Main Menu

Life is sometimes Fortean because...

Started by Richmond Clements, 09 June, 2011, 01:41:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uncle fester

So in one story we have Locusts and his mate not being scared when the man-shaped object threw rocks back at them, and in the other we hear of SBT running after a werewolf.

I'm obviously a complete wuss. If I were the former, I'd still be behind the wheel now driving in the opposite direction as fast as possible. If I were the latter I'd be in the cellar with the door nailed shut and brandishing a shotgun.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Buttonman on 10 June, 2011, 01:29:29 PM
I bet in 200 years people won't believe me.

Are you not planning on being dead? I envy you, BM. Remember me to the future.
@jamesfeistdraws

SmallBlueThing

Quote from: uncle fester on 10 June, 2011, 03:48:36 PM
So in one story we have Locusts and his mate not being scared when the man-shaped object threw rocks back at them, and in the other we hear of SBT running after a werewolf.

I'm obviously a complete wuss. If I were the former, I'd still be behind the wheel now driving in the opposite direction as fast as possible. If I were the latter I'd be in the cellar with the door nailed shut and brandishing a shotgun.

It wasn't a werewolf, mr Fester, it was a fox, as well you know. But when I get panicked and excited I tend to shout some bizarre shite. See my infamous "PRINCE CHARLES HAS BEEN ASSASSINATED!" scream, on the morning of Diana's death- scaring my flatmate and his lady half to death.

SBT

Buttonman

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 10 June, 2011, 03:56:35 PM
Quote from: Buttonman on 10 June, 2011, 01:29:29 PM
I bet in 200 years people won't believe me.

Are you not planning on being dead? I envy you, BM. Remember me to the future.

Not according to this fellow - he says the first 1000 year old human is already drawing breath! Glad I just get in under his '40 or under' time bar!

Emperor

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 10 June, 2011, 12:37:57 PM
Have any of these ABC in the UK ever been verified with photos and footprints etc ?

There has been the occasional shooting of one - they mainly turn out to be lynx or jungle cats (and the occasional puma). The Wikipedia article has some:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_big_cats

There is a better list on the talk page 9although unsourced):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk%3ABritish_big_cats#Physical_evidence

But Googling to find another case I can think of (a jungle cat shooting on a farm in soctland I believe) I found a page with a few more, including this one that ticks all sorts of Fortean boxes:

QuoteIn the summer of 1996, a jungle cat was killed at Black Dog Crossroads, near Warminster.

So it is connected with crossroads, named after the black dog at Warminster (part of the Warminster Triangle - a UFO hotspot) and then has an addition:

QuoteIncidentally, Black Dog Crossroads was also the scene of the death of a Rhesus monkey, again run over. From 1979 to 1983 a monkey or ape was reported several times near Brassknocker Hill, near Bath. It could have been a chimpanzee, a spider monkey, a baboon or even an Aye-Aye lemur.

A large black, panther-like cat was sighted several times around the Combe Grove Hotel, Monkton Combe, near Bath. Dubbed the "Beasts of Brassknocker Hill", they were reported in the 1980s.

The Beasts of Brassknocker Hill? Blimey.

http://www.askwhy.co.uk/frome/27exoticanimals.php
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Greg M.

There's a Luke Kirby story to be got out of all this for the current Short Story competition, y'know...  ;)

Peter Wolf

The place in Warminster called Black Dog is named after the black dog that used to be seen there which was Black Dog Lane.I dont know the area and i have no idea if there have been recent sightings.

Regarding my own story i am seriously tempted to go back to the same place to see if it reappears and take a digital video camera and a non digital video camera to see if it could be captured on film.I would happily do this alone but it would be good to go with a couple of others so that they could be witnesses.

Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

mygrimmbrother

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 10 June, 2011, 12:37:57 PM
Have any of these ABC in the UK ever been verified with photos and footprints etc ?

I read something recently about some droppings discovered in a littel english wood somewhere being categorically confirmed as those of a bonafide Big Cat. I'll try and find the link.

TordelBack

Quote from: mygrimmbrother on 10 June, 2011, 07:35:37 PM
I read something recently about some droppings discovered in a littel english wood somewhere being categorically confirmed as those of a bonafide Big Cat. I'll try and find the link.

Try googling "Does Jessie Wallace s**t in the woods?"

Little Eastenders humour there, try the shrimp, I'll be here all night.

COMMANDO FORCES

I was out running with a mate one night, when we saw a wild boar run across the road in front of us, less than 50 meters away! It would be quite a spooky experience, if it were not for the fact that we were running towards Punta Gorda in southern Belize  ;)

Dandontdare

Quote from: Buttonman on 10 June, 2011, 01:29:29 PMI saw a fox the other day sitting at the side of the road waiting for a gap in the traffic. I saw it saunter accross in my rear view mirror after I passed. Not really Fortean but I love seeing real wild animals like foxes and squirrels - I bet in 200 years people won't believe me.

You underestimate us BM. You live in Paisley, I don't believe you NOW. Are you sure it wasn't a ginger Ned in a furry coat?

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 10 June, 2011, 04:04:04 PM
But when I get panicked and excited I tend to shout some bizarre shite. See my infamous "PRINCE CHARLES HAS BEEN ASSASSINATED!" scream, on the morning of Diana's death- scaring my flatmate and his lady half to death.

I still prefer shouting DALEKS instead of your destination to a bus driver.

Mardroid

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 10 June, 2011, 08:19:58 PM
I was out running with a mate one night, when we saw a wild boar run across the road in front of us, less than 50 meters away! It would be quite a spooky experience, if it were not for the fact that we were running towards Punta Gorda in southern Belize  ;)

Not necessarily. Wild boar were introduced back to Britain a while back! (Relatively recently, to be fair.)

Peter Wolf

I once saw a massive dog lying flat on its side at the side of the road one night when my dad was driving along the A556 near to Knutsford.We were going quite fast as its a dual carriageway but i saw just enough of it to tell that it was something like a Great Dane in size and it was a gray color.

It hadnt been hit by a car either but it was out from the kerb and it just seemed a bit odd.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Albion

A few years ago myself and Mrs Albion were driving home and saw two wolves standing by the side of the road. We turned round and went back for another look but they were gone. I even got out of the car and looked in to the field they were near but there was no sign of them.

We told a few people about this but no one really believed us but a few weeks later a friend said someone had told him they had seen a wolf in the area too. We've never seen or heard of them since.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Albion on 10 June, 2011, 09:44:11 PM
We told a few people about this but no one really believed us but a few weeks later a friend said someone had told him they had seen a wolf in the area too. We've never seen or heard of them since.

What, the friend? Wow, that is spooky!
@jamesfeistdraws