Main Menu

UFOs

Started by Aaron A Aardvark, 07 August, 2010, 10:32:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron A Aardvark

Hey! I just saw some UFOs and I don't even believe in them.

There were three red lights staying still, then a bigger one moved up to them and then away again. Defo not planets or satellites or planes. When I went to get my camera there was only one left and it didn't photograph very well.

I'm buggered if I can think of a rational explanation.

Anyway, just of to be gang-probed.

House of Usher

Quote from: Aaron A Aardvark on 07 August, 2010, 10:32:51 PM
Defo not planets or satellites or planes.

Helicopters then.

I read on MSN the other day that Churchill had reports of a Second World War UFO sighting suppressed. He apparently took its morale implications quite seriously. There's a potential Vector Thirteen Past Imperfect story there.

A few typically baffling readers' comments on the article, like we'll never know for sure that there aren't aliens visiting our planet until they confirm it by producing one on live TV.

Interestingly, RAF jets were scrambled 200 times a year to investigate UFOs during the Cold War, but sightings virtually stopped after the Soviet Union fell apart. Evidently we were a bit more worried about hostile foreign powers invading our airspace back then. I throw down the gauntlet to conspiracy theorists to come up with a more complicated and less plausible explanation.

;)
STRIKE !!!

flip-r mk2

Thought I finally seen one after staying in UFO central(Bonnybridge) for 11 years,turns out there is a Chinese Resturant in the neighbouring village Denny releasing Lanterns into the sky.

filip
It's all right, that's in every contract.
That's what they call a sanity clause.
You can't fool me, there ain't no sanity clause.

http://flip-r.deviantart.com/

http://forflipssake.blogspot.com

http://weeklythemedartblog.blogspot.com/

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana

Trout

You're a nutter. Come out of the house with your hands up.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: flip-r mk2 on 07 August, 2010, 11:04:25 PM
Thought I finally seen one after staying in UFO central(Bonnybridge) for 11 years,turns out there is a Chinese Resturant in the neighbouring village Denny releasing Lanterns into the sky.

filip

I was tricked by chinese Lanterns once when i was convinced they were UFOs.

I am not even into believing in UFOs as they are not my area of interest but there have been instances where i cannot explain what i was seeing satisfactorily.So yes i have seen UFOs.

Quote from: House of Usher on 07 August, 2010, 10:55:25 PM

A few typically baffling readers' comments on the article, like we'll never know for sure that there aren't aliens visiting our planet until they confirm it by producing one on live TV.

;)

I am going to need a lot more convincing that something is genuine than if it is just shown on live TV and if it was some kind of massive spectacle that was being televised and claimed as being aliens i would need convincing that what i was looking at wasnt some kind of holographic image or something like that.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Emperor

I saw dozens of Chinese lanterns go overhead on New Years Eve - I was very impressed at the spectacle and could see that, out of context, they'd make very convincing UFOs.

Quote from: Aaron A Aardvark on 07 August, 2010, 10:32:51 PM
Hey! I just saw some UFOs and I don't even believe in them.

There were three red lights staying still, then a bigger one moved up to them and then away again. Defo not planets or satellites or planes. When I went to get my camera there was only one left and it didn't photograph very well.

I'm buggered if I can think of a rational explanation.

Still doesn't mean there wasn't one though and you'd need a lot more evidence to jump from an object in the sky you can't identify to it being an alien spaceship.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Jim_Campbell

Ball lightning. And quite possibly spike planes, which certainly get my vote for the thing a Scandinavian radar station clocked coming out of Soviet airspace at Mach 13 a few years back.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Emperor

There are probably two generations of UAV out there and more experimental aircraft than you can shake a stick at.

www.popsci.com/military-aviation-space/article/2006-10/top-secret-warplanes-area-51
http://science.howstuffworks.com/space/aliens-ufos/area-515.htm
www.area51zone.com/aircraft/summary.shtml#BM_p11

Granted that most UFOs are misidentifications but mixed in there are secret military projects, which is why military intelligence have been involved with flaying saucer spotters since the early days.

Of course, there may be alien spaceships mixed in there, but random lights in the sky aren't really enough to be going on with. But if anyone gets their hands on metal from a UFO I can get it tested, so don't be shy about chipping a bit off if you see one of those intergalactic perverts has landed nearby.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Aaron A Aardvark

Behold! Our new alien overlords!

They were a LOT more impressive in real life.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Don't worry. It's merely the Vogan Constructer fleet come to demolish the Earth to make way for an Interstellar by pass. :D
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

mogzilla

seen a few since moving to leyland ,best one was at elaines car boot a while back .A silver ball hanging in the sky near the moron church looked at it through some binoculars but weirdly couldnt see it except with the naked eye!

i'm in the camp as not to dismiss anything, after all ,big f'in galaxy,let alone universe so why not?

vzzbux

TBH if I was an advanced alien race I wouldn't bother visiting this overpopulated dying mud ball.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

House of Usher

The reason I cannot keep an open mind about beings from outer space visiting our planet is that aliens would be limited by the same physical constraints we face ourselves regarding space travel: a vast interstellar gulf of space to cross, the improbability of achieving faster than light travel, the vast amounts of energy needed to sustain space flight at any kind of a worthwhile speed, and the sheer volume of supplies a vehicle would have to carry to sustain a crew for travel over the long periods of time necessary to travel from one star to another.

Enthusiasts of the implausible would say that you only need to imagine aliens that have invented a faster-than-light drive or some means of creating and utilising worm-holes, and a way of producing unlimited energy for free, who don't eat, and who have a vastly greater lifespan than our own. That's four major 'ifs' right there.

One shortcut is to just say the aliens are magic in some way that means they don't need to have invented anything to get them about. They might be giant space whales that can 'see' worm holes and fly through them, or they might be super-evolved beings made of pure energy who no longer have need of physical bodies, a bit like angels, for whom time and distance mean nothing.

Then you just have to solve questions like why they should be so interested in our world that they keep coming back and why they should deliberately keep the public unaware of their existence.
STRIKE !!!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: House of Usher on 08 August, 2010, 01:41:39 PM
Then you just have to solve questions like why they should be so interested in our world that they keep coming back and why they should deliberately keep the public unaware of their existence.

Yeah, this is basically my beef with all UFO conspiracy theories. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that extraterrestrial life exists -- this is simple maths. If it does, some of it must be intelligent, although not necessarily in a way we would immediately recognize.

However, if the aliens are capable of interstellar travel then there is simply no way we would ever know about them, unless they explicitly wished us to do so. If they wished us to do so, then I can't believe that they'd be fucking about appearing on blurry amateur video footage when they could park on the White House lawn and there's be fuck all anyone could do about it.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Dandontdare

I remember Arthur C Clarke was asked about UFOs once and he said if you'd seen as many as him, you no longer assumed they were aliens spacehips, and if you'd never seen one, you just weren't looking up enough!