Main Menu

Does my Art look big in this?

Started by staticgirl, 10 February, 2010, 02:33:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 04 February, 2017, 09:13:16 PM
Is that a Skeksis? (sp?)

Might be! Although I should stress that said beastie does not appear in any of the issues I've seen thus far... they're just great fun to draw!
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

SIP

Quote from: Tulio_Vilela on 04 February, 2017, 08:59:21 PM
Great! I really like your the storytelling and the figure drawiing!
Quote from: SIP on 04 February, 2017, 04:39:20 PM

A page from the ever-so-almost-complete "Lubatek" (written by PVS).

Thank you sir! Most kind.

Tulio_Vilela

Darren Stephens

Lovely work, Simon. Here's page 1 of a 10 pager I drew last year for issue 6 of Papercuts and Inkstains, from Madius comics. Lettering by Robin Jones.

https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

The Legendary Shark

Faffing about in GIMP 2.8, using an image by Eric Bradbury from Prog 361 as a base.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jim_Campbell

Quick brushpen & copic marker sketch of the inimitable Lazarus Churchyard. (Rubbish phone pic because my scanner's buried under a pile of stuff...)

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Legendary Shark

Just trying a bit of colouring today, (mis?)using flats and the dodge and burn tools. (GIMP 2.8 again.)

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

SuperSurfer

As it's 40 years of 2000AD and all that, I got all sentimental and dug up this photo.

It's not quite 40-years-old as it is probably from 1978.

We were planning on changing the wallpaper in my bedroom so I asked my Dad if my brother and me could draw on the walls. Kind of disappointed him as we mostly scrawled nonsense, but he was rather proud of this giant-sized Dredd I painted and would bring up relatives to show it to them.

Of course, true to form, I never finished it, which is why Dredd is one-armed.

Top left is my FOOM (Friends of old Marvel) membership poster by Steranko. (http://www.giantsizemarvel.com/2011/02/foom-artwork-by-steranko-kirby-buscema.html)

Below that is a poster that came with Marvel UK's FURY comic. Fans of Ezquerra should check out some of Ezquerra's superb front cover art. Shame about the comic strips though. I just found out the editor was Neil Tennant of the Pet Shop Boys. http://lewstringer.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/neil-tennants-fury.html

Rogue Judge

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 08 February, 2017, 07:44:44 PM
Just trying a bit of colouring today, (mis?)using flats and the dodge and burn tools. (GIMP 2.8 again.)

These are great Shark - seeing your work inspired me to download GIMP 2.8 last night. How did you learn to use GIMP - trial and error or did you find a good tutorial?

For one of the art comps I downloaded a trial of Corel Painter 11 (a free limited trial) and found it easy to use but it has since expired. Playing around with GIMP it seems more difficult to achieve the quality you are producing - well done!

Darren Stephens

Judge Rogue, may I suggest you take a look at Clip Studio (formally Manga Studio...). I originally used Corel Painter for all my digital painting/colouring- and still have it installed, upto 2016s version- but moved over to Clip a few years back . It's really nice to use, pretty cheap at the mo, too!

http://my.smithmicro.com/manga-studio-5.html?gclid=CjwKEAiArIDFBRCe_9DJi6Or0UcSJAAK1nFvvGjOEmMOKNowFQAwYdX4fymazZCQw6ZX1RPxDiA9DBoCh13w_wcB

Just a thought.  ;)  Also agreed. That's some lovely colouring Shark!   :)
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

The Legendary Shark

Thanks, chaps :)

Rogue, I'm actually using some old Photoshop tutorials I acquired ages ago and then forgot about (they're about digital painting and colouring in PS4 and 7!), it's just a case of figuring out the equivalent tools, settings and methods - which is pretty easy as they're mostly exactly the same. When I get stuck, a quick online search points me in the right direction. There are lots of GIMP tutorials online - maybe too many, which can be confusing when trying to figure out where to start. I suggest picking a project then diving in, figure out what you can by playing and look for specific tutorials as you need them or get stuck - that's all I'm doing.

In my experience, the easiest graphics package I ever used was CorelDRAW, which I found to be very well laid out and intuitive (unlike Photoshop and the GIMP, which seem unnecessarily fiddly to me) but I'm running on a Linux OS now so Corel's out because I can't be bothered messing about with WINE and such.

As for Corel Painter, I think that's a fantastic program and particularly like the image rotate function, which makes drawing and colouring so much easier. If only the GIMP had that, it'd be ten times better!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

SIP

A final version of this image.....changed the proportions a little, fixed the hair and added an ear! 😊

Woolly

Bloody hell Jim, thats lovely!
And stunning work from SIP also, great stuff.
Sharkey's colouring jobs are extremely good also  :thumbsup:

Ah, this threads great...

The Legendary Shark

Lovely image, SIP, the kind of art that makes me face up to how crap I am :(

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Rogue Judge

Thanks for the advice Darren Stephens, I have heard (and seen) great things about Manga Studio, and noticed this program used by some Droids for coloring as well. It is cheaper than I thought it would be too. Your art is excellent too by the way, very detailed!

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 12 February, 2017, 11:31:13 PM
Rogue, I'm actually using some old Photoshop tutorials I acquired ages ago and then forgot about (they're about digital painting and colouring in PS4 and 7!), it's just a case of figuring out the equivalent tools, settings and methods

Thanks for the info Shark. A mix of tutorials and practice is good advice. Until I buy a program (Manga Studio for instance) GIMP will be a great learning tool. I'm going to start working on an entry for this months art comp. and will use it as an opportunity to play around with GIMP. Much appreciated.

SIP - great work and colors, I like how clean your lines are! (your art style actually reminds me a little of the excellent Tim Seeley)