Main Menu

Disney's Art Attack >:(

Started by Definitely Not Mister Pops, 12 June, 2011, 11:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Definitely Not Mister Pops

So, I've just seen an ad on the telly, the Disney Channel is launching a new series of Art Attack, and Neil Buchanon isn't in it >:(

I hated them before, but they've gone too far now. Neil Buchanon is an institution that is too often overlooked. He's been wearing that red sweater for nigh on twenty years now. Bad enough that he doesn't have his own National Art Museum, now this?

I shall miss the days of giant pictures made out of sports/fishing/gardening/etc paraphernalia.

The man is the greatest British artist of our age. That Damien Hirst is a flim-flam and that Tracy Emin is just an untidy drunk. Don't even get me started on that vandal, Banksy.

I am outraged
You may quote me on that.

Misanthrope

Quote from: pops1983 on 12 June, 2011, 11:48:30 PM
So, I've just seen an ad on the telly, the Disney Channel is launching a new series of Art Attack, and Neil Buchanon isn't in it >:(

I hated them before, but they've gone too far now. Neil Buchanon is an institution that is too often overlooked. He's been wearing that red sweater for nigh on twenty years now. Bad enough that he doesn't have his own National Art Museum, now this?

I shall miss the days of giant pictures made out of sports/fishing/gardening/etc paraphernalia.

The man is the greatest British artist of our age. That Damien Hirst is a flim-flam and that Tracy Emin is just an untidy drunk. Don't even get me started on that vandal, Banksy.

I am outraged

I felt the same when they carried on with the show SMART after the tragic death of Mark Speight.
Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

JOE SOAP

I often work with the director who devised and directed Art Attack, he's like a cross between Richard O'Brien and John Lydon, hilarious character.

radiator

Are you talking about Tim Edmunds, Joe? In which case I've worked with him too (but don't really recognise him from that description!).

I used to work on Art Attack - it was my first job out of Uni. Such a lovely group of people to work with, happy times...

I worked with Neil Buchanan in the studio when we were filming - nice chap, but I doubt he'd remember me - I was a lowly assistant and was only there for one series. I have a photo of me and him on the set which is the envy of all my friends.

As far as I know his first love was always music, and he has a recording studio in his house where he works with local bands and records with his own band Marseille - they were around in the seventies but have since reformed and are touring again. Good for him, I say!

vzzbux

I noticed this on adverts yesterday. Must be a real kick in the nuts for Neil Buchanan (Who now apparently lives in France).

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

House of Usher

"Hi, Neil. We're doing another series of Art Attack. We thought about getting you to present it, but apparently now you live in France, so we thought it'd just be easier to get someone else to present it who lives nearer. 'K THX, BAI!"
STRIKE !!!

Spaceghost

I always found Neil Buchanan slightly creepy, like a weird uncle trying too hard to be your friend.

Tony Hart was miles better.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

House of Usher

"In 1990 he began presenting the CITV show Art Attack from its inception. In March 2000, Britt Allcroft, subsequently Gullane Entertainment, purchased the rights to the series from Buchanan in a £14 million transaction."

He and his partners sold it for £14,000,000 ?

Yeah, and I'd feel snubbed too if they didn't invite me back to present a new series. My heart bleeds.
STRIKE !!!

radiator

Quote"In 1990 he began presenting the CITV show Art Attack from its inception. In March 2000, Britt Allcroft, subsequently Gullane Entertainment, purchased the rights to the series from Buchanan in a £14 million transaction."

He and his partners sold it for £14,000,000 ?

Well, yes. Wasn't sure whether to bring this up, but yeah - little known fact: Buchanan is a multi-millionaire. He made enough out of Art Attack to never have to work again.

I very much doubt he minds Art Attack being brought back without him - indeed his own involvement in the show was naturally winding down when I worked on it. Don't know the guy personally, so I'm just going from what I've heard, but as far as I'm aware he's very contentedly retired from showbiz, and is following his passion for music. As I said, good for him!

M.I.K.

Neil Buchanan is what would happen if you locked Keith Chegwin in a store-room full of art supplies and access to videos of Take Hart for a few years with no direct human contact.

Misanthrope

Quote from: M.I.K. on 13 June, 2011, 01:08:05 PM
Neil Buchanan is what would happen if you locked Keith Chegwin in a store-room full of art supplies and access to videos of Take Hart for a few years with no direct human contact.

Except Neil is talented.
Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

M.I.K.

He's a pretty damn good guitar player, I'll give him that.

On the other hand, don't underestimate Chegwin. Has a decent enough singing voice.

SmallBlueThing

"I just wanna be a winner,
Just a little oscar please,
Or a box of OBEs,
Wouldnt mind if it was Nobel,
Even an Eric would serve me well.
See one, feel one, touch one,
Win an award!"  ?

SBT

M.I.K.

They don't write them like that anymore.