Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 11 February, 2017, 06:52:51 AM
John Wick Chapter 2 ... I forget who got greenlit to direct the Button Man movie, I say get this guy!

I was listening to Keanu Reeves plug this film, yesterday, and he described how one plot point involves another hitman having his marker. It struck me that if a Button Man film showed up now* it would be perceived as a John Wick rip off.

Then again, film folks care more about finances than originality. John Wick 2 seems like it's going to pay for lots of hair transplants and infinity pools, and Milla shooting zombies hasn't stopped Kate kicking vampires.

* Nicolas Winding Refn's Button Man film is dead and JJ Abrams doesn't seem in any hurry to make a Button Man TV show.

Steve Green

After watching the growing Rebellion video, that's my main concern with 2000 AD IP.

You can hold out until you get a contract you want, but that's not going to stop other people chipping away at ideas and concepts (either by intention or by accident) that make the stories worth licensing.

Tiplodocus

The use of the term "marker" in John Wick Chapter 2 is nothing like it is used in Button Man.

Anyway, it's very,very good. The only bum note being [spoiler]the artfully rendered suicide. I feel that  particular act should never be shown in that fashion.[/spoiler]
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Keef Monkey

Star Trek: Beyond - I really enjoyed the first two (although I know Into Darkness is a bit frowned upon - not by me though) and this was another fun sci-fi action adventure film. Had a really good time, even if it didn't thrill me quite as much as the first two.

Village of The Damned (the Carpenter remake) - We've been revisiting John Carpenter stuff lately and it turns out this is one of I think only two of his films that I've never actually seen (Elvis The Movie is the other). Knowing nothing about it other than that it's not very well regarded by Carpenter himself, I set my expectations low and wound up enjoying it. It's not The Thing, and it's not particularly scary, but I liked how old fashioned it all felt, and it's not really like anything else he's made which is pretty cool.

The direction does feel a bit workmanlike, but wikipedia tells me he made it as a contractual obligation within months of In The Mouth of Madness, which is a film full of imagination and energy so it could be he was just a bit too knackered to pour enough mojo into this one to make it something special.

Regardless, it was an enjoyable old-school Sunday night sci-fi spooker.

TordelBack

Burke and Hare: throroughly enjoyable nonsense, makes me wish we saw more of Andy Serkis in front of the camera without his blue gimp suit. Accents run the full range from perfectly acceptable (Serkis) through fairly ghastly (Pegg) to quite agonising (Fisher), but it's a really great cast having loads of fun throughout (Ronnie Corbett was a nice surprise). With a good bit more gore and a little more committment to the comedy anchronisms it could have been a classic.

Also watched two of my all-time faves: Jaws on Blu-Ray is every bit as good as it has been in every other format, surely one of the most rewatchable movies ever made; How to Tame Your Dragon 2 - the only thing about this movie that even vaguely disappoints is that the release of the third one has apparently been pushed back to 2019: it really is one of the greatest fantasy films I've ever seen, and Hiccup one of the greatest movie heroes of all,  judgements that I'm more convinced of ever time I watch it.

I, Cosh

My girlfriend requested we watch "something silly" and 22 Jump Street seemed to fit the bill.

Neither of us had seen the first one or the old TV series so some of the meta jokes about everything being exactly the same as last time were lost. Otherwise, it managed to fill the brief fairly well: the leads are genially amusing, there are a few good absurd laughs, Ice Cube steals every scene he's in and the multiple, post-credits teaser spoof part was very daft indeed.

We never really die.

Smith

I got to say,the first movie was a bit better.

Steve Green

John Wick - belatedly - was OK, felt like an unmade Schwarzenegger movie.

Sicario - excellent, beautifully shot and loved the soundtrack.

NapalmKev

Superbad

My mates are good at ruining films for me, explaining plot etc, so I waited a long time to watch this to ensure I'd forgotten what I'd been told.

Anyway, very funny film that doesn't overstay its welcome.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Hawkmumbler

Doomwatch is an odd little movie, and I can't help but feel I woukd apprciate it a little more if i'd ever seen the TV series this spin's off of. It feels polished, and has some solid shocks but ultimately feels like an overly long TV movie.

I DO find the core concept of a dusaster squad come strange happening investigation set up very promising, mind.

freq

The last movie I watched was a gem from 1984 called brother from another planet, highly recommend it, I also watched hardware which has dated rather badly and was a rip off from an old kev o neill futureshock called shok, however it did have lemmy from motorhead as a taxi driver and featured stigmata by ministry in the soundtrack

Mardroid

The last two films I saw (the first most of the way through, although I missed the start, and the second, in a couple of pieces here and there) were Karate Kid (remake) and After Earth. Both starring Jaden Smith (interesting to see how much he'd grown between the two films).

I was reluctant to watch Karate Kid when it first came out, as I have nice memories of the original and it's sequels, and I think it still holds up pretty well. In short, I only think remakes should be done if the original is not particularly good.*

As it was on the telly recently, I thought, why not? On one hand the film was actually pretty good. The main characters were mostly pretty good. Jackie Chan was great in the Mr. Han/Miagi role, and the Chinese setting was nice viewing. On the other hand, it pretty much confirmed my original view: the original didn't really need to be retold, as this version, good though it was, was almost exactly the same. It's set in China instead of USA. It features a Chinese martial arts tutor instead of a Japanese tutor, and the kid is learning Kung-fu instead of Karate**, but the story-line is almost exactly the same. Not just the fact that a tutor becomes a father figure teaches a lonely kid discipline, self worth and what really matters. I mean all the stuff that happens almost exactly follows the plot of the original. It's good, but so was the original. I guess you could say that this kid is even more a fish out of water than Danny from the original, since he's had to relocate to another country, but that's about it.

I haven't seen the other film all the way through, but I wasn't particularly taken by it. It had that 'salute our brave heroes' vibe which is prevalent and rather corny in American films. The stuff on the planet (well, Earth) with the alien was really good though.

* I confess, I'll contradict myself here by saying I did prefer the 78 version of Invasion of the Bodys Snatchers far more than the original, despite the original being good. In my defence, I saw the 78 version first, not knowing it was a remake, but I think I might prefer it anyway as I think the characters are more interesting and it is genuinely a bit more scary. I wouldn't mind reassessing the original though.

**It's a bit of a niggle for me that it's called 'Karate Kid', since there is no Karate. In-story, I guess it's a reference to the kid's mother who refers to the martial arts as 'karate' before being corrected by her shirty son, but I think it's mainly a ploy to use the original to promote the new version. Well... it is pretty much the same story anyway.

Mardroid

Red - just now. I was in two minds about watching it, but I'm glad I did.  Very entertaining, some great comedy and action. A kind of far fetched story, but not in a bad way. Bruce Willis is... Bruce Willis (a good thing in this case) Helen Mirren is delicious, Brian Cox is a likeable old Russian rogue (not for the first time, surely?), Morgan Freeman is his usual likeable self, and there are other great characters played my actors whose names I can't remember. Oh and our Karl Urban is in it too in a major role. [spoiler]His character goes on a bit of a journey actually.[/spoiler]

Daveycandlish

Quote from: Mardroid on 27 February, 2017, 01:55:30 AM
Red - just now. I was in two minds about watching it, but I'm glad I did.  Very entertaining, some great comedy and action.

I think it's a hugely entertaining bit of tat - and better than the comic it's based on!
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Jim_Campbell

John Wick: Chapter Two.

If your first thought on watching the first movie was: "Well, I could go watching a whole pile more of THAT." then you're in luck!

It looks great, the action sequences are brilliantly staged and choreographed (and you can tell what's going on!), there are a few nicely-judged deadpan laughs and the sense of the slightly fantastical otherworld that the hitmen live in, just below the surface of the 'real' world, is neatly, quietly expanded.

There are no real surprises but it zips through its two-hour running time. I enjoyed the hell out of it.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.