Main Menu

2000 AD Digital Archive

Started by Emperor, 13 June, 2011, 05:57:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emperor

A subscription that gives you access to the digital back catalogue.

Marvel have Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited where you pay a subscription to to get access to a range of digital comics in their archive:
http://marvel.com/digital_comics/unlimited

The HTML5-based launch of the online Playboy offering has been pointed out as being a possible future direction for comics:
http://paperkeg.com/post/6383197266/playboy-digital

Perhaps having a feature that links the stories together too, so you can follow that through various issues.

As well as giving readers access to the back catalogue it'd be a nice incentive to keep rolling back the digital offerings and it'd be an easy way to give droids access to back issues for research, etc.

Just a thought.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Batman's Superior Cousin

Or you can just read the graphic novels of said stories back to back but that's just me. But I know what you're saying (& mean) and agree with you mate so I second the motion.

Tharg, are you listening mate? We need an Online Library or Archive now please!!!
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

KEVN

I have to agree. I have over 1600 Progs & over 200 megs, most of them now scanned and on laptop. Most of my collection is in storage as I'm in a small rental just now. I would absolutly love it if a sub to 200AD & Meg gave me access to a digital archive. Even if it was restricted in proportion to how long I've subscribed. No intention of buying both physical & digital copies, but always want to support 2000AD publisers and pay so it keeps producing new material.

w3bz

It's a thought we've discussed for sure - currently on the list of features...

lol'd at the "Yeah someone pointed out what Playboy have done...not that I was looking or anything..."

flesario

Trouble is why would people then buy trades? You could just sling together any compilation you wished on an ipad etc.

IndigoPrime

Because some people still prefer getting away from glowing screens now and again. I know when I sat down with the new Dredd trade last night, that was more satisfying than pawing at a PDF or JPEGs on a screen. (And this comes from someone who took, um, 'dodgy' copies of the entire third run of the Meg on holiday last year.)

I'd say digital subs going as far back as possible would be a really great move. I'd just love it for the convenience, even though I've (currently) no intention of getting rid of my paper collection (of every 2000 AD and every Meg bar, I think, two).

Little_Tengu

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 14 June, 2011, 07:53:31 PM
Because some people still prefer getting away from glowing screens now and again. I know when I sat down with the new Dredd trade last night, that was more satisfying than pawing at a PDF or JPEGs on a screen. (And this comes from someone who took, um, 'dodgy' copies of the entire third run of the Meg on holiday last year.)

I'd say digital subs going as far back as possible would be a really great move. I'd just love it for the convenience, even though I've (currently) no intention of getting rid of my paper collection (of every 2000 AD and every Meg bar, I think, two).

Yeah, there's certainly something to be said for tangible illustrated lit that not even a digital copy can replace (unless they somehow get "texture sensitive" pages somewhere down the line). There's just something so indescribably cold about a cbr/cbz file that is really off putting, especially when I trying to read something with thirty pages and above.

But yes, a completely encompassing digital archive for 2000 AD & The Megazine would be lovely. I also don't think Rebellion would have any problem selling mass reprints like the Complete Case Files either, TPBs are always in season

Molch-R

Just as an FYI, we've no plans to put the entire back catalogue online. While we'll be adding more back issues over the course of this year, I believe they won't be going beyond 2000.

opaque

Back to 2000 is pretty good though. I suppose offering specific issues from before then might be an idea for the future. Say the first 10 progs, or the first story from one character etc.

opaque

Or of course you could just buy the complete collection from Ebay for £20 despite it being reported to Ebay for years!