Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrazyFoxMachine

There's currently a Steam sale on the very fun Lego Games - some of them are absurdly cheap - including the new Marvel one :O

radiator

I bought the first Dark Souls a while ago but haven't had time to play it yet.

I'm wary of it, but also morbidly curious to see how hard it can really be...

If it's as hard as something like the PS2/Xbox Ninja Gaiden I'll probably end up passing on it, but I'm intrigued.

Though I do think that the success of Dark/Demon's Souls and games like Day Z does indicate that there's a large percentage of gamers out there who are a bit fed up with excessively easy and hand-holdy modern games - I feel like games have really lost that sense on exploration they used to have. FPS games used to be like a maze you had to navigate, now they're just linear corridors full of exploding barrels.

radiator

I see there's a new Trials game out. I adore this series but the decision to sci-fi it up is baffling, and off-putting - to me. Though they have added tricks, which is something I've wanted them to do since the first game.

JamesC

I've ordered Trials Fusion Deluxe Edition after playing a preview at a work event. I absolutely loved it - so fun. I'm not sure they've Sci-fyed it as much as realised that the skin of the game doesn't actually effect the gameplay one iota. Have fun with the design, I say.

Professor Bear

Checked FTL out based on chatter on previous pages - good game, but not much depth to it despite some fun micromanaging-based gameplay, and perhaps far too many random brick walls for the game to run into.  Yes, you'll think nothing of clicking "replay" and starting from scratch when your crew buys the farm two jumps away from finishing the last sector, but equally that means that failure is an inevitable component of long-term play.
Good fun while it lasts.

King Kong on PS2 - played on a whim while pulling Rogue Trooper off a shelf, and it sure does look its age, which is a shame as it's actually a solid, immersive gaming experience even now if you can get past resolution so low that I had to stop playing after an hour when my eyes were literally watering.  No on-screen HUD, no energy bars, no lives, no score, just a very playable first-person action adventure with heavy doses of retro-pulp fantasy.

GrinningChimera

Back on board for another play through of GTAV. This time doing the other option on all of the heist missions to see what happens differently. If you have already beat the game and not played in a while I recommend picking it up again and playing it this way. Still waiting for a patch with hydraulic suspension for vehicles though.

The Monarch

south park the stick of truth a game so awesome theres a trophy you can get by beating up meth addicts dressed as the main character of breaking bad

Keef Monkey

Professor, I quite enjoyed King Kong back when it came out. Some levels were quite poor (and I didn't like the last chunk of it) but as far as movie tie-ins go it's one of the better ones I reckon.

Been playing Trials Fusion myself Radiator, and after a shakey first impression I'm loving it now. Wasn't keen on the look of it either, but it plays into the track design quite well (there are sort of cybery something or other levels where the track tiles move around or get swapped out while you drive which is quite cool). Gameplay-wise it's still the Trials we know and love thankfully. A little unpolished - my girlfriend managed to break the game on her first try by crossing the finish line upside down, the game couldn't figure out whether it was a pass or a crash so just sat there unresponsive.

Also the announcer dialogue is very, very grating so I keep meaning to have a look to see if it can be switched off (I'm sure that'll be an option). It's okay to hear the first time, but certain lines are scripted to play at certain points on tracks every single time. When it's a game geared around constantly replaying small chunks to nail jumps and get medals and stuff, having those lines repeat like that is just unforgivable, and if you have to repeat a tricky section a couple of dozen times and hear that smarmy git say the same unamusing nonsense every time it really adds a layer of frustration.

Other than that really liking it, the friends leaderboards are well integrated so beating your friends' times is a fun pursuit, and there's the track editor content sitting there so feasibly you'll never run out of tracks to play. A good purchase I reckon (and kudos to Microsoft - I accidentally bought it on 360 instead of XB1 but they were really nice about it and agreed to refund me this one time, they didn't stop the purchase going through though so I've now got it digitally on both platforms which I guess is a bonus. Shame I can't give the extra copy to someone).

Definitely Not Mister Pops

My biggest problem with FTL is the boss fight. Boss fights should be a test of everything you've learned up to that point in the game, but in FTL, the tactics you've been using the whole way through the game are depressingly ineffective against the boss. It's more like a seperate mini-game
You may quote me on that.

Professor Bear

Depends how you've been playing it to that point, as if you've stuck to the same basic ballistic/beam weapons strategy you start out with by necessity, you won't last long.  Ion weapons to disable drones/shields and deploying drones of your own is the most efficient offensive tactic that doesn't run afoul of chance, and remember to upgrade your doors if you don't like dealing with boarding parties.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

That's kind of my point. The first time you come up against the boss, the fairly straight forward approach doesn't work at all. It's not so much a difficulty curve as a wall, and it takes a while to figure out how to break it down
You may quote me on that.

Theblazeuk

Well it really depends on how good your straightforward capabilities are. I had 2 burst lasers mk2, a breach bomb and a 4 second ion gun. Enough firepower to keep their systems down.

Straight up shooting is a fragile tactic though. Killing the crew and keeping one of the gunners alive is best way of dealing with the boss.

First upgrade I get is doors, saves so much trouble.

mogzilla

just had to play dredd vs death again after the dredd vs zombies one  :D still fun how about a hd remake/polish for xbox live?
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: The monarch on 19 April, 2014, 03:11:12 PM
south park the stick of truth a game so awesome theres a trophy you can get by beating up meth addicts dressed as the main character of breaking bad

[spoiler] I've purchased the game and have been playing that game as well and didn't know that. I believe I had played through that part already. It's in the spare room accessed through Kenny's Garage. Yes, I won that scenario, but I not quite sure what my character...a Wizard was wearing or if class effects what clothing and parts that can be worn. It was during the part where he back at school to rescue a future party member from Detention and all the Hall Monitors were Gingers and my character had amassed a small collection of Ginger Haired wigs and assorted freckles that could be added..so I decided to dress him up as a Ginger as much as I could with what I had found and despite eventually completing that mission. I was awarded no special achievements for it. I think by the time I had got him to fight off the Meth Addicts (All three adults....) He was wearing the Wife-Beater tank-top. The Spikey or [/b]Slicked-Back-Black-Hair-Wigs[/b] and the Pointed-Goateed-Beard. I forget what else He was wearing but by the time he fought the Bard for the Stick-Of-Truth. He was dressed as either Elven-Archer (Minus the Pointed-Ears...they were never available as a option...) or Druid.

Anyway, while I have a lot to say about this game......I will say just this......I didn't like it at first, and it took a second play for it to grow on me......

When I had last stopped playing it . I was stuck on the Alien Space ship fighting three Aliens and they were guarding the control panel that releases the first or second victim from the Anal-Probing. (I'm playing the Australian version where all the really raunchy Alien probing is shown. Thing is the Australian or International Censorship Board probably won't be able to stop me from seeing all the censored content uploaded to You-Tube.) I think it's either Randy (The dark haired fellow with a mo...he's one of the dads...) or the Homeless-Dude that is released first.

Though I can't get my character past these three Aliens. Two of them are dressed as Security Guards and one of them is in charge. He or it has more apellations on it's costume. The third one is completely naked or may not be if that's a full body alien suit it's wearing. While the regular Security Alien stand in front of the other two and puts up a Phase-Shield in front of his own body (I'm unsure wether this protect s him and the other two behind him or just him.) He either physically hits my character or uses some sort of telepathic mind-blasting where he throws pinkish globes from his mind at my character. Then the Superior Alien with more flair (It is standing behind both of the other two, so it is right at the back...) would either do the same telepathic mind blast attack it's inferior just did or it does a special Rage based physical attack on my character where it runs past both other Aliens and hits my character several times. (By this stage my character would be dead already...so I know something is wrong with my game...) and then the Alien in the middle wearing nothing. (Apparently.) Will either try the same Telepathic Mind Based attack or if it's the second round of combat and my character is still alive, then he will heal himself and the other two if they've taken damage. As for my character, he would be wearing the Spacesuit and Helmet along with the Laser-Rifle and the Crutch-Of-Weakness taken from the Bard. These weapons appeared to not damage the Aliens so much and I always went for the tough one at the back first, but to no avail. Then I recall that I was given a hint by either Randy or the Homeless-Dude on the coms that I should get my character to use Lightening attacks. So, I equipped him with his first Wand of Lightening or Shock and then I tried the Flaming Wand or Sword with the Strap-On that gives it another 10 points of shock and another one that did bleeding damage. Then I equipped the Dodge-Ball that did 20 points flame damage and then I tried the Elven Bow. (This is all from memory.) Though none of these things made much difference.

I think it's because I had neglected to complete all the side quests before acquiring the Stick-Of-Truth. Maybe I should start again and do them first. I do recall not being able to hand Mr-Slave quest when I had decided to start and complete other quests before I had handed that one in and that was after I had performed Mr-Slave's quest without actually handing it in. So, I think it got broken, because of the way I was handling it and then there was quest where we had to finally confront the Bard
another quest that had to be started and finished where Mr-Slaves's house is (Yes, It's also a drinking establishment called The-Pickled-Donkey (Or Something like that!).) (Triple or Quadruple Parenthesis again....do I get a prize for that?). Yes, I think the game is broken or becomes broken when you do what I did and I couldn't get my character to enter Mr-Slaves house to hand that one in when I wanted to and then after the Bard was defeated.....the game sucks you right in to the part where your character is dragged aboard a alien space ship.

So, how do I get my character past those aliens?

Does completing all the side quests allow him to amass enough or the right equipment and experience to successfully get past the aliens?[/spoiler]

Why do the Alien's go Moo all the time?

Have they some connection with cows?

Were they once cows?

Do they only speak the language of cows, because they are a favourite test subject?

Is there a return of the Mr-Slave's Anal-Burrowing Rodent from that episode?

I am looking forward to finding Jesus and getting access to his special attack ability.

As I found him on a late night episode of South-Park being murdered by Karl while in a jail cell and then radiantly resurrect outside within a crowd of people to assassinate the Pope with a thrown many bladed dagger (A prop taken from the film Krull.) before slipping on a pair of shades after he strikes a deadly pose. This scene searching for on You-Tube if you can get the whole sequence.

I, Cosh

I haven't actually played it yet but I've just discovered a whole bunch of Cave stuff for the iPad, including Dodonpachi Resurrection. I know it's going to be impossible to control properly but I can't stop myself from buying it.
We never really die.