Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

Breaking Bad: The Movie. Before you get too excited, this is a fan-made project whereby the tv series has been chopped up and distilled into a two hour single film. Of course, it suffers for this and is not the best film ever made by a long shot, with plot-holes aplenty and some mystifying character development.

That said, the source material is of such high quality that I can honestly say I've watched far worse films in my time. Far worse. For all its obvious flaws it hangs together pretty well and has been cut and spliced in a way that doesn't jar. If you fancy a bit of BB but don't want to trawl through the whole thing again, this film is an acceptable reminder of how awesome Walter White's adventure really was.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

SIP

Maybe you will all have a different take on Rogue One to me.......i am a Star Wars fanboy and this got me through the first viewing - think I was just wowed by seeing Darth Vader. The whole thing completely fell apart for me on the second viewing.  It becomes blatantly apparent that it's a mess.

After seeing a Star Wars film twice, my previous form with a Star Wars movie is to look forward to the next 20 or 30 viewings. Hell, I've seen revenge of the sith at least 50 times (I know...).  And yet I haven't even bothered to buy Rogue One.

Say what you like about Force Awakens, it IS a cohesive and generally fun film. I can't say either of those things about Rogue One.  I look forward to the Force Awakens sequel and hopefully its trailer before the end of the week. That film had new enjoyable characters in it that I am interested to follow. I got to The end of Rogue One and genuinely couldn't care less about the fates of any of the characters involved.  Just made me think "damn, should have used Vader a bit more while we still have James Earl Jones".

Really keen to hear what people think of Rogue One once they have seen it multiple times (though the last person I said that to told me that they had seen it 11 times and still loved it.....so there you go).

Tony Angelino

Interesting view. I loved Rogue One (although I've only watched it once) while I thought The Force Awakens was a bit bland.

I didn't like the two CGI characters and it definitely has other flaws but I thought it was great, possibly even my favourite Star Wars film.

I was disappointed a bit in Ben Mendelsohn though as he is a great actor and if you haven't watched Netflix's Bloodline then it is one to look out for. I thought he was a bit miscast in the Rogue One role and would have been far better in a Han Solo type role.

HdE

Quote from: Tony Angelino on 11 April, 2017, 09:37:03 PM

I didn't like the two CGI characters and it definitely has other flaws but I thought it was great, possibly even my favourite Star Wars film.

I was disappointed a bit in Ben Mendelsohn though as he is a great actor and if you haven't watched Netflix's Bloodline then it is one to look out for. I thought he was a bit miscast in the Rogue One role and would have been far better in a Han Solo type role.

Interesting you bring these points up. I was actually quite surprised at how well I thought they recreated Peter Cushing. The voice was wrong, to my ears, but visually I found him convincing. I wasn't so enamoured with the digitally rebuilt Carrie Fisher, though. She just looked scary.

And there were a few moment where I thought that Krennic dude looked a bit liek a craggier Han Solo. So I definitely see what youre driving at there.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

SIP

Quote from: HdE on 11 April, 2017, 10:05:50 PM
Quote from: Tony Angelino on 11 April, 2017, 09:37:03 PM

Interesting you bring these points up. I was actually quite surprised at how well I thought they recreated Peter Cushing. The voice was wrong, to my ears, but visually I found him convincing. I wasn't so enamoured with the digitally rebuilt Carrie Fisher, though. She just looked scary.

And there were a few moment where I thought that Krennic dude looked a bit liek a craggier Han Solo. So I definitely see what youre driving at there.

On the CGI characters in Rogue One, I first saw the film on 3d I max and the cgi didn't look at all convincing. On the second viewing, in 2d on a lot smaller screen, it loked much better. I was quite impressed with it. I suspect it may look wholly more impressive again on a standard TV screen.

TordelBack

Quote from: HdE on 11 April, 2017, 07:09:39 PM
This woman just witnessed [spoiler]her OWN FATHER being blown up BY THE REBEL ALLIANCE![/spoiler] And that doesn't further the idea she's developed that the Rebel Alliance is a bad thing?

I'd be the first to say that Jyn's character is a bit of an uncomfortable fudge, the victim of substantial last minute changes, but what you describe isn't what happens... She's just learnt that far from being an Imperial stooge that abandoned her, her father gave up his whole life, and effectively hers too,  to work on a planet-killing monstrosity just so that he could build in an Achilles' Heel.  Despite the fact that she's pissed off with the Alliance's murder of Galen, which is compelling evidence of their deeply conservative and defensive thinking in a war they are losing, the fact is that their resources are the only hope she has of making something out of her father's sacrifice. In re-using Cassian's 'hope' speech she's criticising what the Rebellion is, and exhorting them to be what she needs them to be: risk-takers, martyrs, gambling everything on this one last chance.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I thought whatsisface with the white cloak was completely forgetable. They should have doubled down and just used Vader as the primary antagonist.
You may quote me on that.

Colin YNWA

I find it difficult to understand the extremities of opinion on Rogue One (I'm horrified to find I'm in agreement with Professor Bear!). Its okay. When it came out people seemed to adore it. Now apparently people hate it.

Its okay.

I mean yes its the best film since the original trilogy. But then that's not really setting a high standard is it.

Its nowhere near as good as any film in the original trilogy. But then that does have a high standard.

Its okay.

The big black robot was very cool mind.

TordelBack

Yeah, I'd agree with that: it wasn't what I want from a SW movie, but it has some really fantastic bits, and it adds value to the OT and the Prequel cartoons rather than s****ing on them, so I'm calling it a victory on points.

On the other hand, WTF is this piece of half-arsed hackwork masquerading as a professional DVD cover:

As far as I can tell from that, this movie is about some gap-year students whose bus into Patong hasn't turned up on time.

Hawkmumbler

Vader really out to get that Death Star sized zit on the back of his head checked out...

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: TordelBack on 12 April, 2017, 10:28:15 AM
On the other hand, WTF is this piece of half-arsed hackwork masquerading as a professional DVD cover:

Needs more lens flare.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 12 April, 2017, 10:50:32 AM
Quote from: TordelBack on 12 April, 2017, 10:28:15 AM

Needs more lens flare.
I think that one that's perfectly framed to silhouette Jyn's arse is enough.

Urgh.

The Legendary Shark

I did enjoy Rogue One the first time I watched it at the cinema, enough to download a copy to put me on until I could buy the dvd. I've watched it again a couple of times and enjoyed it a bit less with each viewing - now I'm waiting to buy the dvd on offer or at a charity shop/ car boot sale.

I still like it well enough - I like all the SW films well enough but they're not my favourites - but mainly for the ship/creature/location/machinery/sound designs rather than the characters or story. I don't think anything can beat them for overall design.

For me it's the stories and characters that let the films down. For instance, Forest Whitaker's Saw Whatsisname character - not a bad idea as a kind of rebel version of Darth Vader, with his robotic parts and plastic wheezey mask. He's obviously shown a great deal of resilience and determination to not only survive his bodily erosion but also to keep on fighting but, in the end, instead of helping to convince the rest of the rebels to grow a pair and go on the offensive, join in that last battle to die a heroic death or even make a run for a ship, he just gives up. He allows himself and his men, to whom he seems to pay no attention to in the end,  to be consumed by the destructive wave as meek as a lamb. Waste of a good character.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

Saw Gerera is a character carried over from the Clone Wars cartoon where he was a freedom fighter and liberator. The backstory as to how his respiratory system got fucked was covered in Rebels Season 3 as well.

The Legendary Shark

I haven't seen Clone Wars but I really enjoyed the first two seasons of Rebels - looking forward to S3.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]