Main Menu

3A Toys/Rebellion Press Release

Started by Robo-K33F, 16 November, 2009, 01:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SIP

Quote from: BPP on 14 March, 2017, 10:34:00 AM
Alpha, Ro-Jaws and Satanus are all pushed back for unfeasible costs / low sales estimates

Exactly. There is no profit in it. To make a profit they need to shift a minimum number of units. Clearly this is an extremely niche market and these are second string characters. If they could make a viable profit on them, they would produce them. If orders on the rehash Dredd's are looking low then it would raise alarm bells about throwing good money after bad.

The only thing that saves this situation is sales, not the comments of a few individuals on an Internet forum.

3A have had a lot of my money, I love to buy these things, but they need other people's as well and they clearly aren't getting it.

TheTooN

I dont think its just for love but if its a pet project of the owner and bank roller it will have a lot more leeway. He gets to make the toys he loves, if it makes money great but as long as its not losing too much and its fun then why not.

I hadnt given it much thought before today but BPP's comment made me look at it differently.

SIP

I really can't see the argument. If Ashley was making this due to his own love of the material, then I do not see why naysayers would change that. The people who are along with him for the ride are buying these products and keeping the dream alive. The problems start when the product isn't commercially viable. I think it's naive to believe someone mentioning mezco Dredd for example has any bearing on 3As bottom line or its decision making process.

TheTooN

From what I can gather its nothing to do with Mezco Dredd this time. I've looked for 3A threads on other boards to read whats been said recently but I'm useless with forum searches and gave up before I found anything.

BPP

Quote from: SIP on 14 March, 2017, 03:08:21 PM
Is the assertion here that 3A produces these figures at a loss? That they are in it for the love alone. I would question that, maybe the margins are lower but I would bet they would only pull the line if they either were not making a profit or whether they could be making a greater profit with another product.

ThreeA have stated quite openly that they operate several lines at a loss and cross subsidise from more popular lines (Transformers, Isobel Pasha). As 2000ad must rank alongside their least supported lines it is not unreasonable to suspect they make little to no money on it overall.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

SIP

Quote from: BPP on 14 March, 2017, 04:49:38 PM
Quote from: SIP on 14 March, 2017, 03:08:21 PM
Is the assertion here that 3A produces these figures at a loss? That they are in it for the love alone. I would question that, maybe the margins are lower but I would bet they would only pull the line if they either were not making a profit or whether they could be making a greater profit with another product.

ThreeA have stated quite openly that they operate several lines at a loss and cross subsidise from more popular lines (Transformers, Isobel Pasha). As 2000ad must rank alongside their least supported lines it is not unreasonable to suspect they make little to no money on it overall.

I therefore assume that they will only subsidise so much before the drain on profits impacts on their ability to make a required margin after covering fixed costs. It still comes down to the same issue : not enough orders.

Everyone loved the Dredd movie in retrospect, the problem was not enough people actually paid money to go and see it. I gave the Dredd movie money from multiple viewings at the cinema, bought the blu ray twice and own all the related merchandise.

I've bought every 3A product I can get my hands on, and await my 1/6 dredd eagerly. I can't do much more than that!  If we lose these things it's because there isn't sufficient demand for the product, simple as that.

dweezil2

No more 3A 2000AD figures would be a pisser!  :'(
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

BPP

I don't need Business Studies 101 thanks, you stated that you doubted 3A made a loss on the lines, I pointed out they are quite open that they do make a loss on several of their lines.

Being positive about their products engenders an atmosphere where people are prepared to take a chance and join the buying side. Being, as we have seen here and on other forums, only too quick to post negitivity, snide supposition, falsehoods and general disparagement fosters a bad image for a company trying to do something quite special and close to the heart of us all.

SIP

Quote from: BPP on 14 March, 2017, 09:47:13 PM
I don't need Business Studies 101 thanks, you stated that you doubted 3A made a loss on the lines, I pointed out they are quite open that they do make a loss on several of their lines.

Being positive about their products engenders an atmosphere where people are prepared to take a chance and join the buying side. Being, as we have seen here and on other forums, only too quick to post negitivity, snide supposition, falsehoods and general disparagement fosters a bad image for a company trying to do something quite special and close to the heart of us all.

Well, if you ever do need a quick lesson in business, please feel free to ask for advice. Only too happy to help.

You must be reading a very different set of posts to me, it would appear that there are 200+ mostly positive pages of comments here, not the overwhelming negativity you imply.

Can't avoid the fact that on the page before this there is someone having to repair their £70 figures with screws......my 8 year old plays with cheap hasbro rubbish on a daily basis that have smaller joints and the hands dont snap off. It's absolutely fine to call a company on that when paying this much. People shouldn't just suck it up and be grateful because it's 2000ad  as you appear to be inferring.

Mikey

Been over this sort of thing too many times and have made my own peace with my inner ravening toy fiend. 

When all's said and done I'm still over Weather Control I have not one, but two 1/6 Dredds on the way and a couple of the wee ones with Lawmasters already. Add Mongrol, Ro-Jaws, Sam Slade, Gronks, Judge Fishes, Tharg and the Dark Judges and I'm a very happy fan!
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

SIP

Quote from: Mikey on 14 March, 2017, 10:20:38 PM
Been over this sort of thing too many times and have made my own peace with my inner ravening toy fiend. 

When all's said and done I'm still over Weather Control I have not one, but two 1/6 Dredds on the way and a couple of the wee ones with Lawmasters already. Add Mongrol, Ro-Jaws, Sam Slade, Gronks, Judge Fishes, Tharg and the Dark Judges and I'm a very happy fan!

Quite a happy and positive toy collector myself, just object to BPP's deliberately inflammatory assertions that if someone makes a QC comment here or mentions a different Dredd figure that it is somehow the cause of the demise of the line. It's absolutely crazy. It's a limited market and a niche product. Mezco don't appear to be following up their Dredd figures for the same reasons.

lincnash

"Yup!" to the above.

3A closes 2000AD because a minority of PAYING CUSTOMERS discuss/argue/whine/compare on a public Internet forum. :lol:
The line may close due to minor character releases that only appeal to cashed-up Squaxx.
But very un-appealing to the 3A accounts department when the general public or casual collector opts out.
Market dictates the demand and there are a few discounted Sam Slade's on EvilPay at the moment.

Negative Nelly's like myself must be completely detrimental to the line.
Don't buy all the releases, but multiples of the ones I like.
Chop some up and pay homage to 2000AD using a 3A figure.

Enough soap-box for today, I'm gunna sit back with Fink and Ratty in da better 'ole. ;)

BPP

Quote from: SIP on 14 March, 2017, 10:25:48 PM
Quote from: Mikey on 14 March, 2017, 10:20:38 PM

Quite a happy and positive toy collector myself, just object to BPP's deliberately inflammatory assertions that if someone makes a QC comment here or mentions a different Dredd figure that it is somehow the cause of the demise of the line. It's absolutely crazy. It's a limited market and a niche product. Mezco don't appear to be following up their Dredd figures for the same reasons.

There is nothing 'deliberately inflammatory' about my statements. Unlike you who has failed to acknowledge your misrepresentation on 3A's policy on loss making lines.

But that's okay, I've made my point about being positive about this chance we've been given, some keyboard warriors just want to bash on as they can't bear for a moment to look at their own clay feet.

SIP

Quote from: BPP on 14 March, 2017, 10:34:00 AM
As 3A have said the Alpha, Ro-Jaws and Satanus are all pushed back for unfeasible costs / low sales estimates it puts in perspective the constant negativity and outright false groundless suppositions of certain folk here.

Well done.

This is an inflammatory comment. It is effectively you chastising anyone who has made what you perceive to be a negative comment on this thread. Last time I looked people do not need to conform to your opinion and are absolutely free to raise concerns about the quality of products that they purchase.

I can't assume to know 3As business model, but you only state that you assume that the 2000ad line is one of the lines that 3A accept as loss making and subsidise with other profitable lines. I am only saying that even if this is the case there would be a cut off as to how much money that the company could stand to lose. Whether Ashley likes 2000AD or not, I'm guessing he wants to meet the 3A payroll and pay his bills more.

Your initial argument is that some comments on a discussion thread have sunk the line. I just think that is unrealistic. You seem to believe that everyone should suck up QC issues and just accept that legs fall off, hand joints readily snap, paint rubs off, bits drop off etc. I believe a product should be fit for purpose and expect some quality control at a luxury price point.

Think I'm bored now as we are just going around in circles. I get that you don't want the line to fail, me neither. Unfortunately there just aren't enough middle aged men prepared to pay a high price for 2000ad action figures.

TheTooN

Copy n paste from Gregory over on the 3A forum this morning, I assume in response to yesterdays discussion in here.

"BTW nothing is canceled (except Satanus  :'(  ), we are actively making 2000AD figures and will continue to as long as 2000AD will have us. Ash and I want to make all the characters we can. It's a total joy and passion project for us and it's a total privilege to make them happen. Can expect at least one release per quarter which keeps momentum going and then when we can discuss the line up for 2018 we will"

Great to hear 3A are not thinking about dropping 2000ad any time soon.