Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goaty

All those money waste to Elections should be to nursing or social care. Political today are all fucking joke.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

The Jokes on Teresa May, the Tories don't stand a chance in my constituency. North Belfast will either be won by DUP Hard Right Christian Fundamentalists, or Sinn Fein ex-IRA Abstentionists.

In other news, I was shopping in my local supermarket and they still had loads of Easter Eggs up, all reduced to clear. Normally they pack them all away to be sold the following year, but these must've reached the end of their shelf life. Every single one was from Nestle. Full Shelves of Nestle Easter Eggs that nobody wanted to buy. It gave me an odd feeling. I think it was community pride?
You may quote me on that.

Modern Panther

QuoteAll those money waste to Elections should be to nursing or social care.

"I saw that just at this point, all pur energies should be focused on our negotiations with the European Union honour future relationship".

The Right Honourable Theresa May, in March 2017 shortly after the Scottish parliament voted to hold a referendum in 2018.  Just before it came to light that 30 conservative MPs are under investigation for fraud and, if convicted, would be prevented from holding office. 

Just as the Brexit vote was the by product of a Tory civil war, this general election is a product of that party desperately holding onto power despite its members being criminals.

Spikes

Quote from: Modern Panther on 19 April, 2017, 05:05:19 PM
Just as the Brexit vote was the by product of a Tory civil war, this general election is a product of that party desperately holding onto power despite its members being criminals.

^ This. A million times this.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Mister Pops on 19 April, 2017, 04:39:40 PM
The Jokes on Teresa May, the Tories don't stand a chance in my constituency. North Belfast will either be won by DUP Hard Right Christian Fundamentalists, or Sinn Fein ex-IRA Abstentionists.

As far as I'm aware, the DUP exist as a rubber-stamp for Conservative policy, so it still matters who wins over here.

All the same, it is pretty bonkers to see the same people who've been solidly bitching for two years that they're stuck with the Tories now crying into their pillows at the prospect of a GE.

Leigh S

Over on fb I see an old school acquantance relishing the chance to put Labour into the ground once and for all.  Now, putting aside why anyone would want to live in a one party state of any stripe, what infuriated me most was her saying how her family were on benefits but they were hard working benefitistas not like these modern scroungers who don't deserve support like what her family did..... :thumbsdown:

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Leigh S on 19 April, 2017, 06:10:28 PMwhat infuriated me most was her saying how her family were on benefits but they were hard working benefitistas not like these modern scroungers who don't deserve support like what her family did
Same as ever. Trump supporters were all ranting about benefits claimants until they realised with a shock THEIR benefits would also be removed. (The nadir being dolts ranting about Obamacare and not realising that was a name for the Affordable Care Act. One of the big threads about that was faked, but plenty were not.) And, yeah, the 'kick away the ladder' mentality is common. I have that around here, with my MP – a second-generation immigrant – being broadly anti-immigration and not really giving a shit about the mess millions of EEA citizens are now in.

von Boom

Tony Angelino

Quote from: Leigh S on 19 April, 2017, 07:05:36 PM
http://www.prruk.org/why-v-for-vendatta-author-alan-moore-says-you-should-support-jeremy-corbyn/

This just made me realise that Alan Moore had not yet disowned V for Vendetta.

I would read the article fully though if the title had been:

Alan Moore
Author D.R. & Quinch.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Professor Bear on 19 April, 2017, 05:51:26 PM
Quote from: Mister Pops on 19 April, 2017, 04:39:40 PM

As far as I'm aware, the DUP exist as a rubber-stamp for Conservative policy...

Well, yes, unless it goes against their religion.
You may quote me on that.

Supreme Pizza Of The DPRK

This must be the most depressing thread on the boards! Even more so that the R.I.Ps one.

Anyway this t-shirt gave me a smile and since this is the political thread it seems relevant to share it here

Theblazeuk

So, Tim Farron... doubling down there eh.

Professor Bear

To be fair, it was obvious he didn't think gays were sinners - they are, after all, turned gay by chemicals.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 20 April, 2017, 05:19:27 PM
So, Tim Farron... doubling down there eh.
In what sense? In the Commons, he was asked outright whether he thought being gay was a sin, and stated: "I do not". And his voting record and campaigning on LGBT+ has for the most part been very strong. If his own personal beliefs might be different, I couldn't give a fig about that if his political actions are for the best.