Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnystress

Interesting observation from yesterdays Guardian

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/apr/18/clegg-media-elite-murdoch-lib-dem

"I doubt if Rupert Murdoch watched the election debate last week. His focus is very firmly on the United States, especially his resurgent Wall Street Journal. But if he did, there would have been one man totally unknown to him. One man utterly beyond the tentacles of any of his family, his editors or his advisers. That man is Nick Clegg.

Make no mistake, if the Liberal Democrats actually won the election – or held the balance of power – it would be the first time in decades that Murdoch was locked out of British politics. In so many ways, a vote for the Lib Dems is a vote against Murdoch and the media elite.

I can say this with some authority because in my five years editing the Sun I did not once meet a Lib Dem leader, even though I met Tony Blair, William Hague and Iain Duncan Smith on countless occasions. (Full disclosure: I have since met Nick Clegg.)"

The Legendary Shark

Interesting. Maybe that explains this:

April 18, 2010
YouGov/Murdoch Distort Poll To Stop Lib Dem Momentum

YouGov produce a daily poll for the Sun and Sunday Times. Today's YouGov was the only post-debate poll to show the LibDems in third place.

http://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2010/04/yougovmurdoch_d.html

Surely this kind of thing is treason?
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Peter Wolf

I dont quite get the importance or point of that guardian article.
Quote from: johnnystress on 19 April, 2010, 01:49:23 PM
Interesting observation from yesterdays Guardian

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/apr/18/clegg-media-elite-murdoch-lib-dem

"I doubt if Rupert Murdoch watched the election debate last week. His focus is very firmly on the United States, especially his resurgent Wall Street Journal. But if he did, there would have been one man totally unknown to him. One man utterly beyond the tentacles of any of his family, his editors or his advisers. That man is Nick Clegg.

Make no mistake, if the Liberal Democrats actually won the election – or held the balance of power – it would be the first time in decades that Murdoch was locked out of British politics. In so many ways, a vote for the Lib Dems is a vote against Murdoch and the media elite.

I can say this with some authority because in my five years editing the Sun I did not once meet a Lib Dem leader, even though I met Tony Blair, William Hague and Iain Duncan Smith on countless occasions. (Full disclosure: I have since met Nick Clegg.)"
[/quote]

Of course thats all well and good but it doesnt address the fact that there are 4 other political parties in the UK besides the LibLabCon but i dont find the media focussing much on them so while this article points out the Murdoch influence its still reinforcing the LibLabCon because its claiming the LibDems are a voice for the powerless.The fact is i believe that LibDems are already a co-opted party and if they are not at present then they will be if they are elected and that includes Rupert Murdoch.

Also its very hypocritical of the author of the article to complain about the Murdoch influence on papers that publish pro-conservative propaganda while at the same time the Guardian has been pro-New Labour and especially Gordon Brown and much more than that.

The pot calls the kettle black.

How much coverage does the Guardian give to Conservatives and UKIP for example ?

It covers them but it doesnt endorse them in any way.

Hypocritical bullshit article that is guilty of that of which it condemns while the Guardian pushes its own style of propagnanda but because its not Murdoch then that makes it alright.

"The fact is much of the print press in this country is entirely partisan and always has been"

That must include the Guardian then and it doesnt exonerate itself from this by printing this revelation although its hardly that.

The other slant is that the author of the article is probably a disenfranchised New Labour supporter who is pissed that New Labour probably wont get re-elected so he has jumped ship to the LibDems and is very happy to see the propaganda wing of the Conservative party become ineffective.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Peter Wolf

I forgot to point out that the Sun was Pro Labour while David Yelland was editor although it had already started to move away from supporting Conservatives with its previous editor.Rebecca Wade who is also very pro labour replaced Yelland so the Sun continued to be pro Labour until very recently when it shifted back to being pro Conservative which is what i think David Yelland doesnt like.

So was David Yelland who is pro Labour and has connections with No10 complaining then about Rupert Murdochs influence then ?

Most probably not.

The Legendary Shark

I can't get ANY of my local Parliamentary candidates to answer a question. Indeed, they won't even reply to my emails! The question is:

"Should the British Government reclaim the responsibility of printing its own money?"

If anyone else would like to ask this question of their MPs/candidates, please do so and post any replies here. Ta!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

House of Usher

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 18 April, 2010, 02:23:39 PM
I am not taken in by Nick Cleggs professional northener facade.

Ugh. He's northern? Damn. And I was thinking of voting for his party. That's torn it.
STRIKE !!!

Peter Wolf

Quote from: House of Usher on 24 April, 2010, 11:48:03 AM
Quote from: Peter Wolf on 18 April, 2010, 02:23:39 PM
I am not taken in by Nick Cleggs professional northener facade.

Ugh. He's northern? Damn. And I was thinking of voting for his party. That's torn it.

Nick Clegg isnt a northener but he pretends to be northern by putting on an accent and pretending he is from sheffield when in actual fact he is from the home counties.Just another empty suit and a career politician.

M.I.K.

Nope, sorry, I don't understand why pretending you're from Sheffield would make more people want to vote for you. I'd be more inclined to think he's just picked the accent up due to being around people who talk with it rather a lot. It does happen, you know.

Personally, I'm just disappointed he's not a psychotic seven foot high talking alligator beasty from space.

The Legendary Shark

Vote for me.

I'm proper northern.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

M.I.K.

Pfft... You're not a real shark.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: M.I.K. on 24 April, 2010, 12:57:33 PM
Nope, sorry, I don't understand why pretending you're from Sheffield would make more people want to vote for you. I'd be more inclined to think he's just picked the accent up due to being around people who talk with it rather a lot. It does happen, you know.

All i am doing is stating where Nick Clegg is from for the record.

For example "I'm the only leader of the three leaders who actually comes from one of the great cities of the North."

This is what is incorrect because to say you come from somewhere means or implies that you originate or were born in a particular place and its dishonest and misleading to make claims that are incorrect.He doesnt say "I come from Chalfont St.Giles in Buckinghamshire but i represent my constituents in Sheffield" or "Despite coming from Buckinghamshire,Sheffield is my second home and i am proud to represent the people of one of the great cities in the North".

I could move to Scotland and after a while i might pick up the accent but it would be dishonest if i then made claims that i am Scottish.

Its just a small thing i know but i am a stickler for detail and facts or perhaps with X Factor politics details are not important.

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: M.I.K. on 24 April, 2010, 01:23:14 PM
Pfft... You're not a real shark.

I think you'll find that the issue isn't the reality of my sharkiness, but the beneficial effect my party will have on sharkiness in the future. I promise quality, affordable sharkiness for all (except those sections of society we neither like nor talk about) and I also promise something about tax.

Go on, vote for me. Makes as much sense as voting for anyone else and if there's one thing this country really does need it's a Sharxx Dek Thargo in Number 10.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

M.I.K.

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 24 April, 2010, 01:31:53 PM
For example "I'm the only leader of the three leaders who actually comes from one of the great cities of the North."

If that's what he's said, then that is indeed technically wrong. So fair enough. Doesn't necessarily mean he's putting on the accent though.

..and anyway, you're not even a real wolf.

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 24 April, 2010, 01:50:01 PM
Go on, vote for me. Makes as much sense as voting for anyone else and if there's one thing this country really does need it's a Sharxx Dek Thargo in Number 10.

Sorry, Shark. I already know who I'm voting for. http://malcolmkirk.deviantart.com/art/Doomlord-For-Prime-Minister-161313700

House of Usher

STRIKE !!!

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: House of Usher on 24 April, 2010, 02:15:40 PM
Quote from: M.I.K. on 24 April, 2010, 01:23:14 PM
Pfft... You're not even a real shark.

Fixed that for you.

I think you'll find that the issue isn't who fixed what for whom, but how little it would cost under the Sharkplan and how very much more it would've cost under a Doomlord government.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]