Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satanist

Quote from: Martin Costello on 20 November, 2011, 05:57:02 PM
Picked up Paradroid on the Wii Virtual Store. This is tough, C64 gamers must have been a right hardcore lot!

Yes we were! Quazatron on ye olde speccy was better but similar to Paradroid though, give it a whirl if ye can find it.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: The Satanist on 22 November, 2011, 01:02:06 PM
Quote from: Martin Costello on 20 November, 2011, 05:57:02 PM
Picked up Paradroid on the Wii Virtual Store. This is tough, C64 gamers must have been a right hardcore lot!

Yes we were! Quazatron on ye olde speccy was better but similar to Paradroid though, give it a whirl if ye can find it.

Kids today. Spoon fed everything, and everything is easier.

It's like exams. They were much harder when we were young.

And I remember when this was all fields.
Lock up your spoons!

brendan1

Not sure it was better - and this is from a Spectrum fanboy - but Quazatron is available on the fabulous World Of Spectrum website for instant Java goodness.

And it's really, really ace.

I, Cosh

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 22 November, 2011, 02:06:47 PM
People who whine about how difficult it is having to make it to a "save point" make me sick.
We never really die.

brendan1

Quote from: The Cosh on 22 November, 2011, 03:29:22 PM
People who whine about how difficult it is having to make it to a "save point" make me sick.

I don't recall ever completing a Spectrum game. I got absurdly good at Match Day 2, and I can't have been been far away from clocking Quazatron, but the hundreds of others?

Not a chance.

JamesC

Quote from: brendan1 on 22 November, 2011, 04:06:06 PM
Quote from: The Cosh on 22 November, 2011, 03:29:22 PM

I don't recall ever completing a Spectrum game. I got absurdly good at Match Day 2, and I can't have been been far away from clocking Quazatron, but the hundreds of others?

Not a chance.

Did you ever play Bruce Lee?

Easiest end of game boss ever!

I'm pretty sure my brother completed Sabre Wulf and Knightlore. Got about 98% on Attik Attak too.

Satanist

Castle of Terror was one of the first games I got for my C64. I could finish it with 98% but could never kill Dracula. I tried and tried and even years later it would haunt me that I never got 100%

Then I read recently online that 98% was the max score and that you couldnt actually get 100% or kill Dracula. The guy programmed it that way so you would keep replaying it.

:o

MOTHER FUCKER!

Oh and C64 rules.

...and my last game played is MW3, its a bit meh.

brendan1

Did you ever play Bruce Lee?

Easiest end of game boss ever!

I'm pretty sure my brother completed Sabre Wulf and Knightlore. Got about 98% on Attik Attak too.

No, Bruce Lee seemed to be one of those yank games that played far better on a C64.

I played Sabre Wulf, Knightlore, Atic Atic and many, many other arcade adventures but without access to a proper playing guide, real instructions (hello C90!), and the fact that I was probably between the age of 10 and 14, meant that I didn't have the playing chops, patience or skills to get anywhere.

I think I probably spent most time on Batman and Starquake (both of which I still play now and then on WOS java) but I never got very far on either.

I, Cosh

Can't decide what to play now. I want Arkham City, but might wait until next year and the inevitable collected with the DLC edition.

Been downloading a bunch of demos but still can't make up my mind. Bastion looks alright, Radiant Silvergun will be grand but I'm not in the mood so maybe something like Geometry Wars or the Alien Breed remake...?

Might just read a book instead.
We never really die.

radiator

Satanist

Beyond Good and Evil is on sale on Monday and thats a brilliant game. I think it'll cost 240 msp, a fecking steal!

Roger Godpleton

Tried to get into Saints Row 3, but it's not for me.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Keef Monkey

Finished Deus Ex a wee while back but don't think I posted my thoughts.

Took me a couple of hours to get into, mainly because I've never been a stealth guy so had to tune into the gameplay, and despite what the marketing said about it being playable as a shooter or a stealth game if you go in guns blazing you're pretty much done for!

Once it clicked it clicked pretty hard though, it's like a mash up of Ghost In The Shell, Mass Effect and Blade Runner and immensely satisfying. A lot of folk hated the boss fights, and they were very poor but thanks to upgrading my Typhoon system first thing I got through every one of them with two button presses so they were ignorable.

Ending feels very rushed, with the last chunk not playing to it's strengths and the multiple endings basically amounting to "press this button for ending 1, this button for ending 2...etc." which felt like a waste. Alternate endings are only really satisfying when your playthrough shapes which one you get, just getting the option at the last minute suggests it was shoehorned in with haste.

Didn't come close to ruining it though, and overall definitely one of my favorite games of the generation for both gameplay and aesthetics.

Roger Godpleton

Super Mario 3dLand.

The levels are way too short and easy but this is still a Mario platformer and therefore still fun as shit with some inspired moments. I would love to play a 15 minute version of the musical platform level.

Quote from: The Satanist on 24 November, 2011, 12:29:54 PM
Beyond Good and Evil is on sale on Monday and thats a brilliant game. I think it'll cost 240 msp, a fecking steal!

If you want BG&E2 buy Rayman Origins cos Ubi are all like "yo, if you buy enough copies of RO we'll give Ancel a bunch of money."
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Keef Monkey

Halo ODST

Played through this over the weekend after getting it off lovefilm, can't have been more than about 4hrs long.

I've played the first 3 Halos and to be honest didn't enjoy them, but they get so much hype that I feel like maybe I'm playing it wrong, so everytime I get a chance to play another I give it a go on the off chance it'll be the one where I see what all the fuss is about.

Shockingly, all the negatives I can think of from even the very first game are still here.

Ropey checkpointing (they seem to use environmental trigger boxes to mark checkpoints, but they only cover particular routes around the level, so even walking the wrong way past a tree can be the difference between a checkpoint and no checkpoint), very stilted and disjointed scripting (I always find I'm a step ahead of what the game wants me to do, and wind up waiting awkwardly for the next set-piece to kick in, wandering backwards and forwards until it triggers seemingly at random), almost non-existent enemy AI (apart from a pretty flimsy morale system the 2 behaviors seem to be "Run at player" or "Stay in position and side-step every few seconds), some of the worst cut and paste level design in the business (the last hour consisted of wandering through about a dozen identical rooms, then back again, then a driving section where you went along a stretch of road, went through a gate, went along the same stretch of road, went through a gate, repeat to fade), and some very poor visuals for what's such a highly regarded AAA franchise. I spent half the game thinking it was a really brave move to use an unnattractive character model for the woman, before realizing it was Tricia Helfer's likeness.

Also, it didn't explain a great deal about it's own mechanics. I still don't know if there's recharging health, health packs or an awkward combination of both.

As always with Halo though, the music was really good and anything involving Nathan Fillion inherits a bit of cool.