Main Menu

Dredd at San Diego Comic Con?

Started by Dreddzilla, 14 June, 2011, 12:22:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreddzilla

Any truth to the rumor that Dredd will have a sneak peek premiere at SDCC?

blackmocco

Be very surprising if they didn't have SOMEthing to show.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Beaky Smoochies

Considering the movie is released in about seven or eight months, it would be insane NOT to build some awareness in the U.S. of Dredd's impending release, probably a teaser trailer and some stills, maybe even a panel or a presentation of some kind, with a personal apearance by Karl Urban certain to make some waves.  Either way, I can't see them passing up such a media-heavy event, would you...?
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

Buddy

Promote the Dredd movie?

At a comic event?

Are you mad!!!!!!

Danbo

Dredd will have not have much competition if he does turn up because some of the big names are not going to bother,too much money and they don't need to apparently because we will watch the next biggie anyway?
http://www.worstpreviews.com/headline.php?id=21969&count=0
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

Michaelvk

You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

blackmocco

Quote from: DanboJohnJ on 14 June, 2011, 08:39:33 AM
Dredd will have not have much competition if he does turn up because some of the big names are not going to bother,too much money and they don't need to apparently because we will watch the next biggie anyway?
http://www.worstpreviews.com/headline.php?id=21969&count=0

That's not the main reason though. The BIG fear from the movie studios is they'll show something and it'll get a negative reaction from the fans.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/13/business/media/13comic.html

"Comic-Con, as a growing number of movie marketers are realizing, has turned into a treacherous place. Studios come seeking buzz, but the Comic-Con effect can be more negative than positive. The swarm of dedicated fans — many of whom arrive at the convention in Japanese anime drag or draped in Ewok fur — can instantly sour on a film if it doesn't like what it sees, leaving publicity teams with months of damaging Web chatter to clean up.

"It's a red-letter opportunity, but you shouldn't go simply because it sits there on the calendar," said Michael Moses, co-president of marketing for Universal Pictures. "You have to be absolutely certain you have goods ready that can really make a difference for your film."

Even a joyous reaction at Comic-Con, which takes place in San Diego from July 21 to 24, can skew expectations, as a platoon of studios learned last year, if hard-core enthusiasm doesn't spill into the mainstream.

Warner got burned with "Sucker Punch," which had fans vibrating with excitement in July but failed in its March release. The millions that Disney spent on "Tron: Legacy" at Comic-Con had a less-than-fantastic payoff. A stunt involving video of attendees trapped in coffins made a splash for Lionsgate's "Buried," but the film sold just $1 million in tickets when it opened two months later.

"Scott Pilgrim vs. the World" was the big alarm. That Universal movie was the belle of last year's convention, and the studio spent heavily to make it so, draping the entire side of a skyscraper with an ad, for instance. Released just three weeks after the convention, "Scott Pilgrim" fizzled and the $60 million movie sold just $32 million in tickets."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com

The Sherman Kid

Excellent post Blackmocco, that was very interesting

Steve Green

So judging by the tone of that article, there is no benefit whatsoever?

If the geeks hate what they see, they've got enough power to poison the interwebs against a film, and if they like it, they're a minority and don't have enough of an impact of a genre film?

I haven't seen Sucker Punch or Scott Pilgrim. There may have been a buzz from San Diego about Sucker Punch, but most of the views I read prior to its release were pretty lukewarm.

Scott Pilgrim, although I love Edgar Wright's stuff, I'm just incredibly picky about what I see at the cinema these days, it's too expensive and SP just passed me by.

blackmocco

Quote from: Steve Green on 14 June, 2011, 07:52:28 PM
So judging by the tone of that article, there is no benefit whatsoever?

If the geeks hate what they see, they've got enough power to poison the interwebs against a film, and if they like it, they're a minority and don't have enough of an impact of a genre film?

I haven't seen Sucker Punch or Scott Pilgrim. There may have been a buzz from San Diego about Sucker Punch, but most of the views I read prior to its release were pretty lukewarm.

Scott Pilgrim, although I love Edgar Wright's stuff, I'm just incredibly picky about what I see at the cinema these days, it's too expensive and SP just passed me by.

Hahaha! I think 'lukewarm' is being very generous to Sucker Punch and the reaction it got here in the States when it opened: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/sucker-punch-2010/

As for the studios and their fears about a movie being well-received, it's a tough sell. Of course Sucker Punch got great buzz at Comic-Con. Hot chicks in lingerie with big guns, robots and dragons playing to a crowd of mostly sad males who live in their mother's basement...? (For those of you who'll accuse me of generalizing, trust me: I've been there numerous times. Every cliche has some basis in truth and no cliche more so than at San Diego Comic-Con. It's like a portal to another dimension I hope I never, ever get stranded in...)

The point being Sucker Punch was never going to play to a mainstream audience anyway and the studios should have known that going in. William Goldman's timeless quote about Hollywood and Hollywood executives: "Nobody knows anything."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com

Hoagy

I think they should play the low budget angle. Look at the recent breakers of the glass ceilings. Films such as Moon, District Nine, Monsters(maybe not monsters). Thing is, in a corner you must think of an original approach and the lack of funds or faith in the production can build some imaginative approaches to PR.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Steve Green

When I first saw the trailer I just rolled my eyes, and guessed that it wasn't for me... seems like there were a lot of other people who felt the same.

JOE SOAP

Why they're trusting Snyder with Superman beggars belief even with the shadow of the Nolans (not the band) hanging over.

Beaky Smoochies

I'm actually pretty interested in the new Supes movie, Zack Snyder did what most people thought impossible- bringing Watchmen to the big-screen faithfully- and Chris Nolan's 'godfather' role over the whle project may ensure it's a quality movie, but time will tell, I guess...
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

radiator

I've read that the new Superman movie was handed to Snyder because the studio wanted someone who wouldn't rock the boat too much.

Apparently they know the script is a bit of a stinker, but it's too late to do anything about, so they didn't want to involve a director who would insist on making changes and disrupting everything.

That's probably a load of bollocks though.