Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly

Quote from: Spikes on 22 March, 2017, 04:50:13 PM
I was kinda hoping he'd fell off the Earth, as his profile of late had been pretty non-existent.

There is a word that perfectly sums up this piece of work, but I will not use it.

I always thought he looked like Sloth from The Goonies in a wig. What with that melty cheek-eye and everything.
But frankly, thats insulting to Sloth.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Spikes on 22 March, 2017, 04:50:13 PMThere is a word that perfectly sums up this piece of work, but I will not use it.

Best not.  That word is banned on the forum now.

The Legendary Shark

They banned the word "human"? Harsh...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Modern Panther

Disturbing news from central London.  Still, I'm sure that the simple act of politicians using social media to send their best wishes to those affected won't be turned into a bigoted, point-scoring shit storm by xenophobic fuckwits...

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 22 March, 2017, 06:59:09 PM
They banned the word "human"? Harsh...

I'm not sure if I've got the right end of the stick here, but i personally wouldn't excuse a long history of white supremacist views and inciting racial hatred in others by saying Griffin is 'only human'.

A human being he may be, but he's a vile example of one.  I think we both know what word Spikes alluded to.  I agree but I'm not going to get myself another ban for saying that word.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

Well, yes. I've never met the man but he is certainly portrayed as a right Canute.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JamesC

I'm not sure exactly what the purpose of yesterdays attack in London was but it seems to have been a victory for Britain First and like-minded racist nutters.
Some of the shit they're posting on social media in the wake of yesterday is mind-boggling.

Old Tankie

Pretty sure the purpose was to kill people.

Goaty

Quote from: JamesC on 23 March, 2017, 10:33:44 AM
I'm not sure exactly what the purpose of yesterdays attack in London was but it seems to have been a victory for Britain First and like-minded racist nutters.
Some of the shit they're posting on social media in the wake of yesterday is mind-boggling.

Now the attacker is British-born, now hope it shut them up.

Jim_Campbell

That's exactly the purpose: to provoke ground-level hatred, and harsh legal/judicial responses, which serves to marginalise the muslim community and lends credibility to the arguments of those who would radicalise British muslims.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JamesC

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 23 March, 2017, 10:58:17 AM

That's exactly the purpose: to provoke ground-level hatred, and harsh legal/judicial responses, which serves to marginalise the muslim community and lends credibility to the arguments of those who would radicalise British muslims.

Yes I think you're right and it's incredibly depressing to see that people fall for it. Especially on social media where people you thought were pretty much decent, loving people are swept along on the tide of racism.
Sadiq Khan is being held up as responsible by some people - as if he's some kind of enabler to Islamic terrorism. It's nasty stuff.
I was wondering what the ultimate plan was though and how far the attacker thought he'd get with a frontal assault on Westminster. I suppose we'll probably never really know.

Theblazeuk

Yeah Sadiq, enabling someone to get in a car with a knife. Such an act would have been impossible under.... err....

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 23 March, 2017, 10:27:19 AM
Well, yes. I've never met the man but he is certainly portrayed as a right Canute.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that unless the media has conspired throughout his whole life to invent everything he has ever said (including doctoring video and sound footage), then that portrayal is pretty accurate.

As for Sadiq Khan, it does seem like Prick Jnr's ridiculous and nasty tweet has backfired on him somewhat, judging by the general reaction around the world (leaving aside the appalling likes of Britain First).
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Old Tankie

If the idea was to divide communities, it won't work in my street, we have English, Arabs, Pakistanis, Indians, Chinese, Italians, Polish, Turkish, Rumanian, among others and we all rub along fine. The actions of a nutcase will not change that.

Tiplodocus

I was pleasantly surprised that the BBC 10pm news took about 20 minutes of saturation coverage before the word "Islamist" was used. So that appears to be some progress.

And in an even bigger surprise, Political Correspondent Laura Keunssberg managed to get through TWO entire reports without diverting from the real story to blame/attack Jeremy Corbyn.

Dammit! I posted in The Political Thread!
Be excellent to each other. And party on!