Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 20 March, 2017, 09:55:52 AM
Quote from: I, Cosh on 17 March, 2017, 02:25:35 PM
Quote from: Keef Monkey on 17 March, 2017, 02:15:33 PM
I'm guessing it was common back then because reels needed changing and whatnot, but seems quite an odd thing to have these days. I wonder if the 70mm showings of things like The Hateful Eight had them?
Okay, I'd forgotten about this one. I did see the Hateful Eight over here but it seemed like the intermission was a deliberate part of the film as it comes right before the big reveal. So, you're saying it didn't have one when you saw it?

No intermission when I saw it, and I haven't rewatched it yet but do vaguely remember some sort of title card midway through so I guess it did feel a bit like there was an intermission point built into it. It just kept rolling though.

Hateful Eight had an intermission at my cinema too, the only one I've ever experienced.
Bit of a WTF moment for most of the audience!

It allowed for an apposite coffee refill.

Tiplodocus

Last time I saw LAWRENCE OF ARABIA at the cinema, it had the overture. That confused teh fuck out of everyone.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Michael Knight

Just seen 'Kong: Skull island' and was blown away. Been a while since I considered seeing a film for the second time in a cinema. Would rewatch this!
Anyone else enjoy this as much as me?   

TordelBack

Quote from: Michael Knight on 20 March, 2017, 08:47:56 PM
Just seen 'Kong: Skull island' and was blown away. Been a while since I considered seeing a film for the second time in a cinema. Would rewatch this!
Anyone else enjoy this as much as me?

Yup, thought it was great: pure nonsense, but none the worse for that. Excellent mixture of genres and tones, with a really loveable Kong.  I thought the whole cast were terrific, and even if Hiddleston had a pretty underdeveloped character to work with he still had more than enough screen presence to carry it off. It was a film that had clearly studied the both the shortcomings and strengths of the 2014 Godzilla, and learnt from both.

Easily the best Kong since the original.

Goaty

Manos: The Hands of Fate is great to watch!

:o

Tiplodocus

CARNAGE   On the BBC iPlayer. 

It's a "mockumentary" by Simon Amstell set in the year 2067 with people looking back on how the world became vegan. 

I'm probably bang in the target audience for this as I like Amstell and, well, you know the rest  but there are some good laughs to be had (not least of which is Joanna Lumley's plummy tones being the "voice" of animal thoughts) and Glenn from Thick Of It being a Clarkson-esque shock-jock.

Plus I genuinely couldn't tell if some of the archive footage was faked or real.

Warning: There are some graphic bits in it.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

The Enigmatic Dr X

Doghouse

A low budget Danny Dyer film from 2009 in which a virus turns women into zombies. Stupid fun.
Lock up your spoons!

Mardroid

Logan.

I don't dislike the other Wolverine films, but, yes, this was very special.

Don't look at this if you haven't seen it yet (obviously):
[spoiler]Considering the ending, (and setting for that matter) i wonder how this will affect future X-Men films. I guess it's set far enough in the future for now to give a lot of leeway, but sooner or later, unless the series is discontinued ( a real possibility) they'll catch up.

Not that it really matters with the propensity for altered timelines and revamps, etc. It's still a nice finale for the character.[/spoiler]

radiator

Quote from: Mardroid on 21 March, 2017, 06:35:38 PM
Logan.

[spoiler]Considering the ending, (and setting for that matter) i wonder how this will affect future X-Men films. I guess it's set far enough in the future for now to give a lot of leeway, but sooner or later, unless the series is discontinued ( a real possibility) they'll catch up.

Not that it really matters with the propensity for altered timelines and revamps, etc. It's still a nice finale for the character.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I saw it very much as a Dark Knight Returns/Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? type story. Just one possible future/ending for these characters. Also, we're talking about a series where multiple versions of the same characters exist and one of the main characters in the franchise has now died on-screen twice - I don't think they're particularly concerned about continuity.[/spoiler]

Having had more time to think on it, I do feel more and more strongly that they went a bit overboard with the violence and other R rated content in Logan. In particular, I really didn't like that they [spoiler]killed the farmer family. It seemed excessive and mean-spirited on the part of the film that literally every single character in the entire movie dies except Laura and a handful of mutant kids we barely know, and also basically makes Logan and Charles indirectly responsible for their deaths.[/spoiler] To me, the often absurd level of violence undercut the mature tone they managed to achieve in the rest of the movie - it reminded me a little of a late nineties Vertigo comics in that regard - a little gratuitous and ott.

I also didn't really care for the [spoiler]Logan clone. Wish they hadn't gone down that route, was hoping for something more inventive. Richard E Grant was also wasted.[/spoiler] On the flipside, the main trio were absolutely phenomenal. I honestly don't think its unrealistic or hyperbole to suggest that Patrick Stewart deserves serious awards recognition for his performance.

CrazyFoxMachine

Bjarnfreðarson

Finally after years of pursuit - my partner found a book/DVD deluxe edition of this in a shop in Reykjavik and it has become somewhat of a holy relic in our house. After three series of excellent and occasionally astonishingly dark character comedy the trio hit the big screen and the results are extraordinary. A masterpiece in character dissection - pulling apart the childhood of monstrous communist grouch Georg and rebuilding him from the ground up. It's tragic, it's inspiring and it's deeply referential to the series so to get anything from it at all you'll need to watch all that first. Just hop on a plane to Reykjavik...

JOE SOAP

Pity the BBC never showed the rest of the series.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: radiator on 21 March, 2017, 07:27:08 PM
Quote from: Mardroid on 21 March, 2017, 06:35:38 PM
Logan.

[spoiler]I saw it very much as a Dark Knight Returns/Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? type story. Just one possible future/ending for these characters. Also, we're talking about a series where multiple versions of the same characters exist and one of the main characters in the franchise has now died on-screen twice - I don't think they're particularly concerned about continuity.[/spoiler]

I quite liked Mark Kermode's take on it, that the [spoiler]existence of the comic books in the film and the way Logan dismisses them as prettied up versions of what actually happened, is almost like him pointing at the previous films and saying the same thing. That those films were fantastical takes on the events but that we're in the real world now. Put a nice spin on it I thought.

I agree about the clone as well, I felt like the first half of the film was more engaging that the latter parts, just because it did such a great job of seperating itself from the usual superhero fare that once it actually became about evil scientists and fighting a super-clone it almost felt like it was letting itself down a bit, like that stuff didn't really fit the atmosphere they'd built. I was also disappointed that it went the 'taken in by a kindly family who get killed for their troubles' route, not because their deaths seemed cruel, just because it was so damn predictable and has been used so many times that it felt like a lazy detour.[/spoiler]

That sounds really negative, and I really really liked the film, just have some quibbles.

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 22 March, 2017, 10:46:03 AM
I quite liked Mark Kermode's take on it, that the [spoiler]existence of the comic books in the film and the way Logan dismisses them as prettied up versions of what actually happened, is almost like him pointing at the previous films and saying the same thing. That those films were fantastical takes on the events but that we're in the real world now. Put a nice spin on it I thought.[/spoiler]

Nah. Sneering at the source material very much places it in the first three movies' timeline.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Dandontdare

I can only echo the general consensus on Logan - overall very good but becomes a bit of a predictable, over-gory stab-fest towards the end - in fact, as soon as all the characters were in place, I pretty much predicted how the rest of the movie would pan out.

I thought the girl was very good, and Patrick Stewart was outstanding - that idea of his "seizures" was remarkable, both in concept and execution.

Radbacker

umm, i watched Power Rangers today (so sue me, it was that or Beauty and The Beast) and I must say that was alot of fun, almost as much fun as I wanted the Transformers movies to be but they weren't. Power Rangers are a bit bellow my age group (Im a late 80's early 90's kid) but I did watch a bit on TV when it first started (I liked that man in suit Japanese type stuff).  the teens were pretty basic characters with one that any kid could relate to (Fallen Jock, Fallen Queen Bee, Outsider, Brain/Apergers guy and Lesbian, well I think Yellow is meant to be a lesbian) It was a bit light on the actual Power Rangers themselves but when they did turn up it was lots of fun, could've done with a bit more straight Power Rangers action before they moved onto the Zords and Megazords and Rita was quite nasty for a kids movie villian but all up a fun movie I had a bog goofy grin on my face as it ended.  And as a strange thing there was actual clapping in the cinema as the credits rolled which I dont think I've ever seen.
3 1/2 Megazords out of 5

CU Radbacker