Main Menu

beeb to dramatise conflict over Life of Brian

Started by Zarjazzer, 21 June, 2011, 10:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zarjazzer

The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Dandontdare

This came out when I was at school and our bell-end of a headmaster was instrumental in getting it banned in Blackburn.

Ironically, he was generally known by his initials - PFJ. Maybe he just took offence personally at the Popular Front of Judea scene!

Spaceghost

Quote from: Dandontdare on 21 June, 2011, 10:15:03 PM
This came out when I was at school and our bell-end of a headmaster was instrumental in getting it banned in Blackburn.

Ironically, he was generally known by his initials - PFJ. Maybe he just took offence personally at the Popular Front of Judea scene!

FUUUUUCK OFF! It's the People's Front of Judea!

Tut! Popular Front...SPLITTERS!!!
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Richmond Clements

Nah, we're the Judean People's Front, mate.

James Stacey

Richmond Clements

I know it is an obvious truth, but it has always amused me that the people objecting to this movie for mocking their Christ character really do not see that it is, in fact, mocking them.

Michaelvk

As an observation, religious people rarely have a sense of humour about these sort of things..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Michaelvk on 22 June, 2011, 10:23:53 AM
As an observation, religious people rarely have a sense of humour about these sort of things..

Too true... although to be fair, I've known a couple, one a minister in the church, who were fans of this movie.

TordelBack

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 22 June, 2011, 10:18:35 AM
I know it is an obvious truth, but it has always amused me that the people objecting to this movie for mocking their Christ character really do not see that it is, in fact, mocking them.

That is the hilarious thing about the reaction to the film - when I finally got to see the forbidden dark blasphemy of LoB (it was banned in Ireland until 1986/7 - whereupon my friends and I went to see it in the cinema at least once a week for several months, nice PR job lads), I was amazed to see that it never once treated Christ with anything resembling disrespect (I was expecting fart jokes at the very least) - in his tiny cameos he is dignified, holy and in line with his gospel depiction(s).  The kind of fratricidal nutjobs who follow messiahs, on the other hand...

James Stacey

Bit of a sweeping generalisation. The religious types who get up in arms about it rarely have a sense of humour might be a more accurate comment :) . I'm a Christian and I think it's hilarious. I saw it first at a church youth group and I've also watched it with a mate who is a minister. Always goes down well. As RAC says, it's more of a comment on the very type of person who complained about it.

Beside it has Douglas Adams in it so must be Arsom.

Richmond Clements

QuoteBeside it has Douglas Adams in it so must be Arsom.

And also possibly the Funniest Man Who Ever Lived- Spike Milligan.

Okay, job done- I need to watch this again.

Proudhuff

you are all individuals
DDT did a job on me

vzzbux

Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Woolly

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 22 June, 2011, 10:49:28 AM
QuoteBeside it has Douglas Adams in it so must be Arsom.

And also possibly the Funniest Man Who Ever Lived- Spike Milligan.

Okay, job done- I need to watch this again.

And lets not forget George Harrison  :)