Main Menu

V.C.'s - 'Mail Call'

Started by Colin YNWA, 23 August, 2010, 09:10:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

I've absolutely been loving the revived V.C.s up to this last story as I've endless whittered on about in this area. Its the perfect example of how to return to a strip with a new creative team and fire it up again. Its been a delight to see Anthony Williams make the strip his own and its a strip that seems perfectly suited to Dan Abnett. Its light years ahead of the original.

Then it ended. Ending strips is very hard and war strips even more so possibly. Really in a war strip what opinions do you have? And then peace broke out. We won! We lost! I'm dead. Is that about it really. Ok there can be variations on a theme I guess but the opinions are rather limited by the setting (watch now as people smarter than me flood the thread with a gazillion better options!). V.C.s kinda suffers from this and an attempt to keep the thrill open to the option of a return if it can. So we kinda get a half hearted 'and peace broken out (well probably, possibly)'. It liked the conviction and gritty honestly the story up to this point and the characters deserved. Its a real shame.

It was still an enjoyable read don't get me wrong but it didn't seem as though anybody quite knew what to do. This does beg the question why did it end? was it not well recieved? Did the creative team just feel there was nowhere else to go with it? Was this the ending planned all along, to me this feels very unlikely? Or did Tharg just pull the plug? Any insights would be very welcome.

Still rather than focus on the negative anymore, this series has been an absolute delight and since and since its been kinda left open and Dan and Anthony are still working together on Sinister Dexter, maybe you know they could... you know... oh go on...

Half mast.