Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaolin_monkey

You are absolutely right - the 360 controller rocks, the PS3/4 controller sucks.  The 360 controller has a nice weight, the thumbsticks feel naturally placed, and the triggers have a nice solid spring action feel. 

On Bad Company 2 I was unstoppable on the 360.  On the PS3 I floundered around like a sack of grenades waiting to explode at the first sign of trouble.

The main reason I've gone with a PS4 this time around is 'cos all my Battlefield 4 chums have one.  I can't wait for a third party to bring out a controller that emulates the 360 one.

Goaty

JamesC

Personally I really like the Dual Shock 4. It's a good size for my hands and I find the sticks and trigger placement very comfortable.
Mind you, I didn't mind the DS3 either (though preferred the 360 controller). To be honest I think so much thought and design goes into creating first party controllers these days that there isn't really a bad one on the market (and before anyone says anything, I actually quite like the WiiU controller but wish they'd bring the cost down a bit).

Professor Bear

I hated the 360 controller so much that it eventually drove me off the console, which is odd, as I was just fine with the controller for the original Xbox and in theory they're the same thing except for the black/white buttons nobody remembered were there.
The imprecision of the more rounded digital pad (a bizarre design choice given that the whole point of a digital controller is its digital precision over analogue) combined with the over-busy console dashboard was a nightmare on its own, but the chunky feel of the whole article reinforces the feeling of using a child's toy.  Paradoxically, the PS2/3/4 controllers have been shamelessly lifted from the design of the SNES controller, which was a child's toy, yet the smaller size creates the impression of a process of ergonomic design in action over the various console generations - even though I know they've really just nicked the SNES controller, painted it black, and made the L2 and R2 buttons progressively naffer.  That touchpad can fuck right off, too.

Zenith 666

Don't know how to add a link to page (for shame).the Cronusmax allows you to use any pad on any console or pc for roughly £40.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Zenith 666 on 01 September, 2014, 05:49:28 PM
Don't know how to add a link to page (for shame).the Cronusmax allows you to use any pad on any console or pc for roughly £40.

Hmm, it seems to do every variation except 360 controller on PS4. Reviews ain't great either.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I found analogue sticks work better when you smear cheese around their bases. Cheddar at room temperature works best.
You may quote me on that.

CheechFU

Rule #17 of the pc gaming rulebook.
game pads should only be used for games that involve leaping from one platform to another in order to rescue a princess of your chosen anime.

playing fps games on a console is a lot like an inflatable sex doll. It may seem ok from a distance but up close it's so very very wrong.
And bad.

I got another one
Playing fps games on a console is a lot like Celtic FC. You're not as good as you think you are.

ThryllSeekyr

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: CheechFU on 01 September, 2014, 11:04:11 PM

Playing fps games on a console is a lot like Celtic FC. You're not as good as you think you are.

You're not wrong. On Bad Company 2 on the 360 I would ace most matches. The same game on the pc, and I was rarely out of mid-scoreboard rankings, despite being more comfortable with keyboard play than controller play. Battlefield 3 on the PC was a far superior game than it's console counterparts, in part because it could support far more players per map, but I just didn't have the twitch reflex to match all the youngsters, plus I find it easier to gather a good squad on console versions.

radiator

I can never quite shake the feeling that the Playstation controller is inferior because the analogue sticks were essentially bolted on to an existing design (which makes their placement a little odd) whereas the Xbox controller feels far more ergonomic and well thought out.

I also find the analogue sticks to be a bit loose.

It's one of the main reasons the 360 is my console of choice for multi format games.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 01 September, 2014, 11:06:49 AM
Picked up State of Decay whilst it was £3. Fun enough to begin with, wish it was a bit less Dead Risingy? Only played 30 minutes this morning before work though. Just the guns seemed a little pointless compared to the power of my 2X4.

Same here, even though I have it on X-Box-Live!

At the moment, (After remembering that I read about this MOD in a gaming magazine!) and since I had purchased a bundle of the Civilisation Complete Edition (No I didn't really, I brought Civ 5 bundled with the two or three games that came before it in the same series.) I also brought Beyond Earth

Anyway, I am interested in getting this Faerun Mod (Don't know why it hasn't been translated to English!) to work on Civ 5. It's supposed to and it's based on fantasy Advanced Dungeons & Dragons world belonging to Forgotten Realms. If you played that popular table top role playing game (I just mentioned!) in the during a large chunk of the early 90's. Then you will know what I'm talking about.

Otherwise, check out these other games based on the world of Faerun.

Neverwinter Nights - One and Two I once tried this game on a few occasions while using one of the internet gaming cafes down in Sydney N.S.W. and thought it need more work. Although I was very impressed with how they kept most the A.D.&D. mechanics in it and even displayed them as numbers and modifers on the screen. 

Baldurs Gate I purchased this game in the days when I was always short of cash and living from pay check to pay check. I actually recall thinking to myself that I could spend my last $80.00 on a trip to the brothel or this game. I'm not sure of the exact outcome, but I do own this on the original cd's (As I still have them right now!) and remember spending money on a hooker either on that day or when I got payed two weeks later. The game itself wasn't all that. Yet, I assume you get more out of it when you invest more time in playing it than I actually did. I only purchased it again on Steam when it was upgraded to the Enhanced - Edition. I still haven't played it much since I played the original. Which had stopped doing after I got sick of controlling a entire party of different character who I had sent in different direction while exploring a dungeon. Like I wrote, it needs my full attention and commitment to play this.

Neverwinter Online Since I downloaded and installed the free version of this game. I was more impressed and made more of effort to get into it before the computer I was playing it one started playing up. As side from the few usual problems I noticed with a lot of these multiplayer online role playing games and the fact that it seemed like it played more like arcade game rather the computer adaption of the table top version. I could get really hooked into playing this game and may lay into once I get some spare time after it's been downloaded.

There are also a lot novels I used read that were based on this world. Ice Wind Dale trilogy was one of my favourites and their is even a expansion to game I just mentioned that is specific to that area on the map.

If you want to know more about this. Read this Mod of the Week: Faerun, for Civilization V.

See if one of yous can figure out while I'm waiting for the game to prep on Steam.

CheechFU

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 01 September, 2014, 11:04:53 PM
Quote from: Goaty on 01 September, 2014, 02:50:53 PM
Steam controller?

Wow...where can I get one of those......
you'll have to wait until it's released. plus as well as the two track pads I read that an analogue stick had been added instead of the buttons in the bottom left

Satanist

Ah the PC master race, still acting like that spotty kid in the playground that owned an Amstrad  :lol: PCs are for work, wanking and stealing stuff

The 360 controls are the best and thats the end of that. It was actually designed to erm control games.

As stated above the PS4 controls are a SNES pad minus the good D-pad with 2 sticks glued on and now a pointless touch pad right in the middle of it. Oh and it also lights up.

Anyhoo Ive just got into Battlefield 4 on PS4 after spending way to many years on COD. Its brilliant and so frustrating all at the same time. Roll on Destiny.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?