Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Mikey on 07 May, 2010, 11:19:17 AM
I think that was the UUP Jim.

You could very well be right. I couldn't be arsed to look it up.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Emperor

Well I think I got the fabled Triple Win - I voted with my heart, I voted tactically and it worked. I switched my vote to the party I used to vote for in order to keep out a candidate I can't stand and it worked (although it was close). :)

Plus on the national stage all three major parties got a hefty boot in their arrogant knackers. :D It was also entertaining watching the TV pundits squirming around trying to come up with a consistent narrative for the evening when the main story was really the lack of one ;)
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

HOO-HAA

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 07 May, 2010, 11:36:13 AM
I love that his unbounded arrogance still does not allow him to admit any wrong- he seems to be blaming the BBC for his downfall... when I'm pretty sure he was the one doing suspicious land deals and it was his wife who was fucking a nineteen year old boy...

:lol:

It did make me smile to see the Robinson dynasty crumble.

Peter Wolf

I thought that Nick Clegg accepted defeat with good grace so i was impressed with that.

Also Mandelslime looked well pissed off this morning  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bye Bye slimeball Mandelson.[Being hopelessly optimistic here as i think we havent seen the back of that POS yet]

It does seem that a lot of Labour supporters are blind to their parties inadequacies and failures because they are not as bad as Tories so it seems there votes are based on loyalty rather than actualities of just how disasterous New Labour have been while in office not to mention the class issue as well but its worth pointing out that its Labour that have enriched the Banksters etc at the expense of the working person not to mention their onslaught/assault on civil liberties wheras i always thought that a Liberal govt would protect them.Not so with Labour.

Its fair to point out that the assault on civil liberties and the surveillance society started with Conservatives and no doubt that they would have continued it if they stayed in office after 1997.

I didnt vote Conservative but i dont think that Labour are inherently better.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

COMMANDO FORCES

I love the way that a bloke who was not elected to rule, became the Prime Minister due to a deal done years ago is now trying to hang onto power, after his party lost the election. If this was happening in a third world country, Labour voters would be up in arms about it.
Still I'm sure Clegg will stand by his word and if he did go with Labour, at least Brown would be out.

On a personal note, I thoroughly enjoyed the tweets of doom by the Red Army last night, as their rally cry went unheard  :lol:

Peter Wolf

Does anyone know why Scottish Nationalism/Independence isnt a bad thing  and yet British Nationalism/independence is ?

Forget the BNP as i am not talking about them.

I am only talking here strictly about Nationalism in terms of wanting independence and sovereignty but i guess its because the SNP being left wing are inherently good yet when its UKIP Nationalism/independence is not good because the party leans to the right yet clearly Nationalism/Independence is a by-partisan issue.

Obviously there are different ways to go about this but i am arguing purely in the sense of sovereignty and self rule in principle and i dont think anyone can argue that self rule/sovereignty is a bad thing or you wouldnt be voting in a UK election.

Unless you are a fifth columnist or a quisling of course.

Just pointing out the flaw in this kind of thinking and the hypocrisy of it all.

Robin Low

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 07 May, 2010, 07:36:10 PM
I love the way that a bloke who was not elected to rule, became the Prime Minister due to a deal done years ago is now trying to hang onto power, after his party lost the election.

Depressingly, I find myself not caring in the slightest - I can't see how having anyone else in charge for the last few years would really have made anything better. I come back to the lesser evil option, and right now I think that is Brown and Clegg working something out. Electoral reforms and Vince Cable as Chancellor might not be a bad start.

QuoteIf this was happening in a third world country, Labour voters would be up in arms about it.

I'm more concerned about the people who queued to vote but couldn't. Numerically, their votes wouldn't have made a difference as I understand it, but I find that loss of democratic rights far more appaling than an electoral quirk that allows Brown to hang-on until something else is sorted out.

Regards

Robin

Robin Low

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 07 May, 2010, 09:47:45 PM
Does anyone know why Scottish Nationalism/Independence isnt a bad thing  and yet British Nationalism/independence is ?

Personally, I've got no time for nationalism of any variety. I also believe that united we stand, divided we fall. Appreciating and caring for your home is noble, but making a political and divisive issue out of it just causes trouble.

However, the key difference between Scottish and Welsh nationalism is that the Scots and Welsh nationalists are concerned with the excessive political influence of England. Poltically active British nationalists tend to be concerned with the mere presence of non-white people in their midst.

That's a generalisation, but the tendency resluts in the negativity.

Regards

Robin

Peter Wolf

Quote from: Robin Low on 07 May, 2010, 10:01:52 PM

Personally, I've got no time for nationalism of any variety. I also believe that united we stand, divided we fall. Appreciating and caring for your home is noble, but making a political and divisive issue out of it just causes trouble.

However, the key difference between Scottish and Welsh nationalism is that the Scots and Welsh nationalists are concerned with the excessive political influence of England. Poltically active British nationalists tend to be concerned with the mere presence of non-white people in their midst.

That's a generalisation, but the tendency resluts in the negativity.

Regards

Robin

I dont actually like using the term "Nationalism" myself because of its associations which makes me slightly uncomfortable and i was only using it in the context of the SNP.I would rather just use the words sovereignty - self rule and independence.

Not arguing with you about British Nationalists but my concern is the excessive influence of the EU.

Dandontdare

i guess its because the SNP being left wing are inherently good pocrisy of it all.
Where on earth do you get the idea that the SNP are left wing?  I was a lefty student in Scotland, and I always had the impression that the SNP were the party of rich establishment  types, while labour were the left working class alternative. The Tories didn't even get a mention. Their USP was Scottish independence, but they weren't lefty in any other respect.

vzzbux

I can't believe after all Gordon Brown and Labour has put us through over the last 14 Centuries years so many still voted. Sheesh..

Would have thought the lib dem's had done better though.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Dandontdare

Lib dems got greater percentage of the vote but less seats.

Tories demanding right to form govt when they agreed the rules just 2 years ago in a cross party committee- the sitting party gets first dibs on forming a coalition govt,

I can't see why the lib-dems would form a coalition with the tories as they're 100% against electoral reform. If they make that their condition, a coalition with labour (sans Brown) could see us achieve a more rational system.

If the lib dems have any balls they'll sacrifice every other policy in a one-shot blast at getting this ridiculous constituency system reformed.  They'll never have a better chance.

I'm just clutching at any scenario that will avoid another fucking tory administration! AAAARGH!

Roger Godpleton

Meanwhile I'm clutching at your mom to set up a very fucking administration.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Peter Wolf

Quote from: Dandontdare on 07 May, 2010, 10:24:29 PM
i guess its because the SNP being left wing are inherently good pocrisy of it all.
Where on earth do you get the idea that the SNP are left wing?  

Thats what they claim they are themselves going by their website.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 07 May, 2010, 11:11:11 PM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 07 May, 2010, 10:24:29 PM
Where on earth do you get the idea that the SNP are left wing?  

Thats what they claim they are themselves going by their website.
Just had a look at their website and even tried a search under "left" - couldn't find anything. Could you provide a link?