is the tricky bit, we don't really know what is required - it may be as simple as farming out categories to different people to count the votes (presumably you'd want 2 or 3 independent people to make sure the count is right and avoid accusations of cheating). I was avoiding emailing them to see what is needed as I didn't want to hassle them by adding to the pile of emails they must have, but that also assumes a lot of other people have. So I'll drop them a line with an offer of help and see what comes of it.

Emperor

OK I got a quick response - you can see a similar message posted to the FP blog (they've updated with the information) but the low level of nominations* and problems finding a venue resulted in 2008 being written off but 2009 award nominations should start in February so we can try again.

* If nominations were so poor that pretty much guarantees Al Ewing and Matt Timson a win in the best newcomer writer and artist (by my reckoning**) - someone will make you an award out of milk bottle tops and get it to you as soon as possible, we can call it the 2000AD Readers Awards or something equally fancy.

** We should clearly have nominated a few more people to at least make it a contest - that is where we messed up.

Emperor

Quote from: Emperor on 31 December, 2009, 02:29:08 AM2009 award nominations should start in February so we can try again.

I meant April 2010 but I'm sure a thread will spring up when the time comes.