Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

XXX: The Return of Xander Cage contains every kind of stupid you can imagine in a movie without it being a comedy.  At one point Vin Diesel recreates the end of The Iron Giant and it's not even remotely the dumbest thing that happens in this film.
Gloriously stupid to the point that I didn't see the most obvious cameo ever coming near the end, it's also to be commended for the shoehorning-in of a multinational cast almost guaranteed to annoy the basement-dwellers constantly kvetching online about "social justice and diversity" ruining everything, though a few of the cast could do with acting lessons, or at least work on their delivery.

Rara Avis

Tickled

An NZ documentary about the bizarre world of competetive endurance tickling.

It starts weird and gets dark real quick so if that's your thing you should enjoy this.

Also finished Peaky Blinders -  WOW!

Rately

Quote from: Rara Avis on 05 April, 2017, 05:04:14 PM
Tickled

It starts weird and gets dark real quick so if that's your thing you should enjoy this.

Also finished Peaky Blinders -  WOW!

Really looking forward to watching this. Read an article about the people who created the competition, and it sounds utterly fascinating.

For further reference, the The Dollop podcast had an early episode that explored the world of competitive tickling, and it is absolutely hilarious.

sheridan

Quote from: Rara Avis on 05 April, 2017, 05:04:14 PM

Dark?  Should I ask?

Rara Avis

There's nothing obscene or grisly happening, it's not dark in that way.

It just starts out as a bit odd and after 10 minutes it just goes right off the deep end.

So many 'WTF????' moments and although you can see the plot twist coming it's very entertaining nonetheless.

Tony Angelino

Gone in 60 Seconds. The original 1974 one. Its better than the remake by virtue of not having Nicholas Cage in it and is best known for its extremely long car chase.

Its okay and at least the car jump at the end of the movie was done for real as opposed to the remake where it is clearly CGI. The jump in this one isn't quite as dramatic but looks very painful for the driver involved. 

Bizarrely numerous real US police departments took part in the filming but the overall feeling you get from the movie is that it does tend to glamorise car theft a bit.

CrazyFoxMachine

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (2016)

No. Not quite.

Having grown-up a Potterlad this film doesn't quite scratch the itch. It's not indulgent enough, it's not relatable enough.

Don't get me wrong though - it functions perfectly well but sort of nineties-blockbuster-ish. Everyone serves their purpose and nothing really beyond that. Fogler's likable as Jacob - Farrell is cold and nasty - Redmayne and Waterston are bumbling and relatable. Will they? Who knows. I don't particularly mind or care.

It's a solid framework but a poor story - it's all been placed there to weave into the climax which unfolds predictably. The rich magic which enchants the books of my childhood drifts aimlessly around the skeleton of the narrative. Will this ever be the beloved franchise that WB wants? Who can say? Without any source text behind this we're left like the WB executives desperately scrabbling to find something meaningful in nothing.

Theblazeuk

I fell stone asleep and woke up in time to see Colin Farrell make a rather strange make-up choice.

In better movie news, the movie Get Out is a corker. Well worth seeing at the cinema for the sheer tension and dread the big, immersive screen will get you. Only weird bit is seeing Daniel Kaluuya with an American accent, for those of you who enjoyed Tea-Leaf in Psychoville or The Fades.

SIP

With Covenant coming up i gave Prometheus yet another chance last night (it's fourth).

Sigh, no. It's still a mess.  An attractive mess......but a mess nonetheless. Think that was its last chance.......probably.

Rara Avis

Had a movie bonanza this weekend:

Get Out - Is this the first black horror movie? I really enjoyed it, it's kind of a slow burner but the tension builds nicely. It's beautifully shot and pretty much everyone is great in it. It reminded me of that German movie [spoiler]Transfer[/spoiler] so if you liked this you might like that.

Hidden Figures - It's got cool cars, cool clothes, SPACE!!!!, maths and unfortunately lots of racism. It's not the best movie I've ever seen but certainly a story that deserved to be told.

Beauty and the Beast - Did not know this was a musical, don't like musicals but I do like Emma Watson. The Beast was hotter as the Beast so I was disappointed at the transformation in the end. Also I'm just going to come right out and say it if no one else has - weird bestiality vibes. Yeah that was a weird one.

The Wolfpack - Documentary about a family who grow up in New York and are never allowed to their apartment. This is fascinating stuff. They lengths they go to to entertain themselves - incredible! Sweet and odd at the same time.

Who Took Johnny? - Documentary about the first missing kid to ever appear on a milk carton. They never found him and this documentary explores the lengths his parents especially his mother went to to try get him back. I was left with quite a few questions at the end of this.

Table 19 - I'm quite a fan of Mark Duplass, I loved The League and The One I Love. This movie has no bite though. It's nice but there's nothing to it really.

Tried to watch the latest Underworld and fell asleep twice.

I think that's pretty much it ..

Spikes

Quote from: Rara Avis on 10 April, 2017, 07:09:10 PM

Who Took Johnny? - Documentary about the first missing kid to ever appear on a milk carton. They never found him and this documentary explores the lengths his parents especially his mother went to to try get him back. I was left with quite a few questions at the end of this.

Intrigued by this, I tracked it down on Youtube - the full film is on there - and boy, what a documentary....

The struggle that the parents find themselves up against, in regards to attitudes from the Police, the FBI, and - in part - the media, is depressingly familiar.

Given the subject matter, it goes without saying that this is not an easy watch at all, and as you say, It does leave you with a good few questions at the end of it.

Mattofthespurs

Had a movie bonanza this weekend:

Get Out - Is this the first black horror movie?

Not by a long chalk. I can think of Blacula (and it's sequel), Tales From The Hood, JD's Revenge, Blackenstein, Abby, and Ganja and Hess just off the top of my head.

Hawkmumbler

Ganja and Hess is a horror movie on a whole other level, easily one of the best vampire tales ever crafted.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 11 April, 2017, 10:58:07 AM
Get Out - Is this the first black horror movie?
Not by a long chalk. I can think of Blacula (and it's sequel), Tales From The Hood, JD's Revenge, Blackenstein, Abby, and Ganja and Hess just off the top of my head.
Candyman
Snoop Dogg's Hood of Horror
Leprechaun in the Hood
etc
We never really die.

Theblazeuk

Let's put it another way.

Is this the first non-blaxploitation horror movie? That stars a black protagonist, doesn't revolve entirely round the 'hood and has a black creative team... Certainly not, as Ganja & Hess appears to fit all those points! Looks like one I will have to chase down. But still - I think that if pressed for a black horror movie that wasn't an exploitation movie, we would all jump to Candyman, a decent movie but one with a white person in every major role but the boogeyman.

(All that said, whilst race does factor into the story of Get Out and the characters, it's not a movie about race per se.)