Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vzzbux

I think Labour camps should be re-introduced for the great unwashed who will never do a days work in their lives. Many would get of their fat drug induced arses if this was implemented. The Polish migrants etc do the farm work bramble picking etc so why cant all the scrounging dole scum on the council estates be made to do it.
Community service doesn't count as honest work.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

House of Usher

Quote from: HOO-HAA on 13 April, 2010, 07:25:11 PM
'An it harm none, do what ye will.'

We already have proper laws like that, enforced by the police and law courts. The principle of outlawing harm is behind laws against assault, murder, drink driving and disposing of hazardous waste improperly.

Unfortunately we also have laws against possession of recreational drugs, which should be nobody's business but the user's, laws which circumscribe our right to free assembly, and laws which insist drivers have to wear a seatbelt and motorcyclists must wear a helmet because the government has decided it knows better than they do what's good for them.

I cannot support the principle of freedom of choice in everything, I'm afraid. A lot of the things we take for granted as 'culture' wouldn't be possible if everyone just did their own thing. Museums and libraries would be ransacked in short order, and the perpetrators wouldn't be hurting anybody, would they? I like the conservation of not just 'historical,' but also merely old buildings. If I lived in a 15th century cottage, why should I not be allowed to set fire to it, or knock it down, or paint it bright green, windowpanes and all? Surely I wouldn't be doing any harm; I'd just be expressing myself. But my community would be culturally the poorer for it.

A creed that is predicated upon doing whatever you like as long as it isn't harmful would need to have a much narrower conception of what constitutes harm than we do already, seeing as the law would be very short on specifics and virtually impossible to enforce. I think the world would soon come to resemble the wasteland Max Headroom used to broadcast to.
STRIKE !!!

HOO-HAA

I think that's a myth, Usher.

The world wouldn't simply descend into chaos as soon as the government stepped aside. I would contest that, strongly. The government, of course, will encourage you to believe it, strongly.

Anarchy is what happens every day. It's the millions upon millions of voluntary actions that represent the vast, vast majority of what we call everyday life. The government put a tax on everyday life, however, introducing ever-incresing numbers of bureaus to collect the tax and spend the tax, and then feed the myth that their presence prevents everyday life descending into chaos.

Think of it this way - what do the government do that you and I and everyone else on the board couldn't do for ourselves more effectively?   

Mikey

To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

House of Usher

Surface the roads. I don't think my neighbours would do a very good job of it themselves.
STRIKE !!!

COMMANDO FORCES

Quote from: HOO-HAA on 13 April, 2010, 08:12:04 PM
Think of it this way - what do the government do that you and I and everyone else on the board couldn't do for ourselves more effectively?   

FUCK UP!

Colin MacNeil

Quote from: vzzbux on 13 April, 2010, 07:40:41 PM
I think Labour camps should be re-introduced for the great unwashed who will never do a days work in their lives.

Labour camps! Take two bottles of Zyclon B into the shower? Couldn't I be sent to a Liberal or Green Party camp instead, they sound so much nicer. :D

HOO-HAA

Quote from: Mikey on 13 April, 2010, 08:15:08 PM
Mount an invasion?

:P

M.

hahah!  :lol:

Quote from: House of Usher on 13 April, 2010, 08:16:02 PM
Surface the roads. I don't think my neighbours would do a very good job of it themselves.

Yeah, but could a private company or a not-for-profit company or a communal collective not work out some way forward there (excuse the pun)?

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 13 April, 2010, 08:16:30 PM
FUCK UP!

Sorry?

Paul faplad Finch

Quote from: HOO-HAA on 13 April, 2010, 08:12:04 PM

Quote from: House of Usher on 13 April, 2010, 08:16:02 PM

Beware. Ill-informed knee jerk response ahead.

I reckon that, as Usher quite rightly points out, there are many things done by the Government that are largely unnoticed. At least until they aren't getting done anymore. Refuse Collection? Free public lending libraries? Primary and Secondary education for all? The list goes on.

I will however agree that there may be a case for saying the Government meddles a little to closely in the minutae of our lives. This is a problem that seems only to be getting worse as time goes on.  I simply think that, in my opinion, a middle ground needs to be found. Anarchy is not the answer.

Will this middle ground be found anytime soon? I doubt it. Not until we get some politicians who understandd that they are elected to serve the population, not Rule it, and given the options available to us, we aint getting them this time around.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

HOO-HAA

Quote from: faplad on 13 April, 2010, 08:46:44 PM
I will however agree that there may be a case for saying the Government meddles a little to closely in the minutae of our lives. This is a problem that seems only to be getting worse as time goes on.  I simply think that, in my opinion, a middle ground needs to be found. Anarchy is not the answer.

Will this middle ground be found anytime soon? I doubt it. Not until we get some politicians who understandd that they are elected to serve the population, not Rule it, and given the options available to us, we aint getting them this time around.

I appreciate what you're saying, faplad. However, from my perspective, the system of organised politics is fundamentally and terminally flawed - it's not about getting the right man/ woman for the job.

I refer you back to Shark's metaphor of the ship, earlier in the thread...

HOO-HAA

But, I must add... on reflection, it seems like I'm coming across like an evangelist for anarchy. That's not my intention - it's my POV, but I feel no need to shove it down any other throats. In fact, way I see it, the more ideas on the table the better.

This has been a great thread with some wonderful debate. I've had a great time trading POVs with everyone but I might step back a little and see what others think.

Oh, and Shark... you da man.  :D

Roger Godpleton

He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Paul faplad Finch

Quote from: HOO-HAA on 13 April, 2010, 09:35:01 PM
This has been a great thread with some wonderful debate.

Indeed. I was a little worried that it could degenerate into a slanging match, which is why I waited as long as I did before joining it. Proof once again that this is the most civilised place on the web.

Still, plenty of time yet.

It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

HOO-HAA

Quote from: faplad on 13 April, 2010, 09:47:49 PM
Still, plenty of time yet.

Maybe we should continue the debate... with alcohol...

:-\