Main Menu

Duncan Jones wants to make a 2000 AD film

Started by Emperor, 12 March, 2010, 03:12:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

Yeah - if  it grows the readership base then that's a good thing.

I suppose the discussion to have is about the medium. We want good 2000ad stories featuring our favourite characters written by our favourite writers but, the way the world is heading, will comics drawn by your favourite artist be a thing in twenty years?

Are we heading to a world of vidslugs? Where comics - even digital - is a thing of the past? Is 2000ad Blockbuster video in a world of Netflix?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tony Angelino

Steve Green

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 20 March, 2017, 07:20:19 PM
Yeah - if  it grows the readership base then that's a good thing.

I suppose the discussion to have is about the medium. We want good 2000ad stories featuring our favourite characters written by our favourite writers but, the way the world is heading, will comics drawn by your favourite artist be a thing in twenty years?

Are we heading to a world of vidslugs? Where comics - even digital - is a thing of the past? Is 2000ad Blockbuster video in a world of Netflix?

I've no idea - it's possible.

Books have survived all sorts of media competing for time and money, so who knows.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Tony Angelino on 20 March, 2017, 07:46:48 PM
I'm guessing it will be Ant Wars.

I'd say Big Dave.  And the main character will be considered by everyone a normal, upstanding member of society who may well have a glittering political career ahead of him.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Tony Angelino on 20 March, 2017, 07:46:48 PM
I'm guessing it will be Ant Wars.

Well if the chap has any taste it will.

As for films of comics, and specifically 2000ad, its fun, its nice and yeah defo it takes nothing from the comics. If they can help the comics sustain and grow all the better. The thing is though they are all about compromise and fitting great stories into a different media and that rarely works for me.

The Dredd film is great fn and a very good movie. By necessity it couldn't have the range and scope of the comics. It was a great compromised effort. Takes nothing away from the folks who love it and I really enjoy, but is it as good as reading  2 hours of the best (or even good) Dredd.

No.

Goaty

Dandontdare

IndigoPrime

Ouch. Netflix not doing well. As for Mute, what a pity. I adored Moon – it's a superb film. I really wish I'd been able to see it on the big screen.

Steve Green

Plenty of other bad reviews plus some middling to OK ones.

What I find a bit whiffy is the framing of it (and others) as Netfflix's big flop.

It was the same with Bright, I'm wondering how much of an agenda there is at play by savaging OK films, just because they're on Netflix, or in Bright's case who was behind it.

I'll watch it at the weekend, I don't think it's helped with the glut of sci-fi, coming out a couple of weeks after Altered Carbon, and 6 months after Blade Runner 2049

Cosier

Couple of interesting tweets from Duncan...

I shall be teasing a work announcement tomorrow that I can't quite believe I am able to say.  Sometimes when life throws you lemons, it's because it knows you've got fish & chips coming!

A little nervous about this, but hell, nervous is where the fun is!
I'm going to be making a comic book movie next!  A pretty special one.
That's the initial tease...

Second tease to come in a few days!

Steve Green

Swerty

Am I being obtuse?Can you spell it out...

Colin YNWA

There's a more direct thread already. He appears to be making a Rogue Trooper film.

The Adventurer

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 15 July, 2018, 06:29:11 PM
There's a more direct thread already. He appears to be making a Rogue Trooper film.

There is? I can't seem to find it.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Beeks

Quote from: The Adventurer on 15 July, 2018, 07:44:56 PM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 15 July, 2018, 06:29:11 PM

There is? I can't seem to find it.

Film & TV forum
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens