Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CalHab

Quote from: Old Tankie on 17 March, 2017, 11:33:45 AM
Well, if I haven't broken any rules, I shall carry on in my own merry way! Hasn't the stock market done well since the referendum.

The FTSE100 and, to a lesser extent, the FTSE250 report in dollars. The tanking of the pound has been entirely to their benefit. If you're not a multi-national then it has been extremely painful.

I can't help but think that you've had this explained to you before, though.

Steve Green

IndigoPrime

Wow. That kind of mature and reasoned debate is sure to win the hearts of Scots.

CalHab

It's that kind of thinking that got the Labour party where it is today.

The Legendary Shark

And people wonder why I despise the current system.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

When you're married to a bully who dismisses your opinion on their hare-brained schemes that affect you both, lords their control of the purse strings over you, belittles you and then won't even accept your right to consider the option of a divorce... Well, that should tell you all you need to know.

As an outsider I'd truly hate to see Scotland leave the UK, I'm convinced that you should all be stronger and better off together being British as well as Scots/Welsh/English (I'll hold my counsel on the other crowd), and I generally favour the largest possible political groupings of countries, but under the circumstances I'm not sure Scotland has much choice. I know i'd prefer to see the likes of Sturgeon in charge of my destiny than May and her kind.

Modern Panther

QuoteWow. That kind of mature and reasoned debate is sure to win the hearts of Scots.

Sadly, you just have to win the hearts of the right Scots.  Given that Scottish Labour are dead, the Lib Dems are heading that way, and the Ruth Davidson Party are feasting on the remains, the electorate are polarized between those who will vote Yes and those who wouldn't vote Yes if Sturgeon personally gave them a kidney. 

sheridan

Quote from: Old Tankie on 17 March, 2017, 12:21:21 PM
So people don't spend their pensions on food then, that's where I've been going wrong.

The previous assertion was that pensions invested in the stock market put food on the table.  The time that pensions are invested in stocks and shares is generally at least five to seven years before expected to be drawn.  By the time you get close to retirement date you want it in more stable investments so you can actually plan your retirement.  That's the idea anyway.  I think we'll see a lot of people get a big shock in about twenty years time when they realise that their meagre pension won't even cover their rent (which won't be covered by housing benefit, at least not to the extent it would have been if they'd been a generation older).

NapalmKev

I'm finding it increasingly more hilarious how TV reporter's and Newspapers are trying to combat Fake News when they've been peddling the exact same shit for decades!

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Professor Bear

The BBC's political editor was caught editing footage to suit her narrative - the BBC declared through its own internal review body that there was "no intent to deceive".  The same political editor describes the Crown Prosecution Service's two-dozen separate investigations into Conservative election fraud in the 2015 General Election as "mistakes", despite whistleblowers coming forward and saying it was not only deliberate, but organised - on the national scale - by party HQ.

There is no fake news, only approved news.

von Boom

Bring on the Ministry of Truth.

Steve Green

Quote from: Professor Bear on 18 March, 2017, 01:22:38 PM
The BBC's political editor was caught editing footage to suit her narrative - the BBC declared through its own internal review body that there was "no intent to deceive".  The same political editor describes the Crown Prosecution Service's two-dozen separate investigations into Conservative election fraud in the 2015 General Election as "mistakes", despite whistleblowers coming forward and saying it was not only deliberate, but organised - on the national scale - by party HQ.

There is no fake news, only approved news.

What's amazing is that after the whole thing with the Queen being edited to look like she stormed out, I had to complete an online compliance test, because as a freelancer I was producing the titles for a light entertainment panel show.

But this description of the expenses fraud is fine, apparently.

Frank

Yes! Corbyn's general disapproval of a shoot to kill policy is all anyone ever mentions with regard to Labour. That's why when you ask someone why they're not voting for Labour, their main reason is that Corbyn's weak on terrorism:

https://yougov.co.uk/opi/browse/Jeremy_Corbyn

Despite everyone - including his former supporters, in the wake of the Article 50 debacle - agreeing that Corbyn is a useless leader of the opposition, one tiny Scottish lady with Douglas Carswell's mouth saying exactly the same thing is why Momentum-era Labour have consistently polled around 30% [1] since September 2015, even though Tory fortunes have yo-yoed wildly during that same period (30% - 47%):

It's almost as if Momentum's message appeals to a rump of diehards but absolutely nobody else. Some Momentum loyalists are smart enough to realise this, which is why they console themselves with meaningless displacement activities, like finding fault with the editing of public service news broadcasts.

They're not blind to their own motivations, of course, which is why they accuse Channel Four's Gary Gibbon, ITV's Robert Peston, and Sky News' Faisal Islam of bias when they too offer the opinion that Momentum-era Labour is useless, rather than just harping on about the BBC and Laura Kuenssberg, as The Canary directs them to do.

[1] Plus or minus the 3 point margin of error all pollsters apply

Tjm86

For me the quote of the week has to be the gentleman on the BBC news this morning discussing the latest round of the Scottish Referendum and where Labour is.  On the subject of Labour he said "At the moment Labour couldn't deliver a Pizza."

The Tories keep serving up easy bowls but Corbyn keeps tapping them to the feet of the bowler.  You don't need bias in the media (although it is unhelpful) with the level of incompetence.

GordonR

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/mar/18/nhs-eu-nurses-quit-record-numbers?CMP=share_btn_fb

Probably nothing to worry about.  I'm sure the Sovereignty Wizard will be able to conjure up thousands and thousands of qualified and experienced medical professionals to replace the ones already being lost.