Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

For my 13th birthday I got to take a few schoolmates to the cinema (which was about as exciting as birthdays got back then) and we saw a double bill of Hawk the Slayer and Saturn 3 (which was quite embarrassing because my mum was with us and it included Farrah Fawcett's boobies. :-[)

I'm pretty sure I saw Futureworld (1976) as part of a double bill too - possibly with the original Westworld

JamesC

I can remember them showing Star Wars and Empire as a double bill (I guess this was around the time Jedi came out). The posters for the double-bills were always really cool.
There were definitely some Nightmare on Elm Street ones too.

I, Cosh

I definitely remember double bills being a normal thing but not any specific examples.

Oh! Think I had to sit through some dreadful kiddie pish as a prelude to the mature delights of Viva Knievel! I must've been seven years old.
We never really die.

Keef Monkey

Don't ever recall seeing a double bill (although I did go and see Grindhouse which I guess reproduced that experience!) but I have a very vivid childhood memory of Supergirl having an intermission and the staff standing in front of the screen with little trays of Cornettos you could queue up to buy.

I'm guessing it was common back then because reels needed changing and whatnot, but seems quite an odd thing to have these days. I wonder if the 70mm showings of things like The Hateful Eight had them?

Hawkmumbler

It's also amusing with the number of 2 1/2 hour long blockbusters about these days, you would have though intermissions would become welcome.

I, Cosh

Quote from: sheldipez on 16 March, 2017, 12:50:52 PM
I honestly had no idea, spent the last half hour reading through forums on Swiss intermissions. You learn something new every day. Do some places really stop the movie mid-sentence?!
Haven't ever noticed that but the one in John Wick was fairly abrupt: just as she's walking into the room with the ridiculous bath.

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 17 March, 2017, 02:15:33 PM
I'm guessing it was common back then because reels needed changing and whatnot, but seems quite an odd thing to have these days. I wonder if the 70mm showings of things like The Hateful Eight had them?
Okay, I'd forgotten about this one. I did see the Hateful Eight over here but it seemed like the intermission was a deliberate part of the film as it comes right before the big reveal. So, you're saying it didn't have one when you saw it?
We never really die.

Smith

Nobody expects the Spanish Intermission.
Sorry,had to say that...

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Woolly on 16 March, 2017, 10:11:55 PM
...Odeon in Sheffield. (Now sadly expanded, and shit)

Always amazed that cinema lasts its bloody awful. In a city with so many alternative great cinemas that that one hangs on is amazing. Still surely the new one down The Moor will see it off?

sheridan

I saw Predator as a double-bill with Predator two at the time it came out (first time I'd seen it).

Mattofthespurs

Don't ever recall seeing a double bill

My first ever trip to the cinema was a double bill of You Only Live Twice and Live and Let Die around 1974-75

Michael Knight

Only double bills I have seen have been in the rather excellent Prince Charles Cinema in London's West End. 'Cyborg' followed by 'Masters of the Universe' was great fun.

Most recent film I caught only yesterday was Disney's live action Beauty and the Beast'. Great adaption. Pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed it. 

sheridan

Quote from: Michael Knight on 18 March, 2017, 05:03:07 PM
Only double bills I have seen have been in the rather excellent Prince Charles Cinema in London's West End. 'Cyborg' followed by 'Masters of the Universe' was great fun.

Missed that one - interesting fact about Masters of the Universe is that - the car park of the place that Courteney Cox's character works is the place that Rodney King was assaulted by police officers, sparking the Los Angeles riots.

radiator

The Belko Experiment

Have been really looking forward to this, but in the end it was surprisingly average. Without spoiling anything, if you've seen the trailer you can pretty much predict how the entire movie will play out. I was confidently predicting some clever twists on the Battle Royale formula, but nope - its pretty rote.

Nor as inventive, given the scenario, or as funny, given the writer, as you'd expect - which is surprising given this was apparently James Gunn's long-gestating passion project - the script isn't as tight as you'd expect. It's more reminiscent of the Dawn of the Dead remake (which he scripted) than anything. The end result is a rather predictable, anticlimactic movie that lacks even Battle Royale's demented humor to offset the blunt, nihilistic tone.

A bit of a miss.

2/5.

radiator

Logan.

I really enjoyed it - the restrained, slower paced first half moreso - the second half kinda descended into overblown schlock a bit too much for my liking. Perversely, I actually think it would have been a better film for being even leaner and more stripped-down, with less characters and a lower budget and body count (and if they had dialled down the grittiness and violence just a smidge). All the head-stabbing just gets a bit deadening after a while, and most of the real standout moments for me were the quieter character beats, some of which were really moving, but hey i guess its a Fox X Men film, so there has to be a giant mutant battle blowout at the end...

But yeah, i liked it. It was really nicely shot and the director and actors made some really nice choices. A fitting send-off for Jackman, and its such a relief that R rated genre movies can apparently make money again.

4/5

Keef Monkey

Quote from: I, Cosh on 17 March, 2017, 02:25:35 PM
Okay, I'd forgotten about this one. I did see the Hateful Eight over here but it seemed like the intermission was a deliberate part of the film as it comes right before the big reveal. So, you're saying it didn't have one when you saw it?

No intermission when I saw it, and I haven't rewatched it yet but do vaguely remember some sort of title card midway through so I guess it did feel a bit like there was an intermission point built into it. It just kept rolling though.

Went to see Get Out at the weekend, and loved it. Very smart, funny in places and brilliantly acted. Get the impression it's being marketed as an all out horror movie and it'd be a shame if that were to put off non-horror fans because it doesn't feel like that at all. It's more of a dread-inducing tense thriller than a jump-scarey slashathon. Any time I felt sure about where it was going to go it would surprise me by doing something a bit sharper and classier. It really is great, and a bit of an instant classic.

It managed to do all that despite the Cineworld screen we were in having a very loud continuous clanging sound throughout the film (like someone smacking a metal pole off a pipe for the duration). Loads of us complained and the ushers came in and had a listen but nobody could figure out where it was coming from or how to sort it which was annoying.

Also saw The Nice Guys on Netflix and really enjoyed it. Very funny, and with some of the best clumsy/painful/slapstick-tinged action scenes I think I've seen. A film I'd really like to watch again, and suspect I'll laugh even more the second time.