Main Menu

2000AD Original Art Thread

Started by J3D1, 16 May, 2010, 08:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fungus

First original art for me (sketches excluded), nabbed at the 40th. You get tempted, you see.
Mike Dowling such a top artist :-)

It wasn't first choice! After commenting that the quality of every available page makes deciding very difficult, I hid my (slight) favourite (and said so) then located the ATM. Soon after, I find it's been snapped up. Ouch :-(

If the owner is listening, then:
a) curse your hide!
b) well done, excellent taste :-)

I don't know if it's habit-forming, but I do know it's damn lovely.

Spikes

Quote from: Fungus on 13 February, 2017, 01:34:11 PM
I don't know if it's habit-forming.....

It isn't. Not one little bit.  ;)

A cracking page, btw.

And Judge Dredd by Jesus Redondo. He brought a folder of pre-drawn pieces to the 40th, and I just had to buy one. Wasn't an easy thing to do, not least because each piece was amazing. Those Nemesis pieces...

But I have a Nemesis commission already from him, so It made sense to go for something different.
And more than happy to add this to my collection.

Colin YNWA

Fantastic Mike Dowling page there Fungus. I was so close to getting one of those (or one of the fantastic Unfollow pages he  had on offer.). Had a fantastic chat with him while looking through his art and was pondering which way to go choice wise and decided to come back to it and see which one's pulled me back (often find if I leave stuff I'll soon discover what I want cos it'll keep popping back into my head). Anyway was pottering round and while looking at some Dom Readon page it became obvious to me I wanted a Ichabod page. Had a couple of signatures to get and with mind made up was going to return. The last signature of the day however led to a page I just assumed someone would have snapped up an age ago and so went the last of my spending money (I'll pop that page on later tonight with any luck).

But one day I will make good to Mike Dowling and buy one of his pages. They are so good! Great choice Fungus that was one I had in mind to get!

Fungus

Cheers Colin.
I think I spent half my journey home thinking about those incredible Fegredos...
so busy was Duncan I think I ended up boring Sean Phillips while gushing about DF's art.
But his too - I'm not an animal...

The amount of great art in that room was just silly.

Geoff

Got a nice sketch from the charming Lee Carter and two Anderson pages by Michael Dowling, which may or may not, be attached below...always had trouble with uploading here...

Colin YNWA

HA! That Anderson city scape was another of the pages I was considering buying off Mike Dowling at one point.When chatting to him he was discussing how he tried to get a sense of the different design periods of the city coming through you can see it was you explore that page. He also made the excellent point that you never see the topography of the city, which given its scope would be considerable and he's put that to rights quite superbly there with the hills dropping off to the sea.

Fantastic purchase Geoff!

Geoff

Geoff

Thanks Colin, yeah, love that cityscape.  I remember even when I was reading that story I was thinking.. I'd love the original art for that and thought of getting in touch with Michael Dowling...so I was amazed when it was just there. 

So talented and a lovely bloke too!   

Colin YNWA

Got some absolutely dream come true stuff at the 40th bash. First up since I suspect I'll never own an original piece from Nemesis Book 2 this sketch is by far the best thing I could hope to get.

Was so tempted by another piece he had with Nemesis vs one of his glorious spiders, but how could I resist Nemesis vs Torquemada. Just so happy to have this piece by one of 2000ad's most underrated masters.

Link Prime

And it begins...

Cracking pieces so far lads, in particular that Redondo Nemesis.

I bought a couple of pages on Saturday, my favorite being a Jaegir by Simon Coleby, but was limited to what I could purchase due to transport (over-sized or artwork not capable of being rolled was out of the question, meaning I had to pass up an astonishing David Roach piece).

By the way- Colin, Spikes, Ming, Hippy- can't believe I didn't get a chance to chat with ye on Saturday, we were probably centimeters apart at the bar...

Bolt-01

That settles it- When Rebellion do this again we need to organise an actual message board meet in the bar.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Link Prime on 14 February, 2017, 10:19:53 AM

By the way- Colin, Spikes, Ming, Hippy- can't believe I didn't get a chance to chat with ye on Saturday, we were probably centimeters apart at the bar...

Yeah - its also possible we chatted as I chatted to a lot of people who I have no idea who they were. Would really have loved to have caught you properly though Prime Link. Next time, next time.

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 14 February, 2017, 10:29:55 AM
That settles it- When Rebellion do this again we need to organise an actual message board meet in the bar.

Yeah defo this!

Anyway to matters art and next up a truly special piece. I really love my Simon Fraser Dante piece. Its down thread somewhere and feature Lulu's last appearance, leaving our man shattered by a kiss. I adore it.The only thing it lacks was a sense of that Dante Swashbuckling attitude. So this weekend I bought this to make up for it...

Now if that's not swash being well and truly buckled I don't know what is!

Hawkmumbler

One of the best Dante pages there, Colin, and thats saying something!

Dunk!

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 14 February, 2017, 07:36:01 PM
I really love my Simon Fraser Dante piece.
You had a massive grin on your face when you proudly showed me that page.

Good buy. Good to see ya too.

Dunk!
"Trust we"

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Dunk! on 14 February, 2017, 09:05:41 PM

Good buy. Good to see ya too.

Dunk!

Always a delight to see you sir.