Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

On the whole I believe it will be bad - it doesn't matter to the rich, they can afford it.

For the rest of society we are fucked, not sure if it's going to be the environment that kicks us in the arse first, or automation. I don't see how the current system can be sustained.

We're just marking time until it's impossible even for the most hard-headed to ignore.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 29 March, 2017, 08:27:32 PM
After Brexit, 9 Reasons To Be Bullish On Great Britain.
I'm too disheartened to pull that piece apart, but it doesn't hold up to the slightest scrutiny and logic regarding the UK's situation.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 29 March, 2017, 10:01:37 PM
I'm too disheartened to pull that piece apart, but it doesn't hold up to the slightest scrutiny and logic regarding the UK's situation.

Jesus. I've just read that piece. What a delusional pile of crap. Let's just put the "collapsing exchange rate will remedy Britain's balance of trade deficit" at the the top of the list and dismiss the rest as ramblings of an idiot, shall we?
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Steve Green on 29 March, 2017, 09:56:47 PM
On the whole I believe it will be bad - it doesn't matter to the rich, they can afford it.

For the rest of society we are fucked, not sure if it's going to be the environment that kicks us in the arse first, or automation. I don't see how the current system can be sustained.

We're just marking time until it's impossible even for the most hard-headed to ignore.

It's a zero sum game – to support automation we must afford to buy things they are making otherwise it's kaput.

It'll be a permanent, slow decline in living standards for the majority as systems become more chaotic and unstable. The best way I've heard it described is imagine your life getting a little bit worse every year for the rest or your life.

Happy days!

Hawkmumbler

Did anyone catch the BBC 1 News panel, featuring one particular jingoistic muppet who, when faced with how to cope with brexit could produce nothing more than "History" and "British Empire".

My remote is currently lodged in my TV monitor.

TordelBack

I think I liked "an Anglo Saxon trading area" best of all the good bits in that ZeroHedge junior school  debating transcript (defeated).  It's what Storm Saxon fights for after all,  isn't it?

No, wait, the bit I liked best was the idea that what Leave voters actually voted for was MORE immigration, so that UK population would grow faster than that of continental Europe (despite it being afflicted with uncontrolled immigration itself) . But only the qualified type of immigrant, you know, so that Brits can do all the menial zero hour shit while young brown foreign people have all the good jobs. I'm not so sure that is what Storm Saxon fights for...

Also, I really hope English isn't the author's first language.

The Legendary Shark

Jesus wept.

Okay, let's all just give up and focus exclusively on all the bad worst predictions it's possible to make and completely extinguish even the most minute glimmer of hope. Let's act as if the entire rest of Europe the world has declared war on us and is just itching to crush us and pick at the bones. Let's act like we're the stupidest race on the planet and that there's absolutely no way we can go on. Let's just sigh and give in to the ruling wankers - who we trust to help us whilst simultaneously knowing that they intend to do no such thing - following them into whichever disaster they choose and obeying every ludicrous order they give us. Let's respect the disrespectful and follow the laws of the lawless. Let's offer our throats to the wolf with the red roses and then complain when we're torn to bits. Let's just give the fuck up and race as fast as we can for the bottom, complaining and moaning and pissing ourselves all the way down.

Let's all just lay down and die, shall we? That seems to be the mood here and it makes me fucking sick. We're human beings, for Christ's sake, capable of feats to take the breath away and make the soul soar higher than any Heaven and what are we doing?

Cowering and moaning.

Haven't you had enough of living on your fucking knees yet? Haven't you had enough of having other people screw you over and giving them permission to do so? Haven't you had enough fear in this beautiful world of bounty and wonder?

When will it be time to stand up?
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Your country voted for a pack of lies promoted by the vilest self-serving predatory fucks playing to your LCD xenophobia and ignorant notions of a fake history of vanished glory where in actual fact you murdered, robbed and raped your way around the world. The rest of the world knows it and despairs.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 29 March, 2017, 10:38:29 PM
When will it be time to stand up?

Your messiah complex is showing.

JOE SOAP

"It's gonna be great." – George Lucas

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: TordelBack on 29 March, 2017, 10:43:10 PM
Your country voted for a pack of lies promoted by the vilest self-serving predatory fucks playing to your LCD xenophobia and ignorant notions of a fake history of vanished glory where in actual fact you murdered, robbed and raped your way around the world. The rest of the world knows it and despairs.

This. Shout it again for the folks at the back!

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: TordelBack on 29 March, 2017, 10:43:10 PM

Yes, "we" did, and we were not the only ones. We did some unforgivable things. We must learn from them because to do otherwise would be true evil.

Jim, your victim complex is showing.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 29 March, 2017, 10:59:58 PM
Yes, "we" did, and we were not the only ones. We did some unforgivable things. We must learn from them because to do otherwise would be true evil.

Learn by wishing it was the 17th C all over again?  All peoples have horrors in their past, but ASPIRING to them is another matter, and being gulled by greedy bastards pushing that line is yet another. It's hard for an outsider to see how turtling up and blaming Outsiders is moving the human race forward.

The Legendary Shark

You really think that's what I'm advocating?
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 29 March, 2017, 10:59:58 PM
Jim, your victim complex is showing.

So, only pretending to ignore me, then. Thought so.