Main Menu

Started by DavidXBrunt, 11 November, 2002, 11:39:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

damnandblast

"Wasn't there something similar in one of Dave Stone's Dredd novels - a 'skyhook' or some such thing?"

Yep. I can't remember exactly but there was a grand finale on the skyhook... Armitage, wasn't it? Deathmasques?

Nigel

pauljholden

Maybe I'm being a dunce, but if it was a large tether holding a satellite to the earth, wouldn't the satellite be using centurfugal force to keep some sort of gravity? so if you were to fall into the thing you'd actually find yourself heading towards the top of the station rather than down towards the earth?

This opinion is all based on highly scientific experimentation carried out with a bucket of water when I was 7.

- pj

damnandblast

"...wouldn't the satellite be using centrifugal force to keep some sort of gravity?"

As I understand it, no. The idea is that the center of mass of the cable is in geostationary orbit, with it's top end counter-balanced by your space station/alien mincing machine. I guess that means that there would be no gravity on the station.

http://science.msfc.nasa.gov/headlines/y2000/ast07sep_1.htm

Nigel

Oddboy

I think this is meant to be a regular orbiting space station/alien mincing machine.  It happens to be teathered to the Earth by a hi-tec rope for sending stuff like electricity/oxygen etc to the satellite.  Therefore it isn't solid, but hollow.

Now THAT was my own make it up as you go along science, so it isn't right.
Better set your phaser to stun.

Slippery PD

Here's my take on the prog, its a little late as Ive just spent 6 days in Florida, yes thats 6 days in Florida where the temperature was a cool 88':-)

Cover - Liked this cover and yes it is kinda Harry Potter-ish.  But hey, isnt Harry Potter, kinda Luke Kirby-ish????  Its all swings and roundabouts.  If you ask me.

Dredd - This was OK.  Liked the genetic infantrymen tie in, that was reminiscent of the old tie in as many 2000ad stories onto the one timeline......   I am beginning to feel that Wagner s leading us somewhere with all these stories.  Im just not sure where.  As usual it should be an enjoyable ride.

Red Seas - We seem to be split down the middle on this story.  Some love, some hate.  I personally love it more than I hate it.  But Im not quite sure why.  See Asylum comments......  Its a bit different for 2000ad but this is why I love this anthology format that we have.

Past Imperfect - The rhyming peed me off a bit.  It just didnt work IMHO, I didnt really like the art either.  So this was a little disapointing, considering how much Ive liked Si's recent output.

Asylum - Another one that has split the board members straight down the middle.  I can see why people like it, but something about it doesnt quite fit.  Its been very solid although the villains have been a bit stereotypical and the main character a little wooden.  Its major plus however, is Boo Cook art, almost perfect.

SinDex - I thought they might work in space.  They dont.  Please.  Bye Bye.  

- Yer tanned Slippo    

opaque

Dredd:
I've been wondering when we were going to see the type of the Judge Squad who attack the Sino outpost some time ago (forget the title). You have to think that there must be some form of army in MC1 after all theres only x no of judges for 200?+ million people.
I'm still waiting for the storyline that ties up the, what was it? Mongolia/Tibet zone storylines that came about in the transporter and Big Mother stories. I hope that doesn't get forgotten. I do like to see other parts of our world, especially after Judgement Day.

Red Seas:
Not bad but I wouldn't really consider it 2000ad material, maybe more Megazine or neither preferably. Nice art though.

Asylum:
Doesn't cutting an eyeball out cause some pain? Some screaming? Or maybe he's an alien that isn't suspectable to such pain??

Sin and Dex:
They lost it ages ago and the art isn't doing them any favours. Give them a nice long break and only use sparingly in the future, if at all.

I really only skimmed over Red Seas and Sin and Sex first time round as they didn't grab me the way the others did. Especially the Dredd story.

Tiplodocus

So it isn't pub science after all - learn something new every day.

Oh, and I liked the way that GIs turned up in DREDD without the usual hoo-haa "Oh, they've all gone wrong".  They did exactly what they were meant to but were underestimated by the Council Judges - class stuff.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Matt

This was one of the most enjoyable Dredds I've read this year. I loved the way it showed a new side to Justice Department and had Dredd acting in his role of senior Judge for once, instead of just kicking ass. The GI Judges were cool, and they left me with the feeling that that won't be the last time we'll be seeing Kreig and company. What was with the smile in the last panel? Do you reckon Kreig was pleased to have gotten away with the massacre? Or was it a knowing smile? Once again Wagner is keeping us on the edge of our seats in anticipation of future developments. It's no wonder that the combination of Wagner & Dredd makes for the greatest comic strip in the world.

W. R. Logan

>Dredd: I'm intrigued, are they sort of setting up the precursor for the Rogue Trooper scenario?  All out war on Earth, carried on onto space?  If so I'd be mildly disappointed, I don't think all the stories have to link together.  Or maybe I'm barking up the wrong cucumber again... Genetic Infantry, though.  Surely more than just a coincidink.  

Don't think John Wagner has ever been a great fan of all 2000AD stories being linked so wouldn't think the genetically modified troopers in Dredd would be any precursor to Rogue.
After all the losses the Justice department have taken over the years clones as the cities cannon fodder for their fighting units seems to be a logical step, particularly if those forces are used for fighting in inhospitable places.

La Placa Rifa,
W. R. Logan.

Mk13

>What was with the smile in the last panel? Do you reckon Kreig was pleased to have gotten away with the massacre? Or was it a knowing smile?

My take on it was that he was actually looking forward to serving on the godforsken outpost Dredd had despatched him to, because it was gennetically programmed into him to accept any command, no matter how onerous, as an honour.

Oddboy

That's what I took it to be - Giving the action-happy psycho active service in a tough environment instead of the imprisonment/execution/dismissal he might have perhaps faced is from his point of view a reward. He's probably thinking he's got one over the judges judging him.

gavinhanly

Finally put up this week's review and synopsis on www.2000adreview.co.uk.

Spoilers ahoy, of course.

And there's a new interview with Simon Davis on the site too...

Link: http://www.2000adreview.co.uk/index.shtml" target="_blank">2000AD Review

Oddboy

Gavin,
I'm firmly hooked on your site now... the perfectly opposite opinions you & Logan have makes the review a very entertaining read.

Keep up the good work!

Shakara

Oh, well, great stuff there. Don't forget about the entertaining original holder of the name! (Not meaning to be bitchy) Plus this is my 100th issue. Which is nice.

Link: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/2000adreview" target="_blank">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/2000adreview

Puck

Here's my ?0.02:

Cover:
Very nice art but for a cover it's just a bit too brown and dull in colour.

Dredd:
Now I missed out on the whole Sin City/GI Judges thing so I suppose this wasn't as good for me as it could have been had I known what it was all about. Still though it was a good once-off. Nice contrast between Dredd and the Genetics, both upset about Sin City (Dredd perhaps even more) but Dredd can control himself and the law means everything to him, The Genetics on the other hand don't have the same blind respect for the law as Dredd.

The Red Seas:
First off: I love the art on this strip!  This looks to be really taking off now. There should be a nice chase soon and hopefully a few good fights. Not much action this week but the weirdness of the whole thing made up for that. Can't wait for next part.

Asylum:
Again the art is excellent on this strip too.
Belly went nuts! Excellent! Nice to see the aliens kicking some ass. Good cliffhanger ending too. I agree it should be given a second series.

Past Imperfect:
Haha! :) Excellent punch line! The Past Imperfects really have an opportunity to be 2000 AD's weird and quirky strip, as well as making the reader think "What if?". Si's really done a good job of the weird and quirky bit with this one. Great stuff!

Sinister Dexter:
My favourite art of all! This story is really shaping up to be one of Sinister Dexter's best. Gets a few chuckles out of me every week. Great characters and the off-world element allows for some quirky settings.

Only gripe about this Prog (and a very small one at that) is the lack of an input page. I don't know it just seems to complete the Prog for me. Other than that this Prog was excellent. 2000 AD is really having a good run lately!