Main Menu

Shooting completed for Judge Dredd

Started by Mike Carroll, 21 February, 2011, 05:56:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CYCLOPZ

This Dredd Movie better be good,

Because it looks like Robocop is definitely coming back, and with a budget of $80 mil.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/heat-vision/elite-squad-director-helm-robocop-162887

The director of Elite Squad is also attached to the project.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwTiu3typeY&feature=player_embedded#at=132

I know that given a choice right now John Q American public would rather see a Robocop reboot than a Dredd one.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Hopefully the RoboCop re boot it will come out after Dredd so they won't be competing against each other directly.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

dweezil2

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 02 March, 2011, 08:25:15 PM

Hopefully the RoboCop re boot it will come out after Dredd so they won't be competing against each other directly.

I imagine the Robocop re-boot is only at a very early stage of development-years away from stealing Dredd's thunder, one would hope.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

radiator

Yeah, given that Dredd has finished shooting already it's likely to hit cinemas at least 18 months before Robocop, so this time Dredd will be stealing Robocop's thunder, if anything.

Hoagy

Furck Robocop. It's always goin' te be second outta th gate. Furck it I say. You wan' chrome Dredd? Buy airfix.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Steve DGenerate

Robocop had it's day, it was great for it's time, but it really wouldn't be the same without Peter Weller in the lead role (they tried, it failed).
Utter and pointless waste of money.

Michaelvk

Hm.. I should find out who's doing Robocop.. I need another gig now outcasts is looking shakey..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

Toni Scandella

Robocop hasn't stood the test of time very well - watched it again recently and it's pretty boring and all those emo scenes where he takes off the helmet and reclaims his humanity are all a bit... twee. Shame as I remember loving it at the time.

radiator

Whaaaat? Robocop is arsom!

As for 'standing the test of time'? A large part of the appeal about the film for me is that it really captures something of the zeitgeist of the 1980s - that it is very much of it's time is one of the most appealing things about it.

Spaceghost

Quote from: Michaelvk on 03 March, 2011, 11:58:59 PM
Hm.. I should find out who's doing Robocop.. I need another gig now outcasts is looking shakey..

TRAITOR!!!
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Cthulouis

Yeah, Robo-Cop rocks. Saw it for the first time a while back (not counting hazy memories of stuff on the TV that I can't really remember because I am young) and it really is something special. The adverts for future stuff, the black humour ("Someone get a paramedic!"), the stop-motion special effects (I'm a sucker for stop-motion) all makes the film stand out as a classic.

Why it needs a remake is beyond me.

Jared Katooie

PLEASE PUT DOWN YOUR REMAKE. YOU HAVE 20 SECONDS TO COMPLY.

Judge Palmer

What is it with Hollywood and remakes, haven't they got any talented writers? Dredd definatley needed to be remade but remaking Spiderman, Robocop etc is a waste of money and shows a lack of initiative as well as taking the easy option when it comes to film making.

Well made original classic movies should just be left alone...
Creep broke the rules, he's doing time!

Woolly

One thing i've found from talking to my mates kids is that they simply do not want to watch what they call 'old' films, and yes that includes 80s films.

As long as a remake manages to capture the correct tone and character of the original (whilst still being good!), and sells the idea to a new audience, then its okay in my book! And Robocop, much as i love the film, is no exception.
If anything, i want a good remake so that new audiences can understand what is so cool about the concept!

And if the remake turns out to be shite (which is likely), then i've allways got Verhoeven's masterpiece on my shelf to console me  :thumbsup:

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Judge Palmer on 04 March, 2011, 08:30:23 PMWhat is it with Hollywood and remakes, haven't they got any talented writers?

This is a bit of a modern myth, Hollywood has always done remakes, ever since the studio system started and lots of 'em. Silent era films were made repeatedly over and over. There's multiple verions of the Wizard of Oz -most of them made before the 40's- at least 3 Ben Hurs  -two made before the most known one from 1959. How many Robin Hoods have there been, King Arthurs and multiple Shakespeare adaptations. Bond films are generally the same 60's film made over and over again and there are three Invasion of the Body-Snatchers- these are all only some of the more know ones off-the-top-of-my-head.

People have short memories or are too young to remember but remakes are part of the Hollywood industry staple and always have been. It's a business and this is how part of it operates.

My guess is that 'anomalously' there were less remakes of in the 70's because the American 'auteurs' gained critical and commercial success but were unable to sustain the level of creativity so the big studio blockbusters returned with Spielberg and Lucas. One of the best fanstasy films of all time is a remake, the Thing, and it's being remade again in Hollywood fashion.

Hollywood produces 500-600 films a year, what percentage are remakes? I bet more new films are produced that are not remakes, they just aren't prominent. Remakes are generally more high profile with bigger budgets cos they are perceived as the safer game and sometimes this is true but still a risk. They're also making far more comic book films than they ever have or were ever able to make; the number of trends has just increased. Swings and roundabouts.

It could be worse, it could be Bollywood which makes a 1000 films a year and nearly all the same.