Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

House of Usher

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 04 August, 2010, 06:15:15 PM
Can anyone tell me how many council houses 'NEW' Labour built whilst they ruled the land.

The figure for 2008 was 375. I don't know how many for the period 1997-2010, but the answer is 'not many.' Most new social housing built since 1980 was built by housing associations - councils just didn't have the money to do it, and they weren't allowed.
STRIKE !!!

TordelBack

Everything Usher lists rings true.  It's not entirely comparable to a house, but you should see the shenanigans that go on over here in the Banana Republic with the means-tested Medical Card (entitling the 'lucky' 30% (of which many are OAPs) to free GP visits (currently ca. €60 a visit, even for babies), prescriptions, glasses and dental treament).  

If you've a few kids, or god forbid you or one or more of your family has any kind of chronic or persistent medical needs it's a life-saver, but get any kind of even average-paying job and it's gone and that's all suddenly got to come out of your wage - almost by definition you'll be worse off working, unless you can get a well-paid position straight out of the gate.  Add to that the extreme difficulty of getting your card back if your new job turns out to be short term, and it's a serious disincentive to doing anything that might increase your (declared) income

I've known several highly capable blokes who were effectively stuck in an endless cycle of training schemes, 'community employment' and nixers so that they could hang on to their medical card to support sick kids, and in one case a sick wife.  The term 'poverty trap' could have been coined for this one thing.  Imagine that scenario heightened by the fear of losing your home.

Dandontdare

It's insanity. Get a good job - and lose your home! Can't think of a bigger disincentive.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 04 August, 2010, 06:33:32 PM
Everything Usher lists rings true.  It's not entirely comparable to a house, but you should see the shenanigans that go on over here in the Banana Republic with the means-tested Medical Card (entitling the 'lucky' 30% (of which many are OAPs) to free GP visits (currently ca. €60 a visit, even for babies), prescriptions, glasses and dental treament).  

If you've a few kids, or god forbid you or one or more of your family has any kind of chronic or persistent medical needs it's a life-saver, but get any kind of even average-paying job and it's gone and that's all suddenly got to come out of your wage - almost by definition you'll be worse off working, unless you can get a well-paid position straight out of the gate.  Add to that the extreme difficulty of getting your card back if your new job turns out to be short term, and it's a serious disincentive to doing anything that might increase your (declared) income

I've known several highly capable blokes who were effectively stuck in an endless cycle of training schemes, 'community employment' and nixers so that they could hang on to their medical card to support sick kids, and in one case a sick wife.  The term 'poverty trap' could have been coined for this one thing.  Imagine that scenario heightened by the fear of losing your home.

Yes, we have a society that encourages fraud, even Ivor Callely's doing it. If you feel bad about it you can go to your local priest, confess your sins, chant a few incantations and still feel good about it afterwards. If it worked for the Corleones why not us?

Peter Wolf

Quote from: Dandontdare on 04 August, 2010, 08:54:07 PM
It's insanity. Get a good job - and lose your home! Can't think of a bigger disincentive.

Another disincentive must be the cost of private sector housing either to rent or buy especially in London.

Another disincentive is if you live in an area that is populated by second home owners like Cornwall.

Another disincentive is the general lack of job security which means you might at one point no longer fit the criteria for a council tenancy and then 6 months down the line you are out of a job.

Another disincentive on top of that is knowing that if you re-apply then you go right to the back of the queue

There are probably lots more.

Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Something Fishy

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 04 August, 2010, 10:02:33 PM

Another disincentive is if you live in an area that is populated by second home owners like Cornwall.

spot on Pete.  We have amongst the lowest wages in the UK and yet highest house prices due to that.  I work in a social housing trust and we provide a vital lifeline for people here. We have thousands on our waiting list.  It's a horrible situation.  Rural hidden homelessness is rife here.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 04 August, 2010, 01:16:44 PM
Yeah, I thought pretty much what Dan thought - however, the dodgy removal of the peers from the House of Lords is interesting, constitutionally speaking.

There is probably some truth in it knowing Neu Liebours shenanigans and the removal of heriditary peers and replacement with various Neu Liebour Lefist trash and curry kings etc etc and cash for peerages but any claims that it was all about removing the monarchy are utterly ridiculous because it doesnt quite work like that at all as the queen is a lot more than just a titular token figurehead.She co owns the whole country and banking system so she isnt going to be pushed out by a load of trashy Neu Liebour Nouveau champagne Marxists/Communitarians.

As for disregarding the uncollated into one article UK constitution rather than it being a conspiracy its more like a complete disregard for it just the same as it is with the Obamba adminstration in the US who totally disregard the US Constitution.

Forget it as its just silly and if anything she is complicit in the whole thing.She isnt going anywhere unfortunately.

The article itself was hard work to read and badly written and structured and it doesnt do the author or websites credibility any good whatsoever especially to those who know nothing about the subject and think its all "conspiracy nonsense".I was reading it and i was thinking just get to the bloody point of what the actual legal disparagy is but before that happens you have to wade through far too much personal opinion which was structured in such a way to attempt to force you to read through the article before it gets to the point.I dont like that type of thing and its what you do find with websites that are trying to sell you something which of course it was although there is nothing wrong in priciple with selling a product to finance your operations.

Good writing should make you want to keep reading which the article didnt as i was scrolling down it without really reading it.

Amongst other things the article is claiming that G.H.W bush is head of the banking fraternity which as far as i know is wrong as in reality G.H.W.Bush isnt that far up the mafia food chain.

The author of the article who is an investigator/journalist died very recently :

http://www.worldreports.org/news/6497_christopher_story_frsa

I have read a lot of conjecture online from various sources about the circumstances of the authors death which talked about the author being deliberately infected with viruses or something which triggered the "short illness" as he was a nuisance to the establishment.Of course this either sounds like an off the peg conspiracy theory or there might be something in it as its not exactly unknown for various people who knew too much to be suicided or irradiated or offed in any number of different ways.Dr.Kelly springs to mind here for obvious reasons.

The David Cameron Cancellasse thing is just David Cameron playing to the conservative voters/Daily Mail readers/taxi drivers/whatever and posturing because somehow David Cameron [A change agent] has got to convince them all in the next 4 years that himself and the Conservative party are actually Conservatives when in reality they are not as there are only superficial differences between them and Liebour.They think that if they give an overpriviledged Toff from Eaton in a penguin suit groomed by Bilderbergers the premiership is enough when it isnt.David Cameron is another Trojan horse and is a fan of Saul Alinsky and if you dont know who Saul Alinsky is then look it up.

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 05 August, 2010, 11:31:06 PM

Nobody tells the truth except nobody.

The Legendary Shark

End Legal Loan Sharking

The UK's poorest borrowers pay the highest price for credit in Europe – we can change that.

With the End Legal Loan Sharking campaign gathering momentum every day, there has been a buzz of activity and support from politicians, academics, campaign groups and, most importantly, individuals emailing the Prime Minister to encourage him to cap the total cost of credit. Yet, from one group of people, the silence is deafening...

http://www.endlegalloansharks.org.uk/

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Peter Wolf

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 25 August, 2010, 01:44:59 PM
End Legal Loan Sharking

The UK's poorest borrowers pay the highest price for credit in Europe – we can change that.

With the End Legal Loan Sharking campaign gathering momentum every day, there has been a buzz of activity and support from politicians, academics, campaign groups and, most importantly, individuals emailing the Prime Minister to encourage him to cap the total cost of credit. Yet, from one group of people, the silence is deafening...

http://www.endlegalloansharks.org.uk/

There needs to be more promotion of Credit Unions especially when you compare a monthly interest rate of 1 percent - 12.7 APR on all loans over £2600 compared to the 2500 percent APR of Loan sharks.

http://www.eastsussexcu.org.uk/content.asp?section=163

I have to say that you must be pretty stupid to sign up for a loan with an interest rate of 1737 percent interest but really people need to be protected from their own stupidity by not making those kinds of interest rates available.

Doorstep unofficial loan sharks interest rates should be repaid using a baseball bat.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 25 August, 2010, 03:53:16 PM

Doorstep unofficial loan sharks interest rates should be repaid using a baseball bat.

::) :-[ :-[

That was worded really badly .I meant to say that the doostep loan sharks should be on the receiving end of the baseball bat.

Not the other way around.

The Legendary Shark

Absolutely. It's about time money and credit began to be used as a tool for the advancement of all society rather than the vehicle of economic slavery. As somebody whose name I can't remember once said, slavery means that you have to pay for the food, water and housing of your slaves whilst economic slavery expects your slaves to pay for their own food, water and housing.

Money, like water, is essential to the smooth running of society, which is why neither should ever have been privatized. I won't be content until the ability to create and control the money supply is taken away from the private central banks and returned to the government, where it belongs. The above link is a small step in the right direction, but that's all it is.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Peter Wolf

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 25 August, 2010, 04:30:58 PM
The above link is a small step in the right direction, but that's all it is.

Rope and forfeiture of cash and assets is another step in the right direction.

Criminal charges and proceedings and incarceration are another.

Like you i will never accept or submit to these robber barons as resolve runs very deep.

What is there to lose ??

The Legendary Shark

Only our chains, brother, only our chains.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]