Main Menu

Doctor who: the almost people

Started by The Monarch, 28 May, 2011, 07:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Monarch

Colin Zeal

I haven't seen a full epsiode of Dr Who since I was about ten and Sylvester McCoy was in the hot seat. But seeing the last two minutes tonight means I'm perfectly entitled to comment on this episode. That bloke who did the runner on his missus when the Dr told him to is a wrong un and needs watching.

Batman's Superior Cousin

This was indeed one of the best episodes that I have ever watched!!!

Congrats to the episode writer, actors (& actresses) involved & the production team as a whole!!!

Well done to them all!!!!
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

mogzilla

enjoyed that, bit more to it than last weeks. but where has [spoiler]amy really been and for how long?[/spoiler] thats two good cliffhangers though i think it will be added to next week as its the series break afterwards and river "has something to tell the dr"

Trout

Freaky, shocking stuff.

We enjoyed it, although parts of it were hard to follow. Mainly that was by design, due to people looking like each other.

Overall: great. Want more.

- Trout

Adrian Bamforth

Good, solid stuff: Very refreshing to have a character-based story set in a confined space with mostly make-up with only the necessary effects, and with only a few people at stake rather than an entire planet. Was also nice not having as many wisecracks as Moffatt crams in. With its thought-provoking theme (perhaps not new but new to kids) it reminded me of classic Star Trek in a good way.

Leigh S

Oh dear.

We spend 2 episodes establishing that the Gangers are human too, and then[spoiler]they melt Amy![/spoiler]

And why didnt the gangers shelter in the TARDIS while the originals used the sonic on the monster Jenny?

Not RTD bad, but I think the problem is it still isnt thinking these things through!

Richard

That ending made absolutely no sense. The Doctor spent two episodes arguing that the 'gangers are real people, and then murders one. Not only is it illogical, but it's totally out of the Doctor's character.

Leigh S

Well, thinking about it, I suppose if this ganger Amy is a puppet Ganger, then its not too "bad" as offing the fully sentient independent versions but still made me laugh at the way it was done - they really should have made a bit more of it - Rory stepping away meekly for example, rather struck me as wrong. So as teh Doctor here is talking to real AMy through the puppet flesh, you'd think he would have explained it a bit more to her before melting her

It was very convenient how one version of each got the chop, so no messy moral conundrums left!

Paul faplad Finch

Thought it was a bit of a mess personally, which I really don't like saying.

Wanted to like it; like Mathew Grahams stuff usually, have liked most of the guest cast in other stuff, thought the 'non-evil' monster that is actually in the right was a good concept. Sadly, it was all thrown away.

Between this 2parter and the pirate bobbins, I can't help but think that this run isn't going to go down as one of the best recieved. Especially since a lot of people had so many "it's too complicated" complaints about the openers (though I should say I didn't have a problem with them myself).

Here's hoping Moffat pulls off something spectacular next week, or this curtailed run is going to look disproportianately weak.

It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

Emp

Not watched the last 2 yet as it was a two parter but not really bothered if i do.

I have really tried to like this new Doctor but finding it really hard. Might be down to him having to follow Ecleston and Tennant but i just can't warm to him.

Can see echoes of Troughton and Baker in him but that seems to be more of a bad thing as he hasn't and seems incapable of, stamping himself on the role.

Kowalsky (formerly JudgeGumpty)

Theres me watching these last two episodes and wishing they had a lot more depth to them and then Moffat throws another curve ball at the 11th hour.

[spoiler]Amy pregnant well we got that from the last series, but then it turns out she hasnt really been in the Tardis since when ?

Any ideas as to where she has been ? :o/[/spoiler]

Never rub another mans rhubarb

The Monarch

[spoiler]Demons run apparently...[/spoiler] :lol:

Grant Goggans

Maybe she got abducted during the three months that she and Rory and River were running around in 1969?

That was a pretty good episode with a storming last three minutes.  Considering how the tonally similar Silurian story fell completely apart in episode two, I was pleased.

Mardroid

I really liked that episode. And I loved the twist, although I agree that [spoiler]melting Amy-ganger[/spoiler] seemed a bit off, considering the message of the rest of the episode. Yes, you could say that [spoiler]this is a puppet rather than a full sentient ganger, but there was also the suggestion that on some level the Flesh puppets suffered every time they were disposed of in the past too. The humans were unaware, since they were separated from it (or at least their pain receptors were) but there's what's left behind... Also, that discarded blob Rory found still seemed to be alive, and I assume that the majority of that gunk was place there before the sunstorm which granted full sentience.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]That being said there was the suggestion that they may be able to reform after being destroyed. (Foreshadowing that the ganger doctor will be back, maybe?) I doubt that will happen to the Amy-ganger being non-sentient, but I don't think what's left behind truly died either. I just don't think it will ever be 'her' again. I guess that makes what the Doctor did a bit more understandable. (I can't help thinking that keeping her around would have been an asset though. Couldn't he track the signal that way,and find her location? Of course that would sacrifice a bit of drama...)[/spoiler]