Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Old Tankie on 17 March, 2017, 09:10:03 AM
What, that bloke who you say hasn't got a clue.

What part of: "it's his job" did you not understand? No one else is going to do this: it's his job. The fact that he's leading us off the cliff-edge that all but the most vehement Leave-ers promised us wouldn't happen is self-evident from his own words. But he's the man whose job it is to make this happen. That I'm appalled at his cluelessness doesn't change the fact that it's his job. He's the one in charge of this.

So, again: sterling crashes to less than parity with the dollar, we lose City of London passporting, Scotland leaves the Union and the Good Friday agreement collapses. Explain to me either: a) why this doesn't happen, or b) how we mitigate the effects of this disaster if it does.

Bonus points on offer for not mentioning sovereignty and/or explaining how the NHS and the housing market copes with a couple of million mostly-retired ex-pats coming home plays out if we continue to deport EU residents with perfectly reasonable cases for remaining in the U.K.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Old Tankie

Of course someone else can do it, he can be replaced like anyone else. Which of the things you have listed have happened? You are just making predictions. Come back to me when the things you have listed have happened.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Old Tankie on 17 March, 2017, 09:26:46 AM
Of course someone else can do it, he can be replaced like anyone else. Which of the things you have listed have happened? You are just making predictions. Come back to me when the things you have listed have happened.

'Inserts Blaze's falling sterling statistics here because GET YO HEAD OUT OF THE SAND!'

TordelBack

C'mon Jim, you know that winning the inalienable sovereign right to enjoy bananas with a variety of curvatures is all the mitigation anyone needs. Once those treasonous Scots have to subsist exclusively on Brussels-straightened fruit they'll be begging to submit to the rightful authority of the new Even Greater Britain.

Of course you could just continue to buy curvy bananas in the shops, and save everyone a truckload of grief. But that would be madness.

Old Tankie

So Hawkmumbler, when did the pound drop below parity with the dollar since the referendum?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Old Tankie on 17 March, 2017, 09:37:10 AM
So Hawkmumbler, when did the pound drop below parity with the dollar since the referendum?

I've explained this in some detail. The UK runs a catastrophic balance of trade deficit that is solely mitigated by financial services and sterling's strength is bolstered by being the default reserve currency of the EU. Brexit as currently configured (and with indication of a change of course) will end both those things. Considered solely on the strength of the economy, there is simply no way to argue that the pound should be worth more than the dollar.

At this point, you're doing nothing more than trolling, repeating the same bone-headed assertions and refusing to engage in detail with any refutation or counter-argument.

Old Tankie

Really! I'm "trolling" because I'm disagreeing with you Jim. Doesn't take much for you to resort back to insults, does it?

Goaty

Quote from: Old Tankie on 17 March, 2017, 09:59:11 AM
Really! I'm "trolling" because I'm disagreeing with you Jim. Doesn't take much for you to resort back to insults, does it?

Please read all your posts on here.

JamesC

Constantly disagreeing with reasoned arguments without offering any counter argument is pretty-much trolling I think.

You may as well be posting 'nah nah nah - can't hear you'.

Jim_Campbell

But you're not disagreeing with me. You're just saying "nuh-uh" to every reasonable, well-sourced concern that's being raised. You're doing it again here. I'm not insulting you, 'trolling' isn't an insult: I'm using it specifically in its correct meaning (a deliberate intention solely to provoke an intemperate response) rather than it's more common usage for general internet douchebaggery.

If that's not what you're doing, point me at some indication that the government's current 'plan' for Brexit isn't the worse-case scenario we were all promised wouldn't happen.

Old Tankie

OK, if that's what you think, let the moderators decide, if they agree with you I will leave the forum.

Hawkmumbler

Old Tankie

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Old Tankie on 17 March, 2017, 10:14:49 AM
OK, if that's what you think, let the moderators decide, if they agree with you I will leave the forum.

Or you could, y'know, make just one detailed, informed response to any of the concerns I've raised.

JamesC