Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 29 March, 2017, 11:16:41 PM
You really think that's what I'm advocating?

Of course not, but you're asking why people are resolutely negative about the UK heading down a backwards path for no better reason than imagined sleights and blatant untruths and sense of chauvinism and  destiny denied. It's very hard to see what good can possibly come of it when the FANTASY AIMS are so shit, never mind the cold reality.

Everyone knows Brits are better than this, except, it seems,Brits.

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 29 March, 2017, 11:19:58 PM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 29 March, 2017, 10:59:58 PM
Jim, your victim complex is showing.

So, only pretending to ignore me, then. Thought so.

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 12 March, 2017, 05:35:07 PM
Good talk, I enjoyed that. How she felt when she left her church (Westboro) particularly resonated with how I felt when I left mine (Statism). Her four elements for useful debate are also very cool and level-headed. In fact, she's convinced me to take Jim off ignore.

... want to take that back, Jim?

Tordels, it's not the path, it's how we walk it. We can take the path the lunatic 0.1% tell us to take and walk it as they instruct or we can find the better ways ourselves. I'm all for ignoring them when they're wrong and finding the better ways. We don't need these idiots to tell us what's good or bad for us, and that doesn't just apply to the people in this country.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 29 March, 2017, 11:40:39 PM
We can take the path the lunatic 0.1% tell us to take and walk it as they instruct or we can find the better ways ourselves. I'm all for ignoring them when they're wrong and finding the better ways. We don't need these idiots to tell us what's good or bad for us, and that doesn't just apply to the people in this country.

Are you still talking about brexit? That path was chosen by a grat deal more than 0.1%, lunatic or otherwise. How that path is navigated however...I'll grant you that.

And when you say this country, you really mean England don't you? The prime minister has shown little regard for Northern Ireland. She didn't bother to meet with our government before triggering Article 50.

Fair enough, we don't have a government at the minute, and ye want to know something Shark? Not having a government isn't a good thing.
You may quote me on that.

The Legendary Shark

The 0.1% put the choice before us, this or that, one thing or the other. No shades, no nuance, no other options. In or out. That's not a choice, it's a recipe for disaster, a formula for division. And it worked beautifully - it's kept us divided and at one another's throats, too busy accusing each other and arguing to even think about better, freer, more productive options. Freedom of choice is not freedom.

And once again, don't confuse organisation with government. Not having organisation is bad, not having a government - well, that's not so bad, especially when it's made up of the most egregious elements of society. You want to give your government the power to coerce, order, punish and regulate? Fine - give it those powers over artificial "people," corporations and the like, not individual human beings. So long as a human being is causing loss, harm or damage to nobody then what the f*ck right does anyone, or any thing, have to interfere? What right does anyone have, for example, to cause Indigo Prime and his family such misery? If it was his neighbours treating him in this way, or his family, or some random bunch of strangers, we'd all be up in arms but, because it's something called "government," we all shrug and say it's wrong but okay. And that's true of every stupid, callous or greedy thing any government does - it's wrong but okay. Well, it can't be both, can it? Governments need only the same rights and powers as the rest of us. Period.

So yeah, you want a government to organise nationwide projects and services? Well that's all fine and dandy and even I'll sign on for that - but the instant it forces one person to act against their own will or conscience, I'm out.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Goaty

Sorry I got enough, you said many times about governments that and it for last few years, cos if I recall cos you kicked out of the place and homeless? What is to solve all the shit or you want the world to burning?

The Legendary Shark

Yeah, I stood up and got kicked down. I don't think that's what governments are for, to kick down the people they claim to serve, do you? And no, I don't want to see the world burn, and I don't think you do either. You want to make a world burn, you allow governments to bomb whichever countries they please for whatever excuses they present and help them by paying for the bombs.

By standing up I lost my home, my family, my community, my reputation and my possessions - but I kept my self-respect and tamed my black dog (for the most part). Maybe I'm a bad person for doing so, that's not for me to decide, but I don't think so. But I'm not bowing to these f*ckers any more - I'll die first. I don't take any benefits or hand-outs from them, because that all comes from taxes and taxation is theft. I don't want to live off money stolen off you for me by state thugs and say, with a shrug, "well, that's wrong but it's okay." I'll beg first, which at least gives the person I'm begging from the option to refuse or accept as they decide for themselves. As long as I'm capable of working, that's what I'll do to earn my food and shelter. When I'm too old to work, I'll beg or bin-dive, but I absolutely will not turn to those criminals for help.

Call me mad if you want. Mad, loopy, insane, stupid, daft. Maybe I am but, at least, I don't bow to a bunch of people I disagree with and despise just because they might throw me a few crumbs when the going gets tough - crumbs stolen from your plate. Nor am I trying to change the world, I have neither the power nor the right to even try, the only world I have the right or power to change is my own - and that's all I want or need. All those respectable politicians and civil servants and police and council workers, all those fat cats on corporate welfare and subsidies and tariffs are living off money stolen from you, whether you like it or not, but me? I'm not costing you a penny - and I'm entertaining to boot! :D
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: TordelBack on 29 March, 2017, 10:43:10 PM
Your country voted for a pack of lies promoted by the vilest self-serving predatory fucks playing to your LCD xenophobia and ignorant notions of a fake history of vanished glory where in actual fact you murdered, robbed and raped your way around the world. The rest of the world knows it and despairs.

Well, quite.  And even if you do think it was a jolly splendid adventure for an empire to establish itself by violently helping itself to every bit of land it could find and ruthlessly exploiting the natives, there is no empire any more.  The way things are going, you'll be lucky to have a UK in a few years.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 29 March, 2017, 11:40:39 PM

So, only pretending to ignore me, then. Thought so.

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 12 March, 2017, 05:35:07 PM
Good talk, I enjoyed that. How she felt when she left her church (Westboro) particularly resonated with how I felt when I left mine (Statism). Her four elements for useful debate are also very cool and level-headed. In fact, she's convinced me to take Jim off ignore.

... want to take that back, Jim?

[/quote]

Of course. I don't religiously read everything you post, so I missed that. My apologies.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 30 March, 2017, 07:55:16 AM
Quote from: TordelBack on 29 March, 2017, 10:43:10 PM
Your country voted for a pack of lies promoted by the vilest self-serving predatory fucks playing to your LCD xenophobia and ignorant notions of a fake history of vanished glory where in actual fact you murdered, robbed and raped your way around the world. The rest of the world knows it and despairs.

Well, quite.  And even if you do think it was a jolly splendid adventure for an empire to establish itself by violently helping itself to every bit of land it could find and ruthlessly exploiting the natives, there is no empire any more.  The way things are going, you'll be lucky to have a UK in a few years.

To temper my intemperate rant just a bit, what bothers me most about the misguided nostalgia and small-mindedness that fuels Brexit is that Britain IS great: in humour, literature and theatre, TV and radio, relaxed multiculturalism, genuine heritage, music and comics, communal efforts, easy secularism and open friendliness it has few if any peers: and the heroic efforts of its people in WWII and afterwards will always be a source of awe.

Why segments of the population seem to favour, instead of these real and current achievements, an imagined past where Britannia ruled the waves, and women, wops and darkies knew their place I simply don't understand.  You've been sold a crock of shit by people who alone stand to profit from your misery.

Theblazeuk

Indeed Tordels. The things that made me proud about Britain are being crushed by those who want to return Britain to the 40s.

The Legendary Shark

As a country I don't think we're all that special. We've had fine hours and dark nights just like any other. The majority of our people are decent enough with a few bad apples - just like everywhere else on the planet. I love this country, and the people in it, because it's where and with whom I was born and raised. People the world over feel the same way about their countries too. I don't love it blindly, though, there are bits I despise and wish would change. I can't change those bits, though - all I can do is refuse to go along with them.

Whether we're in or out or part-time members of the EU makes no difference to me, I'll still love my country and the people in it, still respect the French for feeling the same way about France and the Belgians for feeling the same way about Belgium. To me, it's the whole idea that countries can't get along and trade without some bureaucratic monstrosity sticking its oar in and demanding its cut that's the biggest crock of shit of all. I don't need the EU, or anyone else for that matter, to tell me that the average German is a perfectly decent human being.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

sheridan

Quote from: TordelBack on 29 March, 2017, 10:34:43 PM
But only the qualified type of immigrant, you know, so that Brits can do all the menial zero hour shit while young brown foreign people have all the good jobs.

Qualified immigrants, like the 40 to 60% of European doctors who are considering leaving the UK due to increases in racism and general feelings of being less welcome...

sheridan

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 29 March, 2017, 05:57:41 PM
Quote from: Goaty on 29 March, 2017, 05:51:52 PM
Wish I never reading Daily Mail Online, too many nasty articles.
The scourge of the internet. Best left alne.

I use Tea and Kittens for Chrome and Firefox to avoid unwittingly handing money to the Daily Hate.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: sheridan on 30 March, 2017, 01:15:07 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 29 March, 2017, 10:34:43 PM
But only the qualified type of immigrant, you know, so that Brits can do all the menial zero hour shit while young brown foreign people have all the good jobs.

Qualified immigrants, like the 40 to 60% of European doctors who are considering leaving the UK due to increases in racism and general feelings of being less welcome...

"I-me-grants commin' over 'ere, stealing OUR jobs!"

Yes Tina Wedgewoth with one BTEC in PE, Dr. Fazila Talati with 2 PhD's is taking YOUR job as a neurosurgeon!