Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 23 March, 2017, 12:31:07 PM
As for Sadiq Khan, it does seem like Prick Jnr's ridiculous and nasty tweet has backfired on him somewhat, judging by the general reaction around the world (leaving aside the appalling likes of Britain First).

...and the US will be our saviour when we disengage from all previous EU trade agreements (when they're not accusing our mayor of... whatever... and our secret service of spying on their president.  What could go wrong?

sheridan

Quote from: Old Tankie on 23 March, 2017, 12:45:41 PM
If the idea was to divide communities, it won't work in my street, we have English, Arabs, Pakistanis, Indians, Chinese, Italians, Polish, Turkish, Rumanian, among others and we all rub along fine. The actions of a nutcase will not change that.

I like the sound of your street.  No idea what the make-up of my street is, as it's one of the busiest roads in North London and not very pleasant to be on.  There is a mosque a few doors down though, and across the road some sort of christian meeting centre, plus an art centre at the far end.  Used to be a T.A. centre and a prison too, but they both closed.

Old Tankie

Thank you, it is a good place to live. I forgot to list my lmmediate neighbours, one side we have a lovely Scottish lady and on the other side we have a family of settled travellers, who are very good to me and the wife.

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ
link=topic=28209.msg950714#msg950714
date=1490272267

Quote from: The Legendary Shark
link=topic=28209.msg950692#msg950692
date=1490264839

Well, yes. I've never met the man but he is
certainly portrayed as a right Canute.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and
suggest that unless the media has conspired
throughout his whole life to invent everything
he has ever said (including doctoring video
and sound footage), then that portrayal is
pretty accurate.

I'm neither defending or condemning the man. He can say and believe what he wants but that doesn't mean I have to agree with him. Neither does it mean I have to hate him. Hate is his thing, not mine. Just as the only thing to fear is fear itself, the only thing worth hating is hatred. I prefer to look upon such people with pity, for they cannot see and will never experience the breadth and depth of the human race. (Not that I'm accusing you of hating him, JBC, but I know that there are those who do.)

As for the events in London, the loss of life is, as always, tragic, and, as Jim suggests, the political point-scoring and grip-tightening is nothing short of sickening. As Tankie points out, most human beings know how to rub along in relative harmony - it takes "leaders" to f*ck things up properly, in my view.

I can never now learn of such events without the words "Operation Gladio" springing to mind.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Frank

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 23 March, 2017, 02:26:02 PM
... the political point-scoring and grip-tightening is nothing short of sickening ... I can never now learn of such events without the words "Operation Gladio" springing to mind.

Sickening is correct. Your self-awareness has failed you.

The Legendary Shark

Maybe. I'm not in politics, though, and don't expect anyone to believe in or agree with what I say. These words spring to my mind, that's all. If expressing a personal opinion on a public forum is now classed as political point-scoring on a par with elected officials using such tragedies to push their solutions on the people under their control, then we're all guilty.

Oh no. I did it again...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

Removed double post.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

Thanks, Bolt - I'm having horrible connexion problems recently.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

I wonder how a President who has spent his life surrounded by yes-men is feeling after this latest NO? 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Steve Green

Carswell leaves UKIP, which leaves them with no MPs.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Steve Green on 25 March, 2017, 12:58:28 PM
Carswell leaves UKIP, which leaves them with no MPs.
Let the party fade away, let this be it's death wail.

Professor Bear

Unlikely.  UKIP are a means to keep the Overton Window on the right for the likes of Sky News and the BBC - the latter even declined to let the long-established Greens have airtime during election season in favor of UKIP.  It's always been a fringe party, and that's never stopped it getting publicity.

The Legendary Shark

Politics needs bogeymen to "protect" us from and to give the impression of freedom through controlled opposition. UKIP is one of those bogeymen.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 25 March, 2017, 02:23:28 PM
Politics needs bogeymen to "protect" us from and to give the impression of freedom through controlled opposition. UKIP is one of those bogeymen.
Again, a tad over simplifying the nature of human bigotry there Sharky but I know where you stand by now.

M.I.K.

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 25 March, 2017, 02:23:28 PM

UKIP are far more akin to witchfinders than witches.