Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Doctor Alt 8

For sale: One unwanted PM
John Major's Spitting Image puppet

John Major's Spitting Image puppet is to go under the hammer next month.

Auctioneers Bonhams expect the all-grey model to fetch £3,500 as part of a double lot with his wife Norma.

It is not the first former Prime Ministerial puppet to be sold. Tony and Cherie Blair's puppets recently fetched £12,600, while Baroness Thatcher went for £5,040. Gordon Brown got just £4,800 in 2007.

Stephanie Connell of Bonhams said: 'These items are a great piece of British television and political memorabilia and the popularity of Spitting Image puppets continues - they are much loved by politicians and the public alike.'

Banners

Is it just me, or does anyone else think Theresa May is quite sexy?

M@

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Banners on 20 May, 2010, 09:43:23 AM
Is it just me, or does anyone else think Theresa May is quite sexy?

M@

It might be the other Theresa May you're thinking of..?

uncle fester

I hope it's the other one he's thinking of...

Christov

So, the government is looking to use some of the license fee to pay for high speed broadband being rolled out into rural areas.

I'm not quite sure what to make of this...

The Legendary Shark

Well, I guess most of you know what I think.

If the government created its own money instead of letting the banks do it at interest, we could afford to give everyone free broadband for life.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Roger Godpleton

Is it just me or did Theresa suddenly get real old, real fast?
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Peter Wolf

Quote from: Christov on 20 May, 2010, 01:11:18 PM
So, the government is looking to use some of the license fee to pay for high speed broadband being rolled out into rural areas.

I'm not quite sure what to make of this...

While i dont begrudge the idea too much in principle its curious because this is part of an ongoing trend that i am see a lot of now where public funds like licence fee revenues and tax revenue is increasingly being used to fund the private sector.

Why is it ?? that the private sector I.E ISPs cannot fund this rollout of high speed broadband connection to rural areas themselves ??

Am i missing something here ?

Why is it if there is talk of cuts in the services that the BBC offers then why is the licence fee revenue which is in itself a pretty constant source of revenue being used for this purpose ?

BTW i heard somewhere that 6Music is not going to be axed after all.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

COMMANDO FORCES

I say FUCK those country folk, always slagging off us townies, they can stick with bloody dial up  >:(

Peter Wolf

Since when is this part of the remit of the BBC anyway ?

Having said that it must be because of the BBCIPlayer service not being available without high speed broadband but it doesnt justify the expense of providing the infrastructure for it unless it remains the property of the BBC which means its the property of every licence fee payer so does the BBC itself become an ISP ?

The Govt/BBC will probably just turn the whole thing over to the private sector anyway.

COMMANDO FORCES

It's just like public transport, which seems to be all run by private companies, yet loads of public cash is splashed out to help them out  ::)

vzzbux

If you want decent Iplayer go for the new Virgin HD box (cisco). It's not that bad really.
If you upgrade you current Digi and keep that one on your account for another room it is free, beats paying a flat £49 for one

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 20 May, 2010, 01:24:13 PM
Well, I guess most of you know what I think.

If the government created its own money instead of letting the banks do it at interest, we could afford to give everyone free broadband for life.

Its good news what is going on in Greece lately.I am not saying that rioting and the destruction of property that is an inevitable consequence of rioting is a good thing but they should keep it up and tell their govt and the Goldman Sucks criminals and all the rest of them to go fuck themselves and tell them that they will just have to eat their losses that they were responsible for.It will collapse the Euro as well and after a period of re-adjustment life will improve.

They should also just leave the Eurozone ASAP and repudiate their debts and start all over again with a clean slate.

What makes gangsterBanksters think that they have the right to have a risk free business/investment enviroment when no one else does ?

Why cant they accept a certain amount of loss themselves and impose cutbacks on themselves ?

I say risk free because the taxpayer refunds them for their losses.

What you ask for will happen eventually anyway as its just a case of when.

Like someone else said in a comment i read earlier you cant expect to fix the problem if you are using the same logic that created and perpetuates the problem and the cause of the problem in the first place which is what these idiot politicians and Banksters will never understand unless they dont want to if you see what i mean.

There needs to be more of this sort of thing and lots of it and the people always have the upper hand ultimately if they choose to exercise it.

Their days are numbered.

Peter Wolf

Robin Low

Glad to see the back of the essentially pointless ID cards, but I have less of a problem with CCTV. I don't actually find it at all intrusive, but its value was brought home to me a few years ago when a serial rapist was caught because it was noticed that the same car kept appearing in the areas around where that attacks took place. The rapist had been using his girlfriend's car, so once the police had the car linked to the areas and times they just followed the trail.

Also, it can help alert police, fire and ambulance services to problems before a 999 call is made, if such a call is made at all.

Regards

Robin