Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikey

Yeah, being able to go back and forth over the border without fixed or mobile checkpoints is handy alright (I remember many times having to go waay out of my way when encountering the mined roads too), but even though a majority of NI voted to remain, when it comes to the actual border, a lot people who voted remain on the EU referendum will I feel see UK citizenship as more important to them. There's also what the Republic think which isn't really focused on much I reckon.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Mikey on 28 April, 2017, 01:53:22 PM, a lot people who voted remain on the EU referendum will I feel see UK citizenship as more important to them.

I suspect you're right.  But I wonder if the Brexit shit really does hit the economic fan whether they will think differently. 

In any case I'm not sure our government would be capable of keeping the six counties living in the lifestyle to which they have become accustomed.  The improvement in road quality, for example, is almost instantly noticeable as you cross the border Northwards.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Theblazeuk

I am listening to a podcast about a Role Playing Game called Red Markets, which is a 'game of post-apocalyptic economic horror. The dead have risen and the rent is still due'.

Why post this in the Politics Thread? Because one of the weird cults that have sprung up in the zombie apocalypse of this game is the Randians... despite other cults wilfully spreading infection, kidnapping children or performing wild field tests of experimental drugs, the Randians are the worst.

I recommend it!

TordelBack

I met a former colleague on the train yesterday, who works on RoI/NI cross border environmental planning issues. He reports that his entire working life is now 'fukkin Brexit Brexit Brexit Brexit...' and nothing, absolutely nothing else. He looked like shit.

And it hasn't even happened yet.

Professor Bear

He sounds like a whining ninny.
Brexit will be great success for glorious leader Theresa May.  Tory Reich will last one thousand years.

IndigoPrime

She's lost it. I was worried before. I'm terrified for the future of my country now. If it wasn't so insanely difficult to get all the information required for the Irish birth register, I'd be clutching an Irish passport for dear life right about now.

Goaty

Quote from: Goaty on 04 April, 2017, 01:43:19 PM
So no-one got fucking clues on what to do with Brexit?

Still nothing...

Tjm86

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 03 May, 2017, 08:16:37 PM
She's lost it. I was worried before. I'm terrified for the future of my country now.

Today's developments are truly terrifying but the question is what the feck can we do?  I mean, what is the alternative?  Corbyn?  Nuttall?  Farron?  How have we wound up in the position of having nobody in parliament that has the first clue how to run the country, other than in to the ground that is.  Voting in this election is the democratic equivalent of pointing a gun at your foot and pulling the trigger.

IndigoPrime

We're fucked, basically. IF enough people voted in a sensible fashion AND the young en mass decided to vote AND people took proper notice of the tactical option, even if that meant holding their nose before scribbling that X, we might be able to avoid a massive Tory majority. With a ton of luck, we could even get a hung parliament. That's our best bet, really.

And, yes, despite everything I think about Corbyn, I'd sooner he was in number 10 next month than May. He has all kinds of problems from an ideological standpoint, but May is beyond the pale. It'll be interesting to see what the backlash is like next GE. If (big if) Labour gets its act together, we could easily see another 1997. Well, assuming the Tories don't stitch everything up to the point it's impossible for anyone else to win. Mind you, the way May's going, other parties will be outlawed by July.

moly

Wait until June the 9th when she announces judge fish a deputy pm

Steve Green

Pretty safe tory seat here in Wimbledon - Labour have been pretty absent, Lib Dems a bit more active. 70% remain - but the incumbent had twice as many votes as the second placed candidate last time.

Flip Flopping between the two - but I can't see much change happening here.

Farron dealing with the leaver today looked a lot better than May's stealth tour.

Professor Bear

It only looks like she's lost it, because this xenophobic nonsense is bread and butter for the hard right Tory voters: "every setback is the fault of Johnny Foreigner out to settle a score with Blighty!"

Oh, and it goes without saying, but on no account vote.
It's too late already - some polls say so, and if some polls conducted by Tories and peers of the realm for conservative newspapers say so, then best just dig a hole and climb in.  It's a foregone conclusion.  Don't bother trying to mobilise or convince others to vote, just stay at home on the day or better yet, have a day out while you still can - the walls and security checkpoints haven't gone up yet, after all.  I hear the global warming that isn't happening has more or less guaranteed a sunny day, so a beach outing has to be a contender, though you should consider enjoying some countryside while you still have some, before fracking sinkholes swallow those parts of it not reserved for fox hunts.

IndigoPrime

I will vote tomorrow and I will vote in June. I don't think I've missed a vote since I turned 18 and I won't start now. And I hope the polling is vastly wrong so we can at least be a little happy the day after. But I feel like every week since last June has just been hammer blow after hammer blow, and I'm tired. Depressed, anxious and tired.

Modern Panther

VOTE!

It does matter.  They are not all the same.  It does make a difference. 

(And any any local candidate trying to convince you that voting them in to your local council will affect Brexit negotiations, or Scottish independence referendums, or anything else that isn't a local issue is a liar, an idiot, or thinks you're an idiot.)

VOTE!

IndigoPrime

No Lib Dem for me, nor Green. My choices were:

- Actually really good Tory I'd have voted for, had he not been a Tory. (After what's happened of late, and May's idiocy yesterday, it was a step too far to put my X in his box, so to speak.)
- A paper kipper
- The fucking Monster Raving Loony Party. (Just go away already.)
- A Labour bloke who on Facebook sounded pretty good, but has literally no chance of getting elected
- A local 'community campaign' rep, from a party that has about a third of the local council.

The last of those _might_ stand a chance, and so I went with him. But: bleurgh. If nothing else, this showcases that Tory extremism can erode support in some places. Five years ago, I'd have voted for the local Tory without a second thought. He's a decent bloke, has views that align with my own (in terms of local politics), and is very willing to meet and chat to residents. But the Tories are too toxic now for me to go near that option.