Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Well, I've done my democratic duty and I think this is the first time I've properly understood how to use the STV system.

Yeah there's an election today. Hopefully it will get rid of a bunch of oversea kleptocratic authoritarians who cost the British tax payer millions and deny citizens civil rights that have been previously approved by Westminster. No, not the EU, the DUP/Sinn Fein power sharing assembly.
You may quote me on that.

Rately

Quote from: Mister Pops on 02 March, 2017, 09:28:22 PM
Well, I've done my democratic duty and I think this is the first time I've properly understood how to use the STV system.

Yeah there's an election today. Hopefully it will get rid of a bunch of oversea kleptocratic authoritarians who cost the British tax payer millions and deny citizens civil rights that have been previously approved by Westminster. No, not the EU, the DUP/Sinn Fein power sharing assembly.

Fingers crossed, fella.

We may not get the change we want this time, but a few bruised egos and bloody noses are on the way.

Mikey

Did you draw a wee cock and balls in all the boxes?

Joking aside (or not - it is about the Assembly after all) was interesting to hear that initially voter numbers were up. Haven't heard the news this morning so don't know if that's been confirmed.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Theblazeuk

The EU is not Authoritarian, other than by the woolly standards of the abstract anarchist.

TordelBack

As Sharky rejects the authority of all states (he has not granted them power to coerce etc.), the EU is unlikely to be judged fairly.

Rately

Quote from: Mikey on 03 March, 2017, 07:11:30 AM

Did you draw a wee cock and balls in all the boxes?

Joking aside (or not - it is about the Assembly after all) was interesting to hear that initially voter numbers were up. Haven't heard the news this morning so don't know if that's been confirmed.

Early numbers and reports saying it's the biggest voter turnout in a decade.

We might be in for a few shocks.

Professor Bear

Lots of foreign voters prompted the comment "there's no Prods in Poland" in my local Supervalu - where I get all my political news, FYI - and I believe this is a nuanced comment on the potential percentage of first-preference Nationalist votes that may have been cast in the election, though obviously not being a politics scientist I wouldn't personally have expressed this observation so succinctly.  Or at least I would have kept it to myself while I was working.

The only real shock would be a centrist party taking a lead over one of the Big Two, but I think the high turnout might just as likely have been hardline voters scared that their party might lose ground over the Assembly collapse.  Though I'd be happy to be proven wrong, it's hard to see any SNP-style upset happening.

Mikey

Yeah, it's tempting to think it's a sign people want to change the make up of the Assembly, but it's as likely just trying to stop Themuns as usual. Honestly think the same two parties will be returned to OFMDFM but with a fair wind, the petition of concern will hopefully be limited to its original intent.

Mikey

Just saw the turnout was 64.78% - up from 54.9% at the last election.

Mikey

Looks like the Shinners and Alliance have done well then. Pretty chuffed Alliance were top of the pops in my constituency, despite All The Dup standing.

Tjm86

So Mrs May decides to stand up in Scotland and slag off the SNP for being more concerned with politics than making sure Scottish public services are run properly.  I am assuming that this is satire of the highest order since the Tory Westminster government is running public services in England (and to a lesser extent Scotland and Wales through it's budget) into the ground.  A crisis in pretty much every aspect of public services at present as a result of political choices made by the party in power.  Never mind the impact that privatised services are having.  Southern Rail 'customers' victims must be particularly impressed.

On the Stormont election vote, as a former legitimate target of the IRA it is a little galling to find that Sinn Fein are moving ahead.  That said, I understand from our Gaelic Boarders that the alternative is not great either so I guess that makes a bit of sense.  I think describing our political classes as hopeless is probably the most charitable option.

Mikey

Quote from: Tjm86 on 03 March, 2017, 07:06:43 PM
On the Stormont election vote, as a former legitimate target of the IRA it is a little galling to find that Sinn Fein are moving ahead.  That said, I understand from our Gaelic Boarders that the alternative is not great either so I guess that makes a bit of sense.

Far be it from me to sound like I'm defending Sinn Fein, but my take on it is they are actually better at politics than the DUP as in they at least appear to be prepared to compromise and dare I say it, move on. The DUP are as far away from my hopes and social outlook as you can probably get in NI what with the hating the gays, the environment and atheists to name a few, never mind the impression they'd sell yer granny for a few quid.

Didn't tick a box for either of them in case you're wondering!

As it stands at the moment, it looks like it could be a Sinn Fein First Minister. They have said before the election that they will not go into government with Arlene Foster, so I could see the DUP putting her forward as Deputy First Minister, meaning no Assembly will be formed which will lead to direct rule again. I really don't think the DUP really want that either, so it'll be a laugh to see what happens.

Modern Panther

Brought to mind Lord Foulkes' comments on the Scottish government from a few years back...

"The SNP are on a very dangerous tack. What they are doing is trying to build up a situation in Scotland where the services are manifestly better than south of the border in a number of areas.

"Is that a bad thing?"

"No, but they are doing it deliberately."

Professor Bear

I'm pulling for the Shinners to take the lead, as it means that the DUP won't have the majority necessary to use a Petition Of Concern to block marriage equality anymore.